Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evdesert

It's a Charlie Brown satsuma!

I was out at my local lowes yesterday and happened upon a group of fruit trees from Duarte farms that were marked down 75%. Most of the trees were just about dead and I noticed this little Owari satsuma mandarin tree behind the peach, plum and olive trees. At $3.50 I couldn't pass it up, even if it doesn't make it through my blazing hot summer. I had an old resin pot leftover from the lavender I grew this winter because those are annuals for us here in the desert and thought, why not, there are lots of folks here on the forum that have amazing citrus planted in pots. So here it is in it's new 7 gallon home, hopefully I will be able to breathe some life into this little tree, the graft tag says it was grafted 10/6/2010 so it is almost 4 years old and on carrizo root stock. Wish me luck!
Evan

{{gwi:595225}}

{{gwi:595228}}

And there are some fresh leaves so it will hopefully start growing again.

{{gwi:595230}}

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Hope it doesn't snap at that crook in the stem/trunk.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think it will, it was tied so tight to it's support stick that it grew all funky like that because it had no where to go except out! That's my favorite part of the tree, it gives it character. I think I am going to move it up against my east facing side of the house so it only gets sun until about 1 in the afternoon. That should give it a better chance for survival.
    Evan

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Evan pretty nice Charlie Brown tree for $ 3.50 . Duarte trees are fantastic I have 4 of them . Evan you might want to sure up the plant a little . I would be worried a strong gust of wind come up and blow your tree right out of the pot. You see you just repotted your tree so the roots haven't spread out in the soil yet , and they are probably near the surface . It wouldn't take much of a wind and your backyard is very open and my I say beautiful . Her is a picture of a minneola and a tango I tied very loosely to the pool not to tight but it is there to catch the tree if a big gust of wind comes . I will not need to do this next year . I know it is not nice looking but it's peace of mind. The roots will fill out the pot this year.

Brian

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the compliment on my yard. Your tango and tangelo are really nice too! If it gets too windy I will definitely tie it to a bamboo stick for support. I like to let the tree move around a little that let's the trunk strengthen naturally. I will keep an eye on it and add support if needed. Thanks!
    Evan

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it appears my little Owari satsuma is going to pull through, it probably heard me talking about tossing it because it hadn't done anything but lose leaves for 4 months. Now that the weather is starting to cool down it's beginning to have a growth flush all over the top branches, that's a good sign! I guess I'll have to keep this little guy around for a while. I've never grown citrus in a container so this is a learning experience for me.

{{gwi:595234}}

Evan

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

That is a steal of a tree! I would stake it in until that 'trunk' beefs up. Will you eventually put it in the ground?

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave, I'm still not sure about putting it in ground, I'm running out of room. My backyard is slowly but surely becoming nothing but a citrus grove. I bought it because it was cheap and sitting in the lowes graveyard (clearance section) and couldn't let it go to waste and to try and see if I could get potted citrus to grow here in the desert. When I found this tree it was tied so tightly to the stake in its pot that it grew with that funny bend in the trunk. We had a haboob here last month with winds of 65 MPH and the tree held fast without blowing over or snapping the trunk so I figure I'll leave it alone. If the tree lasts through this winter I might be able to find a place in my yard to plant it in ground.
    Evan

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Make sure to give it a good feeding. At zone 9b you should be safe for some time. When the nigh temps get low, just bring it inside to keep the roots warm. Your tree should do well next spring in the ground. My trees seem to do better in the fall too.

If the tree dies you are only out $3.50
    If it lives you're ahead $46.50
    Take good care. The only choice of citrus in Cincinnati is what I can find in fruit at the grocery store that is not seedless.

Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I agree with Dave - I would double stake it so it can still flex in the wind, but not snap. Since you're seeing new leaf flush, you may end up with a bigger canopy than that thin trunk can safely support. Just because it didn't snap with the last haboob, doesn't mean it wouldn't snap in half with the next one, with a larger canopy. And, doubt you'd ever need to bring the tree in unless we have another winter of 2012, with bizarre low temps. John mentioned placing the pot on a piece of wood, which would insulate it from the cement patio. A good idea if temps do drop to the mid-30's.

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good thoughts Patty, I didn't really think about the fact that if it does end up filling out and grows a decent sized canopy it would be too much for the tiny trunk to handle. All I see right now is a few half dead leaves on a twig, it is hard to see it in my mind with a full canopy. I actually have it raised up on 2 - 2"x4"s so that it will drain properly, it was holding water under the pot against the concrete so i put it on the wood. If it gets too cold this winter I will just drag it into the kitchen, easy enough to do through the sliding glass door. And if it does do well I will be planting it in ground, I just ran home for lunch and was looking at a couple spots in my yard that I could plant it.
    Evan