Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frezzing calamodines

Posted by Suzy11 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 20:45

Can you freze them hole and orange to collect enough for a recipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frezzing calamodines

try with some and tell us the result ;)

o

Juice maybe, whole I doubt it; most calamondin are consumed fresh.

o

Thank you for answering John I didn't know if you would answer. Do you eat them when firm or a little soft? By the way half of the root ball on my meyer has died. I may get another Someday.

o

Is pssible and hopeful to cut of the dead rots John?

o

Yes, it is possible to prune out dead roots, the same as pruning out dead branches; then you probably should bare root your tree (gently wash out all the soil) and carefully re-pot it with new soil. Because it is a Meyer it will likely lose most or all of its leaves; but be patient and it should recover.

As for the calamondin, I don't eat them at all; but most people use them when green or light yellow, as "lemons". Mine are just decorative; but some of the people at my farm eat them.

o

Thank you very much

o

Do roots grow back?

o

New roots will grow to fill the space; roots that have rotted will not "grow back".
Note: typical root to plant ratio for a Meyer is 1 to 4.

o

The dead roots are going into the trunk so I guess they can't be cut. :( But my friend started some trees from seed and may send me one. If she does, since I dought that it is drawf do the roots have to be trimed when the tree is pruned?

o

If the tree is not dead yet and at least some healthy roots, you still can cut out all the dead roots. Until recovery maybe raise the air humidity. At least that is what i would try before throwing it out.

o

Hi Suzy11, Yes you can freeze them. I use a sugar/water mix to a plastic container or freezer bag. Not enough to candy them but to help resist cell explosion. Fresh are best as you know.

I have one of MeyerMikes plants. He is the Koolest dude. Nice Mom too.

o

Thank you John and Calamodinkid. I agree, Mike seems cool .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here