Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Navel orange tree dropping fruits

Posted by bitmaster20 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 22:01

I have a Navel orange tree in the side yard (West facing) that I planted almost 2 years ago. It didn't bear any fruit last year. This year it's bore fruit, but the oranges drop off before they have a chance to ripen. I water the tree about once a week. Would appreciate any pointers to rectify the situation. Thanks.

This post was edited by bitmaster20 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 12:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Navel orange tree dropping fruits

Well, it's pretty chlorotic. First off, where do you live? Watering once a week may or may not be enough or too much, depending on your rainfall. And, you don't mention if you're fertilizing, but clearly, your tree needs to be fertilized. Not enough nutrients, or root compromise can cause fruit drop. It would help to have a full photo of your tree, as well. It looks like there could be some competition from surrounding plants/lawn for nutrients, so if you have plants under the tree, or grass, it needs to be removed.

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the response hoosierquilt. I live in Orange County, California.

Regarding fertilizer, I have used Vigoro Citrust & Avocado Plant food.

There's a guava tree that's a few feet away on one side and a Ivy gourd trellis on the other.

The attached picture might give a better idea. The guava tree is in the foreground. The orange tree behind it. The ivy gourd to the right and a Jambul tree all the way in the back.

This post was edited by bitmaster20 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 12:54

o

More pictures:

o

Okay, not so bad. How much are you watering the tree, and how deeply? How frequently are you fertilizing? How much sun is it receiving daily?

Patty S.

o

I water it about once a week. I haven't been too regular with the fertilizer. The area gets about 6 hours of direct sun.

Regarding watering, how do you measure how deeply something is watered? Thanks.

o

18 to 24 inches - the depth of the feeder roots for citrus. Any deeper than that is just a waste of our precious and costly water.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here