Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy Leaves Meyer Lemon

Posted by Mschm75 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 16:14

Hello all !!!

I am adding some pictures of a young dwarf meyer lemon.
All the leaves on the right side are new growth that started less than 3 weeks ago. It is growing like crazy. My only concern is that the leaves are very droopy and lighter in color. I live in Montana where we can get pretty dry and hot in the summer. I am using a pine bark based 5-1-1 mix with Osmocote slow release fertilizer. This soil mix drains very fast. I have also been using a soluble liquid fertilizer once a week ( A more diluted dosage).So far I water every 6-7 days when the soil is more dry. It gets 8 hours a day of sunlight. Side note* I brought my plant indoors before I started writing this message and the leaves are firming up. Could the direct heat be making the leaves sag? This concerns me a little bit because it is currently 56 degrees outside. Also the root system looks very healthy there just isn't a very big root system yet. I have not yet checked the PH levels either. Also the leaves are soft and I was curious how long they normally take to firm up. I don't know, maybe i'm being overly paranoid:P Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!

Mike

This post was edited by Mschm75 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 16:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy Leaves Meyer Lemon

Good morning, totally normal to have young growth droop in heat and Sun. I usually keep my citrus in part sun while new leaves are pushing out and I give them a little more water to deal with the heat. Since your tree drains quickly you may need more water while they are outside.Your tree looks very healthy . The leaves will be lighter in color and softer until they mature . I know that my trees vary in time to maturity, but it will happen soon. Good growing, Jeb

o

Yes, Kev is spot on..Especially if you are talking about the hot sun hitting your tree before the root system heats above 55, it will do this often....

Should be fine if you do what Jeb says or find a way to keep the roots warmer than 55 before the hot sun hits it...
I keep mine like that in an area where the sun hits it later in the day so the root zone has time to warm up to prapare for the hot sun...

Just don't confuse this with having to water again when the mix is already moist..Believe it or not many do and end up over watering their trees....

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:16

o

Thank you both for the input. I always forget about root temperature !!! I

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here