Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrar_gw

Where is grafting point or it is cutting :)

Asrar
9 years ago

please feel free to download this pic and mark or edit to mention the graft point if it is there :)

Comments (12)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I don't see a graft line. What cultivar is this? If it is an Improved Meyer lemon, many are grown from cuttings.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Check the base below the soil line where the roots start. If they fan out the like the spokes of a wheel from the trunk, it is a cutting. If it has a main central root that branches it is probably a grafted tree. When a tree buttresses at the base it usually is the junction of a trunk to spokes root system.

Both of my Meyer lemons have buttress and spoke like roots

Steve

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know if it is improved or not but it is a meyer lemon. Got it from Www.citrusplants.info

This post was edited by Asrar on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 6:13

9 years ago

All Meyer lemons are now "Improved". I would contact the source and ask if they sell grafted Meyer lemons or grow their Meyer lemons from cuttings.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Patty is right; the easiest thing to do is ask. Once I was working at the penthouse of the Standard Oil building in downtown Los Angeles, California... across the street they were digging a ramp in a vacant lot with lots of support structures... everyday we looked at it and speculated about what it might be. One day I said, "It is an entrance to a basement parking for a highrise apartment complex; and the support structures are to protect the adjacent underground Metro line. Everyone said, "How do you know that?"; and I said I simply went down there and asked!!

• eSilviu
    9 years ago

If it is grafted, the most probable point is "C". I see this structure on my Kumquat and Calamondins that are surely grafted.
    But what is the crack on D point of the branch? Have you tried to graft-it?

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for post eSilviu :) Oh yes, thanks for bringing up point D. I discovered this cut after buying and while changing pot because the plant was rolled in a circle to make it compact and easy to ship. Probably some wire or thorn damaged it. Well, I m thinking to prune my tree just under this strange cut leaving at least 2 nodes for new growth for branches. This ugly cut on just 0.75 cm diameter of stem, is not looking healthy in long term. But above that i m thinking to use the stem for layering. And what time will be suitable for layering ? and pruning ?

• eSilviu
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a good idea to use the top branch for air-layering. After the roots are formed, you can cut away the cracked portion.

For air-layering;
    - I have used a 50ml PET cup, with a vertical cut on half of it and a 5mm hole in the bottom.
    - removed a ring of bark of about 5mm, above the one of the healthy leaf. Some small cuts punctures in the bark above the removed ring will help promote roots from multiple points. It also helps to use some diluted rooting hormone at this point.
    - the cup will be fixed on the branch (supported by the leaf below the bark ring) so that the removed ring and punctures to be inside the cup. The vertical cut of the cup must be fixed with adhesive tape.
    - fill the cup with peat or some other sterile medium, and water as needed.
    - to keep moisture in, the top of the cup can be covered (lightly) with adhesive tape.
    Roots will become visible in 3-4 weeks.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Don,t cut the top. It is healing very well. air layer one of the side branches instead. can you post a picture of the whole tree.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 13:33

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, sure. But you know it's been cloudy whole week and 8 days ago i watered it with fertilizer and still the soil is not dried. Leaves are getting pail and not shine green, This pic is taken 8 days ago i guess. Now i have the plant for almost 24 days and not development and no growth. On 2nd of june i changed to bit bigger pot and changed the soil and brought it out in balcony. when it was inside the house and few strong sunny days bit burn the leaves or i do not known why it burnt. So, I am thinking of backup plans for its health. e.g., trim it and bring it inside house and use grow lamp etc..

9 years ago

Neither of those are graft lines. Kumquats do not grow well on their own roots and are always grafted. Calamondins can grow on their own roots, but are often grafted. Improved Meyer lemons are often grown from cuttings. The split in the bark will most certainly heal itself, but if you want to experiment with air layering or starting a cutting, that is up to you :-)

Patty S.

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Asrar, it's gonna be okay. I recently got a (much smaller) Meyer lemon, and it took at least a month to start visibly growing, then grew like crazy. Your tree is bigger, so it's going to take longer to recover from being in a new environment, and being repotted. You put it in a bigger pot, so it's growing roots right now, not leaves. That's normal for citrus. No change is good.

Don't move it straight from inside into direct sunlight. Put it in full shade for a few weeks (you could drape a thin cloth to protect it from direct sun), then in partial shade for a few weeks, then full sun. Don't put it directly into full sun.

I feel like you are freaking out and doing a bunch of different things to try and "save" this tree, which looks fine and is healthy. Give it some time to adjust to it's new circumstances, and stop altering things/ wanting to chop things off/ moving it into and out of sun every few days. It just needs time. It's not gonna keel over tomorrow.

I don't have a ton of experience with citrus either, but I have seen the advice I am giving you, over and over from experienced citrus growers in this forum. It's going to be okay, but just let it grow for a while.

Good luck.