Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pomelo

Posted by phucvu 10 b oc ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 0:12

hopefully the iron deficiency is ironed out and the 2 last hanging fruit will stay

pomelo

pomelo

pomelo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pomelo

Very lovely. We, too, had huge issues here with our grapefruit trees and micronutrient deficiencies. I do see grass. Grass is a no-no under your citrus, phucvu. The grass will compete with your citrus for nutrients and precious water. I can't see quite down to the base of your tree, but if you have not done this yet, clear out a circle around your tree at least as large as the drip line of your tree (the edge of the canopy). Create a nice deep well with the lowest part of the well along the outer ring. Fill with compost keeping it away from the trunk. Fertilizer in the ring. Fill your well with water a couple of times week for a nice deep watering.

Patty S.

o

Phucvu, thanks for the picture. I am a bit confused. Looking at the picture that you posted, the tree looks like a Pummelo (Citrus maxima), and not a Pomelo (Citrus grandis or grapefruit). Is it indeed a Pummelo? Thanks.

o

I think folks commonly interchange "Pomelo" with "Pummelo". I'm sure that's what phucvu meant, silica. Even Jorma Koskinen's well-known and respected Citrus Pages calls them both:

Citrus Pages: Pomelo

Definitely a Pummelo based on the shape of the fruit and peel appearance. This word is so frequently misspelled, and I think no one in the USA calls a grapefruit a Pomelo anymore, that most of us assume if someone says, "Pomelo", then really mean "Pummelo" :-) Potato, potato as they say. We get it. I get it, anyway!!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by phucvu 10 b oc ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 19:59

meh, i don't know.

but yea it's not covered in grass at the base, although the mulching doesn't do a good job of keeping the weed at bay.

o

hoosierquilt, thanks for pointing out the pomelo/pummelo cross reference on Jorma's web page. I know Jorma, he is a friend of mine. I will have to have a discussion with him about the misuse of the word. Anyway, phucvu's tree is easily identified as being a Pummelo by looking at the leaves and blooms in the picture.

o

Yuppers. And of course the shape of the fruit. The pomelo/pummelo confusion is about as prevalent as tangerine/mandarin terminology confusion. And please let Jorma know I love his site, it is very extensive and well researched.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here