Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone kept a verigated pink lemon inside all year

Posted by arkberry 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 23:49

I need to find a tree that I can keep inside all year. When I moved a large citrus outside, it left a large void in living room. On some other sites, there have been notations that this tree is better adapted to indoor conditions. Will get western afternoon sun. Anyone had any experience with this plant s a true houseplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone kept a verigated pink lemon inside all year

I do have a variegated Pink Lemon tree but I move it outdoors every summer. In general, I think citrus in general do not make good year round house plants. They really do benefit from being outdoors during the summer.

IF you truly want a "citrus house plant", I would vote for the calomondin orange. There easier to keep at a maneagable size, and they do produce small(but very sour), fruits.

Andrew

o

I was going to say calamondin also; good choice for a dedicated indoor citrus. As for sour, the calamondin, is the primary "lemon" in the Philippines; they call it calamansi and they use it green; it is not a bad "lemon", but has a mountain of seeds along with a fair amount of juice for such a small fruit. The tree is pretty, can be pruned to almost any size/shape. I have two at my lemon farm; but they are just decorative garden trees.

o

I love my Calamondin tree...although I do not grow it inside I would guess they would do the best for growing inside as well. Calamondin is perfect for iced tea...just use a half a slice and squeeze the juice and drop the rind in the glass...a neighbor loves it as well...she says she uses it to make some type of "mixed" drink,lol...its tiny but has a lot of flavor. When you don't need a whole lemon Calamondin is perfect.

o

I 4th Calamondin.

An unobstructed west window is fine. In summer, open windows/run a fan for air circulation.

Of course, if you can get a good deal on a variegated Pink Lemon, why not try?

Nancy, your Calamondin is beautiful. All those fruit!!!
Besides ice tea, jelly and marmalade can be made from Calamondin fruit. Toni

o

Thanks Toni! I've made Kumquat Jam before...but I will have to try Calamondin Marmalade next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here