Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EB Stone Cactus mix?

Posted by mike22 East Bay, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 16:11

I have a number of citrus growing in terracotta pots using EB Stone's "edna's best" potting soil. The combo seems to work well during the summer, but the soil seems much to wet during the winter (pots stay outside). Looking at EB Stone's website for an alternative planting medium, I discovered that they recommended using their cactus mix for citrus as well. So off to the nursery I go to buy the cactus mix...

Until the guy at the nursery practically calls me an idiot for even considering such an idea. He couldn't tell me "why" it was a bad idea. He could only tell me that they would never recommend such a thing.

So, my question is: Why would the EB Stone cactus mix be such a bad medium for growing citrus? Has anyone used it?

Thanks.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EB Stone Cactus mix?

well, in a couple years once my citrus needs it i will be using Al's Gritty mix. i ahve no idea why he said its bad to use. the only thing i can think of is it has sand in it which over time will sink to the bottom and may cause draiage issues. i bought 2 bags a few months ago and well they ahd been used to i could not return them, but i made my own version of al's 5-1-1 mix using the cactus mix, orchid bark, perlite, and sunshine growers mix( i had all but the Orchid mix on hand) i made it 7-2-1-1. just to make sure that i had proper drainage and so far so good! the citrus i planted in this had the beginings of root rot, so i barerooted and treated the roots and planted in this mix and that was over a month ago and it it still haging in there. still has about 12 leaves and no dead branches.

you can use it, but i would suggest researching al's gritty mix or the 5-1-1 mix. both are well drainging and there are peopel on here that swear by them for all types of plants/trees !

good luck and keep us in the loop!

o

Thanks Spongey. Perhaps I'll try your method and blend the cactus mix with the EB potting soil. (Since, I too, already have all of the materials...)

o

good luck! i would add some bark to the mix! it will increase the drainage and aeration!

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here