Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tango mandarin tree?

Posted by njhate 5 ID (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 18:28

I just got back from Lowe's today and they had some Tango Mandarin citrus trees for 14.98 each. I can't remember the nursery name but it wasn't one I was familiar with. The trees looked to be cuttings and were about 3 1/2 feet tall with a few small branches at the top. Overall they looked decently healthy.

Does anyone know anything about this type of tree and whether or not this is worth getting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tango mandarin tree?

This is a seedless version of the W. Murcott Afourer. It is a mid season mandarin, ripening in January-April here in California. These are my personal favorite tasting mandarins, and of course the fact that they are seedless makes them even better. Note that if you live in a cool region, it is very possible they will not achieve optimum ripeness.

-Brett

o

I bought a Tango from my local Lowes (Charleston, SC) 10 days ago. They are frm Duarte Nursery in CA. Your price is $2 less than mine. There is also a Clementine for sale.
What's a budget???
I repotted immediately in from 1 qt nursery container into 5 gal plastic with Pine Bark/Perlite/Sphagnum-Peat mix (approx 5:1:1)..and a bit of Horticultural Lime. So far it looks pretty good.

o

I ended up buying one just for the heck of it. I am pretty sure the only thing holding the tree upright is the bamboo stalk next to it, so i am kind of scared to put it outside in case of wind.

Oh well, we will see what happens...

o

Hard to find much info about these as they're pretty new?
i recently bought a small tree for $10 from Home Depot.
Only $10 - I would be so happy if it bears fruit. I am growing mine in a container...anyone else doing the same?
What do your trees look like? Heres mine ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: click here to check out my bargain TANGO MANDARIN tree

o

I saw these at Lowe's last summer and bought two of them for $2 each - yeah, two dollars. I figured I couldn't go wrong and may even see some fruit. But, I had to bring them inside over the winter and am just about ready to put them outside in a few weeks (April) as it is now warming up here in the western NC mountains. One of the trees just started developing flowers, and man they smell so nice. Very fragrent. Been reading about this variety, Tango Mandarin and have learned they generally grow outside in zones 8 and higher (warmer). So, I guess I'll just transfer them in and out as the seasons come and go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here