Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aman1938

Lime / Lemon assistance please

AMAN1938
12 years ago

My wife and I are not new to horticultral activaties we have approximately 150-200 plants rangeing from roses to orchids, bromeliads, ferns, Bird-of-Paradise, Ficus, Trumpets, Phillydendrums etc. mostly in containers and too numerous to list. My wife acquired so many plants that in 1994 I enclosed our patio 16' X 33' and covered the top with clear Lexan. Every year around the middle of November we bring in all plants and I cover the sides with Visquene plastic so they can winter with heat because we have some serious freezing weather during the Winter, and each spring they go back to the back yard and flourish for the spring, summer and fall. All of this is just to add some history of our experience.

NOW, to my real question. About five years ago we purchased a supposed Lime tree and it has grown beautifully, but about the second season we had it, it bloomed beautufully but only grew three fruit. However the fruit continued growing until it was 3-1/2" in diameter and woundup being more a Lemon than Lime at maturity, and has done this each year. But that alright because we just love the tree, but we wonder what it really is. I've tried to attached a picture for your observation and possible identity, but can-not find the resources to do so.

ALSO here is the next problem, three years ago we purchased another Lime tree that was tagged as "Lime", but not the variaty. Last year it bloomed beautifully full and then ALL of the small Limes fell off. We were disappointed but figurerd it was just a part of becoming mature.

WELLL, this year it did the same thing and is doing it now as I post this.

Can one of you experts PLEASE explain or diagnose this problem and offer some assistance, I would greately appreciate it.

Sincerely, and Happy Gardening to you all.

AMAN in Louisiana

Comments (3)

• timrod98
    12 years ago

Hey Aman, there are much more knowledgeable citrus growers on the forum than I ... but I'll tell you what I know...
    1st...it is helpful to all to see pics. you can upload to Photobucket (free service). Then copy (the html option) and paste to your Gardenweb posting. After a couple of tries you'll be a pro.
    2nd...the citrus plants typically produce much more fruit than the plant can sustain, so it is not unusual for "lots" of the early fruit to drop. I hate to see it but that's just the way it goes. However, if ALL the fruit drops you might want to check several things...
    a. Ph of the soil....ballpark...6 to 6.5 is good
    b. check moisture content of soil...doesn't want to be soggy but don't let it dry out...
    c. what are you using for fertilizer and when are you fertilizing?? Citrus are "heavy feeders" they like Nitrogen but also require "elementals" as well...
    NPK ratio of 5-1-3 is a good rule of thumb. Many of the forum growers put a cap of vinegar in the watercan once or twice a month to assist with Ph maintenance (but check with ph meter periodically). There are many fertilizers from which to choose and the forum members are great about giving very good, tested advice. I just found Foliage Pro at local nursery (Hyams in Charelston, SC) which many growers like. I also use Vigoro for citrus and Citrus-Tone.
    I'm sure you'll receive bountiful help from the core grower/experts on the forum. They are a wonderful, helpful bunch.
    Check through the other posting as the fertilizer question came up a few days ago and much as been posted.
    Good luck and keep 'em growing!!
    htp

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

here's some lime varieties info

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/limes.htm

seems like your 1st lime might be:

"Tahiti lime is also called Bearss lime and Persian lime. Although its exact origin is unknown, it appeared in a home planting is California about 1875 and is believed to have originated from seed of citrus fruit imported from Tahiti to San Francisco sometime after 1850. It is also believed to be of hybrid origin.

The tree is somewhat larger than Mexican lime, achieving heights of 20 feet under optimum conditions. The branches are variably thornless or armed with quarter-inch thorns--even on the same tree. The fruit is oval, about 2.75 inches long and up to 2.5 inches in diameter, but it will get even larger if left too long on the tree. It is characterized by the presence of a nipple on the blossom end of the fruit. The rind is thin, smooth and dark green at commercial maturity, becoming very light green to yellow at full maturity. The fruit is normally entirely seedless, although one or two seeds may occur when grown in close proximity to other citrus. The juice is greenish and acidic, having the distinctive lime aroma."

• AMAN1938
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Timrod thank you so much for the adviced on Photobucket, I will investigate it and give it a try. I was disappointed that I couldn't post pic's on this particular forum because pics surely give everyone a chance to actually see what we have.

Houstontexas123, (our son lives in Spring and is currently moving to Magnolia, we were just there last weekend) Thanks also to you for the information you've given me, and my lime that gets so large will eventually get yellow, is full of seeds and taste kind-of a cross between a lemon and lime, so I'm still wondering about it's orgin, but, we still love them.
    My wife and I truely enjoy and love watching GOD's hand at work with plants.
    Many thanks to the two of you.
    GOD bless and Happy gardening
    AMAN