Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrivera2585

My lemons taste terrible!

hrivera2585
14 years ago

I just bought a home and the lemons on the tree in my backyard taste awful. They are not sour at all and have a very strange flavor that's kind of hard to describe. They are almost sweet. The skin of the fruit before you cut it smells great, like a lemon should.

I don't know what I can do. Is there a type of fertilizer or mulch that I could possibly put around the trunk? I read in an article that says there shouldn't be any grass growing around the base, which there is, but I don't think this would be the cause?? I have tried looking up this problem on various websites, but have not had much luck. I'd appreciate any input or suggesstions. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• starloc
    14 years ago

It could be a meyer lemon, they are sweeter than `normal` lemons, if so they can be harvested a bit earlier than when they are fully ripe and they will not be as sweet, if you take a photo of the fruit and of a leaf someone should be able to say wether its a meyer lemon or not as they have slightly different leaves and the fruit is usualy slightly more orange/darker yellow when fully ripe

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Not to disagree...but, I don't think its Meyer lemon, I have this one and it taste great! Although, Meyer lemons are not known to be as sour as Lisbon or Eureka lemons, it definitely doesn't have a strange flavor in my opinion. It is of excellent quality and taste IMHO.

This is only a guess, but maybe it is some type of unknown seedling or a grafted lemon that lost its graft somehow and the rootstock is what's left and bearing fruit. This happened to a friend's neighbor. He gave me some of the lemon fruit, it looks and smells like lemons...but was "horrible"! He told me its some type of unknown lemon that grew after the hurricane broke the tree, this seedling grew from the ground and now these are the lemons that it produces. He has since replaced it with a Meyer Lemon tree. Again, this is just a guess... hopefully someone here might be of more help.

• starloc
    14 years ago

The description of smells and looks like a lemon, but not sour at all, to me sounds like a meyer, i have a meyer and thats how i would describe it, to me i would also use words like nasty about the meyer
    I would think if it was rootstock off the tree, then maybe a volkamer lemon as it is used as a rootstock sometimes, they taste like a regular lemon, the usual trifolate rootstocks etc all have very nasty taste and i would say were very very sour and bitter, not sweet at all, most do not look like lemons either

• hrivera2585
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the in-put, everyone. I will look up the meyer lemons and see if this is what I have.

Interesting note about the rootstock. I will have to look into this, as well.

Also, my home was vacant for about 2 years before we bought it, so I know that the lemon tree and other plants have not been tended to in at least that long. And since we live quite inland from the coast, it gets very hot here during the spring and summer months. If the lemons still taste this bad after several months of proper care, then I think I will replace it. It's a big tree though, so hopefully we don't have to take it out.

• starloc
    14 years ago

If it isnt one you like, it would probably be better to graft onto the tree as its already established, just add extra varietys to it

• jenn2500
    12 years ago

I agree I do think it is a Palestine sweet lime. I am new here and actually just found this thread because I was trying to figure out what our lemon looking fruit is. I knew it wasnt lemon because we do have a lemon tree already. I was thinking maybe it was some awful grapefruit. I dont take care of it because I dont like the fruit so I thought that may have been why the flavor was off but after reading up on this sweet lime the description fits exactly. Dont know what to do with ours now that I know tho, maybe take it out. :(

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Agree with Dr. Manners on this one. Improved Meyer is slightly sweeter than say a Eureka, but not "sweet" by any stretch. Not like an orange "sweet". Still makes ME pucker up :-) And I'm still laughing at your description, Dr. Manners, HAH!! Love the "baby shampoo" after taste. Or, you can just call in "insipid", lol!

Watch for my post about trying to identify a citrus in my yard. It is the mystery fruit for now...

Patty S.

• prutessa
    8 years ago

Purchased Sunkist Meyer Lemons from Costco yesterday. Cut into one this morning and it has a kind of medicine-like smell and taste. I plan to return the bag to Costco today but wanted to look up bad tasting meyer lemons on line first and found this old conversation. Any new thoughts about bad tasting Meyer lemons? Thanks

• pip313
    8 years ago

I hear they get nasty if left on the tree too long. But my dislike for Meyers is well known here so I have no first hand knowledge.

• Nicholas Hodge
    8 years ago

Sounds right to me. +prutessa, I see your post is from January. Even warm climates have certain seasons, and I venture to say lemons bought in January probably come off a cargo ship from Thailand. Possible it was picked so early, that the acid didn't have enough time to produce it's distinct bitter taste and was bland. Hope this helps.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    8 years ago

December - January is prime lemon harvest season in southern California's desert. Probably just a bad batch of lemons or they were picked too early.

Evan

• ant_ant
    6 years ago

So glad I found this thread. Reading description of Palestine Lime it seems clear that is what I have in my "new" yard. Info found at www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/Palestine.html

The thorns are also enormous and the tree itself super vigorous. I'll read on here to see if there is grafting info.

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Dr Manners,

Good to find you here; it seems you have been absent for a long time. I have learned so much from many of your post.

• Ryan Gray
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a lemon tree in my back yard. It was here when I bought the house. Tree is about 15 feet tall. Lemons are the size of a naval orange. The fruit is very yellow, bumpy skin, and more round then any of the football shaped lemons in the grocery store. The taste is very sour and actually very sweet at first. Then the flavor faids to a very metallic after taste that is horrible. The lemons also have a very floral scent when cut.

I believe it to be a ponderosa lemon, but the after taste is so bad I can't eat them.

I trimmed the tree back, used fertilizer, and waited a year for new fruit to developed. The lemons taste better this year, but still have the very metallic, kinda bitter, after taste. The tree is grown in partial sun protected from frost by my house and woods behind it.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the flavor?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ryan, if you could post pictures of the 'lemon' someone here might be able to identify it. Also post photos of the leaves, including the leaf stem. Could be it's not a true lemon. Could even be rootstock of some kind.

• Inga Ruth
    6 years ago

My meyers lemons are this year so nasty

bitter can someone tell me why? They never tasted like this all the 10 years i have that tree . They look fantastic very smooth skin and yellow.

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Have youchanged fertilizer? What is your location?

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Zebras?... When you hear hoofbeats, your mind thinks horses.... but they could be zebras. I would at least consider the possiblity that something is affecting your taste; it is more likely than something has changed the lemon... it is a product of nature....not really capable of change.

• HU-326000236
    4 years ago

I am also having the same problem. This is the second year that I have had the worse tasting lemons. We planted our Meyers lemon tree 6 years ago. I live in Southern California. Have had great lemons for years 4 years until until a year ago. Nothings change and have no clue why all of a sudden they tasted awful. All I can remember is that we had the worse winds and lost most of my lemons last year. What was left when ripe tasted awful, so bad, I had to throw them all away. I can’t figure it out. It’s always been watered. Never had to fertilize. Only when we first planted it. I seriously need help. I love and use lemons a lot. That’s why I planted the tree.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

HU

You probably had a rootstock branch that survived the storm.

• Monyet
    4 years ago

If you don’t like it , cut the sucker down and graft a variety that you like, couple years later you got what you want, no biggee.

• Jan Ely
    3 years ago

My tree has a meyer lemon label and they taste awful, as well.

• Monyet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Left on the tree too long. They can be picked when not complete yellow.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    3 years ago

mine taste amazing , so do my Eureka's and Lisbon's.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Meyer lemons do not taste good. They are just the new thing citrus tree sellers push

• Ken B Zone 7
    3 years ago

Taste is an opinion. Just because one person does not like something does not mean that nobody can.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    3 years ago

agreed ken, most people do not like tahoe golds but mine taste great. beauty like flavor/taste is in the eye of the beholder. :)

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have experienced variability with meyers, but they always have tasted tops for me ; meaning taste test winners. If you don't have the proper climate / environment, then you may not get the chance to reach Meyer nirvana.

Could it be something else... rootstock?

• Robert stuart
    2 years ago

I'm also trying to figure out what type of lemon I have. I read all the comments and nothing seems to fit perfectly. I just bought a home in Sonora Mexico and I have a lemon tree that's at least 10 years old. I know for a fact that it hadn't been fertilized for several years. It was watered well for the last 8 months. And produced heavily this winter. The fruit is nice. It is round and yellow turning from Green. It is sweet and watery with no tartness at all. I'm wondering if it's a Meyer lemon but never got fertilized. Any ideas on how I can get at least a little sourness to the lemons???

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022