Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_v

Key lime tree not doing so good.

albert_v
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the site and new to gardening too. I bought a key lime tree at home depot and ever since i planted it in the ground its been losing its dark green color. I noticed today that the tree has new growth but it seems to be deformed? Maybe i'm not using the correct terminology. I'm going to try to post some pictures, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
{{gwi:599001}}Key Lime tree problem

Comments (7)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

What have been your cultural practices?
    What have you been feeding it? How much sun has it been getting? Have you been watering correctly?

How did you plant this tree into the ground? Can you explain the kind of soil it's in? Did you amend the soil?

Did you shade this tree if just recently planted..Please share as much detail from the time you brought it home till now..

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Goodness, one more thing.

HOW HOT HAVE THE TEMPS BEEN?

Thank you...

• albert_v
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What have been your cultural practices?
    I don't understand the question.
    What have you been feeding it?
    After the first couple months after planting i noticed it started turning light green i wen to home depot and bought a bag of palm and citrus fertilizer. its an orange bad i will have to read it carefully to give you specifics.

How much sun has it been getting?
    Its pretty much full sun which is what I thought citrus needed... maybe i'm wrong?
    Have you been watering correctly?
    I water once every 2 or 3 days.
    How did you plant this tree into the ground? Can you explain the kind of soil it's in? Did you amend the soil?

I mixed half a bag of top soil in with some of the natural soil from my yard. which in south florida is very sandy and not very nutritions from what i have been reading.

Did you shade this tree if just recently planted..
    I didn't shade the tree. its been getting full sin since I planted it.

Please share as much detail from the time you brought it home till now..

well as I said, I picked a spot in the yard, dug a hole twice the size of the pot, threw in half a bad of black top soil, mixed it in a bit with surrounding dirt and planted it. I back filled with the same natural soil and tamped it down slightly and gave it a good first watering. Since then I just water it once every 2 or 3 days cause I read on here that you can't over water citrus. Its slowly been turning yellow and I think about 3 weeks ago i bought the fert and threw a handfull on the ground. thats when the growth started but as you can see the leaves are still light and the leaves are not normal.

• michaelc0
    13 years ago

looks like "leaf miner" damage

• buylady
    13 years ago

it just looks like new growth to me just wait and see if the leaves don't fully develope..i maybe wrong don't

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Leaves that look funny, but have no insect damage, usually indicate that the tree is not getting the right nutrients, although it could be a combination of things. First of all, South Florida soil as you said is mostly sand so it contains very sparse nutrients, on the good side it drains well. Secondly, you added top soil, which may be good for something like a lawn, but it wouldn't contain the best nutrients for a fruit-bearing tree.

Some good-quality compost would be a good addition at this point, but work it into the top layer of soil around the tree's base. Try not to raise the level of soil on the trunk, just get that good stuff close to the roots, without distrubing the roots. Because the organic material is going to tend to sift away from the area where you planted this tree you will need to add more every year, or more often if you see the tree beginning to look peaked again.

Lemon tree leaves are normally light green when they first come on, but they should darken within a few days. In other words, the top leaves of the branch in your pic might be light, but the bottom ones should already be darker green and flattened out. They should have a firm, crisp, shiny top surface when matured.

If your problem was one of too much direct sunlight, those tender light green leaves would be scorched, so I think your tree gets enough relief from the sun at various times during the day. I used to live in Florida and every now and then my plants would start to look kinda puny, and that's when I'd pour on the compost and a good drink of compost tea. That usually cured what ailed them. I think your tree's just a little hungry. Cheryl

• thisisme
    13 years ago

It looks like damage from Citrus Thrips to me.