Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus Tree Problems

Posted by jjm340 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 22:49

I have three dwarf citrus trees (orange, grapefruit and lemon) growing in a planter. They have been in the ground for over a year and are having problems. I thought they weren't getting enough water so I started watering deeper and more often and now the leaves are starting to yellow. They bloomed earlier this year, but all but one of the blooms never turned into fruit (I have one orange). Looking for some advice and I'd be glad to send pictures of the leaves and the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus Tree Problems

You might want to be careful on the watering - I've almost lost a tree in the ground by over watering. It suffocates the roots, turns yellow, blooms but little fruit are symptoms.

Sounds like you may have had problems even before water. You might try watering deeply once every week or 2, depending on the heat. I know the roots like to search for water, so keeping it watered frequently like an ornamental plant is not good. It may be the roots never got established well after planting. Years ago, I had a similar experience to you with a Meyer lemon, and I had to pull it out of the ground (roots were rotten from over-watering) and into a container and baby it back to health. Not sure you need to do this yet - this seems to be common occurrence and there are some good experts here to help you, and you may have another problem to begin, but I do know frequent watering is most often the wrong direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Tre eProblem

o

Thanks for the response, I'm gonna cut back my watering.

On a side note, how do I post pictures in the forum post itself?

o

I'm confused....are they in the ground or in a planter?

o

I think he means the type of area next to a house or like a raised bed with structural support like bricks, etc. They call them planters around here.

jjm340: You have to post the pictures at another site (like Photobucket or ImageShack) and then link to them from here (real pain).

Here is a link that might be useful: Take a look here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here