Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benboy620

Problem with Dwarf Grapefruit tree

benboy620
15 years ago

I have a 3.5 year old dwarf ruby red grapefruit tree. Last year (picked in Feb-March '08) was a great crop - tons of red, sweet fruits - more than 50 in all. Year before was zilch. I trimmed suckers below the hybrid line, sprayed with a mostly nitrogen solution, and the tree took off. after the last fruit was picked in march, the tree began to flower (mid-April), and then new tiny green fruits appeared at end of flowering stems. things looked good, until two weeks ago, all the green centers fell out and the tree is looking yellow, lost of varigation on the leaves and some flat white color on the underside of the leaves. end of flower stems (where tiny grapefruits were) got all dried up and brown. the tree is on my main lawn watering system so I thought maybe it's getting too much water - gets full sun from the west for about 5-6 hours per day. I cut some limbs near the hybrid line again, resprayed today with nitrogen solution, and will discontinue water for a week or so. the crazy thing is less than a foot away is a dwarf cara cara navel tree that is doing great. that is a younger tree (2 years) and has yet to fruit or flower. also, I have a lot of nasteriums beneath the grapefruit tree for bug control.

can anyone give me a clue what may be going on and what course of action to take. the tree looks weedy and yellow overall. but no evidence of infestation that i can tell...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville