Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

From Day One to Now.

Meyer, Key and washington naval when I first bought them. May 2010. My first ever grafted trees. These are now in #7 pots, 7 gallon.
{{gwi:594733}}

and now.
Meyer, naval, key
{{gwi:594734}}

mike

Comments (16)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Good job, old son.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks John

I was hoping by this fall but probably now next spring to build a hoop house with a minimum 10' center height and put a few meyer in the ground permanently. Ill never have the production you do but if I can get a few gallons of lemonade with a few left over for my beers Id be a happy man.

Mike

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

You would be amazed how much production you can get from a garden Meyer. Last year my two 5 year old Meyers in my Antigua garden produced 900 lemons, including the show quality lemons you may have seen in some of my posting (braggings??)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes, from the very first day I met you and with all your enthusiasm, I knew you could do such a good job. Great job pal. I am very proud of you...Looking good, wait, GREAT!

Mike

• baconquest
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing Mike!

It gives us hope that we too can be successful! My Keffir Lime looks just like the "before" pics of yours, the trunk is about pencil width. I'm curious as to how much pruning you had to do to encourage the bushiness of your plants, or if it just naturally happened on its own?

• susanne42
    10 years ago

feel like a cheater with buying trees that are already the size of yours.
    how did you over winter them?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats a lot of fruits John. I would be drinking lemonade day and night with all that.

Meyer Mike. how are ya buddy. Havent heard from you in a while. How have you plants been doing. Guess what. I got a Gardenia again and it is thriving. as soon as I got it I repotted, feed with Foliage pro w/vinegar and you know what. New green leaves and huge buds.

You have been a great mentor to my plants. Thanks!

Bacon. I have done no pruning short of below graft shoots and the occasional erroneous water sprout. My Washington naval has never seen pruners.

Susanne. I have had a greenhouse ever since i started in citrus. Being able to replicate the exact conditions they like has made growing them very easy.

mike

• susanne42
    10 years ago

mike lucky you.
    no greenhouse here but planning to keep them under artificial light in a heated room. watering with temperate water and misting twice a week i hope to get them going through the winter without any damage.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

susanne

Thats the secret. warm room + added light= grrooouuutttthhhhh

sorry no pics

• susanne42
    10 years ago

steve thank you for the encouragement :)
    looks like i just need to add a magnifying glass to check for bugs.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I take a picture with my cheap 8 megapixel camera on macro and view it at 200%. you can almost see bacterium. Best of all the image doesn't shake

• SacramentoCanuck
    10 years ago

I love before and after pics. Thanks for sharing! They look great!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Very nice job, Mike! So nice to see the progression and you must feel pretty good about doing such a great grafting job.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Mike

What rootstock did you use.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Youre welcome Sacramento. i like showing them off.

Patty, thanks for the nice words. Your advice over the years has been a huge help. Thank you.

Actually I didnt graft these. I bought them that way at Lowes.

Im not quite that good yet,:(

Steve, no idea what they are on other than some form of trifoliate. Only know that because they have had rootstock suckers in the past.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike, from humble beginnings to proud bushy plants!
    Well done, sir!

Josh