Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on lighter green, curled leaves - meyer lemon

Posted by Neurosci none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:38

Hello all,

It has since been a week since I received my meyer lemon and potted it in Al's 5-1-1 mix.

There are a couple of things I wanted to address: 1. there are a few leaves that seem to be of a lighter shade of green than the majority and 2. these same leaves tend to curl inward rather than remain flat like the darker green leaves.

I should note I thought there were some of these lighter, curled leaves on the tree when I took it out of the box. I assumed possibly shipping stress.

Further, I read online that the lighter leaves may be due to a lack of nutrition to the plant. Additionally, the curling leaves are a defense mechanism to prevent excessive water loss via evapotranspiration. Of course, both of these seem to contradict the information in the brochure from Four Winds. The instructions say to wait a few weeks before fertilizing and that curled leaves are a sign of too much water.

I have purchased a moisture meter to make sure I am watering correctly. I found that maybe 4" below the soil surface reads about '2' which would indicate that I need to water. I play around and test in 5 locations at varying heights, and sometimes there may be 1 or 2 places deep within the pot that reads in the '3' level.

With this, I guess I'm hesitant whether I need to water or not, and if I should be in fact fertilizing now (1 week after arrival rather than wait an additional week). I have been adding 1/3 gallon unfertilized water daily.

Other than that, the plant seems to look good.

Hereis a picture of what I'm talking about as I'm sure you've all seen it before:

[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/t5Nitroz/image-2.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for your advice.

This post was edited by Neurosci on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on lighter green, curled leaves - meyer lemon

edit: Sorry about the link. I cannot seem to get the image to post. If you highlight, copy what is within the IMG tags and paste it into your browser it will open the picture.

This post was edited by Neurosci on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:58

o

To see the image --- Neurosci--- is trying to displayclick on the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/t5Nitroz/image-2.jpg

o

Thank you for posting the proper link. I haven't watered it in two days now since I wasn't sure if it was getting too much. The top of the soil is dry but if I stick my hand down in there it's somewhat damp.

The moisture meter reads 2.5-3, about half to a bit over halfway between dry and wet so I suppose it was getting too much. Even with the daily watering the moisture read the same though.

This post was edited by Neurosci on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 18:21

o

This is what I tried to do. photo image-2.jpg

What is your growing zone. I would let it dry a bit more. The fertilizing routine is about 1.5 time for meyer lemon. I am hesitant to give much advice as my trees are in trouble but I don;t know why.

Good luck to yow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here