Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key lime in container-fertilization question

Posted by hankua 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 19:36

I have two key limes in containers, do we fertilize all year or stop in September? (zone 9, Jacksonville FL, trees will go in the garage during freeze warnings)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key lime in container-fertilization question

I fertilize my trees in containers all year long, right through my winters..

Mine are planted in a well draining porous mix..Unless they are dormant, I will consistenly feed..

Mike..:-)

o

This is a great site I hope I can learn a few things and help others also.
Seeing you have a number of months to go before deciding to feed year round, this is a great question to ask at this time. (Your looking ahead)

Some like to stop feeding in the fall as the temps lower. and start feeding again in early spring as the temps begin to warm, giving the tree a rest during the cooler winter months.

Others feed year round, at a much reduced rate during the cooler or winter months

Citrus are always active in growing, the cycle is 2-3 months root growth followed by 2-3 months top growth although the cycle may slow in the cooler months citrus never go's dormant and is always active in growing.

Yet some use artificial light and bottom heat during the cooler winter months and never reduce fertilization.

Myself I greatly reduce the ferts during the cooler months, given the tree the much needed rest it deserves from producing fruit and growth during the warmer months.

Regards..tomcitrus

o

EXCELLENT post Tom....Excellent, and well put....

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here