Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfrohman

Help! 2 leaf types on Kaffir Lime?

cfrohman
9 years ago

Hello,

I have a several year old Kaffir Lime tree that is potted. I noticed today that one side of the tree has leaves that look different from the traditional two-connected-leaf Kaffir pattern. I always thought that perhaps the Kaffir Lime simply produced two different types of leaf patterns, but now I think that it is probably the rootstock. Unfortunately, the tree has grown a lot so I can't identify the location of the rootstock. The leaves in question are somewhat pointy and grouped in 3s, like a trifoliate (but not exactly in shape). They are less thick then the double kaffir leaves. However, they do still smell strongly of lime. In addition, the side of the tree with the odd leaves has the characteristic kaffir lime thorns. The branches on both sides look identical too. Is this the graft growing out, or still the Kaffir Lime? If it is the graft, is it safe to remove. It is probably at least 1/2 the size of the overall tree at this point. Will cutting it off kill the entire tree, or is it safe to do so?

Thanks!
Charlie

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living