Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not sure what is causing this attack on Bearrs Lime

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:43

Only a few limes have this. They are covered with ants. I know scale. This is not that. What is it? What is the cure?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks so much!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not sure what is causing this attack on Bearrs Lime

I'm far from an expert but it looks a little like the Asian citrus psyllid. Can you take a close-up (macro) photo? Do you mind mentioning what city you are in?

o

Does not look like Asian Citrus Psyllid to me.

A close up would be better, but from what I can see it looks more like either Cottony Cushion Scale or Mealybugs. Ants will also farm both of these.

Horticultural oil works well on both these pests. Check the label for rates and timing.

o

I zoomed in and don't think it's ACP now. Here's a closer look.

o

Looks like scale or mealy bugs to me, I get them on my hibiscus out here in the desert. I usually spray with water 2-3 times per day for a week until they're gone and keep a close eye on it for a few weeks after that. I also use Bayer 3 in 1 on my hibiscus, but don't think that would be a viable option for your lime tree.
Evan

o

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. We blasted the tree with water, and sprayed it with soap solution. I'm sure it will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here