Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very old mini orange tree

Posted by cindi3kids mo (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:18

I have a miniature orange tree that my grandmother brought back from Florida in the 1950's. Yes, it is the original one. I have inherited it since her passing and have had it about 2 years. It is dropping leaves (a lot of leaves) and green fruit. It has bloomed recently and does have some fruit on it. I have very little information on how to care for it or even what kind of orange tree it is. I have moved it outside recently (it was dropping leaves before this) because I was afraid it wasn't getting enough light. Any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very old mini orange tree

Pics say a 1000 words. Pics will help us identify what it is, and what it's needs are. When was the last time you transplanted it? What kind of fertilizer are you giving it?

o

What exactly do you mean when you say "miniature orange"? Do you mean the fruits are small like a Calamondin or Kumquat? Or do you mean it is a dwarf tree with normal size oranges?

o

I will definitely post some photos. I mean miniature oranges on a tree that is also miniature. The fruit is about the size of a large marble or walnut. They are very fragrant and very very sour. The tree trunk is about the size of the small end of a baseball bat and stands in the pot about 5 1/2 feet.

o

Okay, so, not an orange. Sounds like a calamondin to me. Photos will help. It may need to be re-potted, as it may be root-bound. You may need to do some root trimming, if the roots are circling the pot, and use a larger pot. You'll want to use a well draining potting mix. Most container folks on the list will use either the "511" or "Gritty" mix recipes you can find on this forum. Or, use Fafard's Professional 52 or Nursery bagged mixes. And of course regular fertilizing to encourage healthy growth. You definitely want to move it outside to get more sunlight, and keep outside as long as weather permits.

Patty S.

o

Ok photos are attached. I have one of the whole tree including the pot that it had been in for many many years. The up close ones are the fruit that are not ripe yet. They will get a bit bigger then turn a beautiful bright orange color and they have a wonderful fragrance. There is a few dead branches. I have removed some already. Thanks for all the help. This tree brings back wonderful memories of my grandms, I would hate to loose it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here