Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronmiami

Something ate my Valencia oranges

ronmiami
16 years ago

I left this morning and came back in the afternoon and something had eaten my young oranges. I was devastated. Can someone please let me know what did this and how I can prevent it in the future. I have a Meyers Lemon tree and a Key Lime tree and I do not want this to happen again. Any help would be much appreciated. I am in south Florida and have seen many small lizards and 2-3 very large iguanas. We also have a little bit of an ant problem, but I can't imagine that they did this. Also, the tops of my watermellon seedlings and cucumber seedlings were eaten as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Valencia Orange Problem

Comments (4)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I wouldn't doubt the iguanas did it, but possibly lizards, too..My son has an iguana, and he eats greens..hunts for my plants.. I don't have any idea how you keep lizards from eating fruit...even spraying w/peper is questionable..Toni

• ronmiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Caught a few black birds (crows?) this morning pecking at the last three oranges this morning. Looks like I am going to have to wait until next year to eat oranges from my trees. Anyone have any suggestions?

• orchidguyftl
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest birds
    looks it from the marks in the side of the fruit
    depending on the types of oranges, your tree may still produce more this year
    all my citrus have been constantly producing since January
    My area of Ft Lauderdale, by the beach has had an exceptionally wet year so far, while other parts are in a drought
    but yours may still produce more flowers
    what kind do you have?

• ronmiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tree is valencia orange and I am in North Miami. It has been pretty wet here. As far as citrus goes, I also have Key Lime and Meyers Lemon. Meyers lemons are starting to turn yellow and should be ready for picking in a few weeks, provided the birds don't get them. Key limes are starting to plump up really nicely.