Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnmerr

What to do with a Meyer lemon

johnmerr
9 years ago

What to do with a Meyer lemon.
On Saturday we went to the beach house fronting on the Pacific Ocean on the South coast of Guatemala; we are doing some work on the garden there�one of four tropical gardens for which I am responsible.
During the week we had brought in a dump truck (8 cubic meters) of good quality topsoil (the underlying "soil" being black sand) at an astonishing cost of $50
This garden, built on beach black sand, with the addition of about 10 trucks of topsoil, is about half an acre and in addition to 40 coconut trees, San Augustin grass, bouganvillas, 4 banana plants, hibiscus, mango tree, 3 tropical almonds, etc, etc�. of course 2 Meyer lemons, a Cara Cara and Washington navel orange plus a thatch roofed ranchon with hammocks overlooking the Pacific Ocean, "needed" improvements according to the wife.
So, Saturday night we enjoyed some Meyer lemon margaritas; then went to sleep with the sound of the waves of the Pacific Ocean.
Sunday morning, after breakfast, we went to the local fish market where we purchased fresh Pacific lobsters for $7 per pound; then we went to a local nursery where we bought about 110 tropical plants for the garden� another cost of $50!!.
Back to the beach where we cooked the lobsters in sea water with a couple of Meyer lemons juice and peel thrown in; dipped them in melted butter with Meyer lemon and cumin. I ate two 1.5 pound lobsters, accompanied by a modest Chilean Sauvignon Blanc wine.
That was necessarily followed by a nap in the hammock; then detailed instructions to the gardener of where to put the soil and the plants; then back to the Eternal Springtime weather of Guatemala City.
Wait� I know what you are thinking� a hard job for an old guy like me; but somebody has to do it!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living