Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neurosci

Question on lighter green, curled leaves - meyer lemon

Neurosci
10 years ago

Hello all,

It has since been a week since I received my meyer lemon and potted it in Al's 5-1-1 mix.

There are a couple of things I wanted to address: 1. there are a few leaves that seem to be of a lighter shade of green than the majority and 2. these same leaves tend to curl inward rather than remain flat like the darker green leaves.

I should note I thought there were some of these lighter, curled leaves on the tree when I took it out of the box. I assumed possibly shipping stress.

Further, I read online that the lighter leaves may be due to a lack of nutrition to the plant. Additionally, the curling leaves are a defense mechanism to prevent excessive water loss via evapotranspiration. Of course, both of these seem to contradict the information in the brochure from Four Winds. The instructions say to wait a few weeks before fertilizing and that curled leaves are a sign of too much water.

I have purchased a moisture meter to make sure I am watering correctly. I found that maybe 4" below the soil surface reads about '2' which would indicate that I need to water. I play around and test in 5 locations at varying heights, and sometimes there may be 1 or 2 places deep within the pot that reads in the '3' level.

With this, I guess I'm hesitant whether I need to water or not, and if I should be in fact fertilizing now (1 week after arrival rather than wait an additional week). I have been adding 1/3 gallon unfertilized water daily.

Other than that, the plant seems to look good.

Hereis a picture of what I'm talking about as I'm sure you've all seen it before:

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/t5Nitroz/image-2.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for your advice.

This post was edited by Neurosci on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:47

Comments (4)