Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robv187

New Meyer Lemon - Advice please :)

robv187
9 years ago

Hi Everyone, approximately 1.5 weeks ago I bought my dad an Improved Meyer Lemon tree from Home Depot. The tree is grafted and the date was March 17th, 2011 making this a 3 year old tree. I am not so knowledgeable on Citrus and really want this tree to do well and to do the proper things, so please bear with me with all of the questions. I bought Dynagro Foilage and have been giving the tree 2 fertilizes so far with it's waterings. Since it's still in the original pot, I decided to do 8 cups of water with 1/2 tsp of Dynagro.

My questions are the following:

1.) In your opinion, does the tree seem healthy? Most leaves are green but a few seem yellowish in the center.

2.) I wanted to repot it in the browh pot beside it (not the pot it is currently in.) It's 17 inches, the reason I chose this is that the current pot it's in is very tall and this is the only pot I could find that would match the soil line. I'm wondering if it's too wide as I don't want root rot, hoping a 3 year old tree can handle it. We would drill 4 holes in to the pot for drainage.

3.) Is this soil okay to use? We want to repot the tree tomorrow but wanted to ask before making any mistakes.

4.) The tree does have a small lemon and recently has new shoots. Any other advices? I mist the tree daily, Also wondering how long it will take a lemon to mature this size already?

So sorry for all of the questions, this is the most knowledgeable place and very happy to be here!

{{gwi:596549}}

{{gwi:596551}}

{{gwi:596553}}

{{gwi:596556}}

{{gwi:596717}}

{{gwi:596718}}

{{gwi:596719}}

Comments (5)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

1.) In your opinion, does the tree seem healthy? Most leaves are green but a few seem yellowish in the center.

A. Looks like a very nice tree. One that many would love theirs to like like..

2.) I wanted to repot it in the browh pot beside it (not the pot it is currently in.) It's 17 inches, the reason I chose this is that the current pot it's in is very tall and this is the only pot I could find that would match the soil line. I'm wondering if it's too wide as I don't want root rot, hoping a 3 year old tree can handle it. We would drill 4 holes in to the pot for drainage.

A. Actually wide is better than deeper in our case..They have shallow roots sytems do very well in Azelea type pots{{gwi:807}}, preferrable plastic.

3.) Is this soil okay to use? We want to repot the tree tomorrow but wanted to ask before making any mistakes.

A. Anything that says "Soil" on the bag concerns me..Usually a mix like that is made up of very fine particles that compress around the roots and decopse very quicly. It also holds water in the root line way too long, especially in the cooler shorter day months.

4.) The tree does have a small lemon and recently has new shoots. Any other advices? I mist the tree daily, Also wondering how long it will take a lemon to mature this size already?

A. No need to mist the tree daily unless you just want to wash it off...Why do you mist? These trees do not need humidity to thrive although they like it. But humidity and misting are two different things. One causes disease{{gwi:807}}.
    The other can too, with air movement, that is humidity in general.

The timing of maturity on the fruit in the pot is dependent on how much sunlight, heat, the type of mix, and fertilizer it gets. There are many variables...

If you have any further questions, just ask away..We are all here to help...Good to have you.

Why don't you consider using a potting "MIX", or "Soiless MIx", not soil that most nurseries sell and mixing it with perlite?
    What are those stones for?
    They won't help with drainage if that is what you are thinking. They will only give you less root room to grow and raise the perched water in your mix that is the main cause to root rot.

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:20

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Rob welcome. Your tree looks fantastic really healthy. It is normal for citrus trees to have a few leaves to turn yellow and fall . Don't panic it is just shedding a few of its older leaves . Pot size looks great just don't use rocks at the bottom of the pot , you will be just asking for drainage problems . Not sure about that brand of soil . I just tried this year pro mix and so far my plants seem to like it. I would also drill more holes in the bottom of the pot . You want the water to flow out the bottom really well . So you really want good draining soil very important , you will know after a few waterings if it turns to mud it's no good . You can search this forum for home made potting soil recipes for good drainage . After repotting some say to place tree in shade for a while , I have always placed them in the full sun and never had a problem. I live in Ontario also and we are lucky to get 2 days in a row of sun anyways . Make sure your first watering after repotting is a good one . Your tree is really healthy it's sending out nice new shoots , that's a real good sign .Home Depot had some real nice citrus trees this year .

Brian

• robv187
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike and Brian, thank you both for taking the time to help me out, I was happy beyond words to hear that the tree is looking nice and healthy. I feel the repotting is the biggest thing to worry about before I can relax a little.

If you both don't trust the soil than neither do I, I will try checking out how to make a better one like you suggested, any particular soil mix you can recommend that is both easy to make and has excellent drainage?

The rocks were since it's in it's original pot, its sitting on top to elevate it so the water can fall through better, but will take your advice and make sure the rocks are not in the actual pot it gets transplanted to.

I was misting to help increase humidity, but I guess it's not needed since we are entering summer and I live in a particularly humid area, maybe when it becomes an indoor plant that would be a better time to do it?

And will drill 6 holes instead of 4 to give extra drainage. I forgot to mention but I'm using the Luster Leaf Rapidtest moisture meter to protect against over watering, so far seems to be a decent product.

Thanks again for all your help, will post more pictures when the tree matures a little more.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hey Ron, and yes, Brian gave some great advice..

No need to spritz even in the winter..What I will tell you is that a nice shower in your tub will really do the trick!
    It's not because of a need for humidity for those few moments, but for washing dust away and helping keep down any pest populations...I always wash mine down with a good shower inside or outside if I get a warm day here and there in the winter.
    But be assured that they do NOT need humidity for them to be healthy.
    Instead, think about having a misting bottle handy along with a good pesticide that you could apply if any issues should arise..
    I use Rosemary Oil in a quart of warm water with natural soap and spray once a week as soon as they come inside..Never a pest issue for me this way.

Rapid and other moisture meters have never been dependable for me and in fact the cause of many tree deaths in my case.
    I just use a wooden dowel. It's cheap and accurate every time.

YW for helping..It's always a pleasure.

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:43

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Rob glad to see your interested in citrus . It is a fun hobby . Soil is real key . It will make over wintering alot easier . Your lemons should be ready just in time for Christmas . I like them when they turn a light orange colour. Watering in the winter about once a week in not to hot of a room should probably work well for you. Hey I am sort of just down the road from you in Ottawa and if I can do it here you should not have a problem growing your tree there.

Brian