Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rounding out the collection

Posted by Karly30 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 1:00

Hello all, I'm looking to add 2 or 3 more trees to my collection to plant this fall. What would you add, considering my collection outlined below? Please keep in mind, I dont' really care for Grapefruit. There is a bitter note in every one that I've tasted that just makes me gag, however, those Oro Blanco Blossoms are to die for.

Meyer Lemon
Moro Blood Orange
Bearss Lime
Calamondin
V. Calamondin (2)
Meiwa Kumquat (4)
Nagami Kumquat
Page Mandarin
Kishu Mandarin
Valencia Orange
Pink Lemonade Lemon
Chinotto Sour Orange
Eustis Limequat
Clementine de Nules

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rounding out the collection

Sorry, I'm in zone 8b, Los Angeles County, CA.

o

Nice collection! Here are my picks.
Tahiti pummelo - light, sweet and very juicy, a hint of grapefruit taste but sweeter and refreshing. Rind is not as thick as most pummelo, more like grapefruit rind.
Cocktail - sold as cocktail grapefruit, but it is not a grapefruit at all. It's a cross of pummelo and tangerine. Very sweet, very thin skin, one of my top 5 favorites.
Washington Navel - Ever the classic, so wonderful right off the tree when it is truely ripe, not just picked too early and rushed to market when it's not ready.

o

I don't see a nice navel orange, several to pick from out there. Late Lane is great because it's later (summer to early fall). Also one of my favorites is Cara Cara, which is pink inside, and on the sweeter side. I agree also with a Cocktail, as it is very sweet, being a cross between a mandarin and a pummelo.

Patty S.

o

Blood Oranges are very special. The first one I had was in Rome 15 years ago and I go out off my way to buy them. The thought of going out in my backyard to get them would be heaven!!! I am going to determine where I can get them in containers!!!!!!!!!

o

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Seems like some sort of Navel is definitely in order, and I was also thinking I would like a golden nugget tangerine.

o

Good call, dsieber. Definitely consider a blood orange, Karly. I have 4, a Smith Valencia Red, a Tarocco, a Sanquinelli, and a Moro. If you only have room for one, I would suggest Moro, as it is a little more consistent, just don't let the fruit sit on the tree too long or the flavor can get a little off. And dsieber, check out Four Winds Growers for blood oranges suitable for containers. Their products are exceptional. Also, you can check out Clifton's Nursery as well, although their prices are a little higher than Four Winds:
Clifton's Nursery: Citrus Trees

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers: Blood Oranges

o

Since Karly has a Moro blood orange, I won't bother mentioning that one ;-)
For Citrus, I agree with Patty - Four Winds Growers has some very nice offerings.

Karly, how about a Rangpur Lime? I'd also suggest an Owari Satsuma, but I think
it's too warm down in your neck of the woods.

Josh

o

I see you mentioned another tangerine. Gold Nugget is so so in my yard. took a long time to start bearing and the flavor is not as rich as some. It is seedless though, which is nice. I would go with W. Murcott if you want another tangerine. W.Mur is not seedless.
Oro Blanco will not be sweet close to the cost. If you are not at least 10 miles from the beach, I would not recomend it. They have grapefruit in their blood so they need LOTS of heat to get sweet.

o

Yep, got the blood orange covered. Interesting that an Owari might not like the heat here, I hadn't considered that, and that was definitely on my maybe list. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, and it gets quite toasty here. Anyone else have opinions on the golden nugget or the w.murcott? Have I read that the w. murcott is the same as what is sold at the grocery store as a "honey tangerine". Maybe a Minneola would be good? Thanks all for your input.

o

Oops, you sure do :-) I have Gold Nugget and it is quite good. Consider a Page Mandarin, too, which is really more a Tangelo, but should do well in the heat. W. Murcott is seedy. If you want a seedless W. Murcott, get a Tango mandarin. It us a seedless W. Murcott Afouer mandarin. But, you've already got 2 mandarins, and no navel orange. And, I'm still voting for the Cocktail!!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by dsieber z5 Lakewood CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 21:56

Hoosierquilt that has escaped to fairer climes from Indiana!!!! Thanks for the links to the blood oranges. I am in Colorado weather is great know. Should I wait till spring to order a new plan so it can get established during the summer prior to yanking it in for most of the fall/winter/spring?

o

Okay, so cara cara has my vote for a navel. I'll have to think on the others some more!

o
Rounding out the collection

Okay, so the Cara Cara and the Cocktail. And maybe whatever madarin/tangerine feels like jumping in my cart as well.

o

dsieber, yes, actually a native born California with a 10 year "hiatus" in Indiana, then 3 years in Maryland, and now finally back home by the beach. In the land of citrus, no less :-) You can buy your citrus now, leave it outside until temps drop below 30 degrees, then bring inside. You should have enough growing time to establish your citrus so it over winters well.

And Karly, like your attitude, girl!! I find mandarins tend to jump into carts, at least my cart, lol!! After adding two new ones at the end of the month (Nova and Tango), I'll be up to 9 mandarin varieties. Thankfully, they're my favorite citrus, with grapefruit hybrids right behind. I, too, am not a fan of really bitter grapefruits, but I just love the taste of a grapefruit, so a Cocktail is like my "perfect" grapefruit, with Melogold and Oro Blanco right behind. I still need to find a good pommelo to add - don't have a straight pommelo - so that will probably be my last citrus I'll add to my burgeoning collection of nearly 30 varieties :-)

Patty S.

o

• Posted by dsieber z5 Lakewood CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 20:55

Karly sorry for the recommendation for something you already had (I saw a list and picked from it)!!! It was worthwhile for other people to know the BIG +++ for blood oranges.. You were a trendsetter.

o

Thanks for all the help guys! I picked up a Cocktail yesterday, and will keep an eye out for a nice car a cara

o

Good for you, you'll love them, they are so sweet, but still have that yummy grapefruit flavor. Makes excellent juice. If you're down in the N. San Diego county area, pretty sure Clausen's has some Cara Cara in stock. You can give Ray & Gordy a call to see. Their citrus are fabulous, extremely robust and very reasonably priced.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clausen's Nursery

o

Patty, I was thinking I would call them because I may be traveling down to San Diego soon to pick up some fig trees. anything else exciting over there?

o

Ray and Gordy have a very nice selection of figs as well as some subtropicals. And for citrus, they have a nice selection of mandarins as well. They're great guys, do a very nice job, and are well respected citrus growers in our area.

Patty S.

o

More cart jumpers! a honey tangerine and a mystery citrus that was only $7 for a gorgeous little plant. I got them to mark it down since the hang tag was missing. I'm pretty darn sure it's a fukushu kumquat.

o

• Posted by Karly30 8b- Los Angeles area (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 17:16

Okay, so I'm bumping this up for Patty, and updating with my most recent purchases.

Meyer Lemon
Moro Blood Orange
Bearss Lime
Calamondin
V. Calamondin (2)
Meiwa Kumquat (4)
Nagami Kumquat (2)
Page Mandarin
Kishu Mandarin
Valencia Orange
Pink Lemonade Lemon
Chinotto Sour Orange
Eustis Limequat
Clementine de Nules
Fukushu Kumquat
Honey Tangerine
Tango Mandarin
Cara Cara Navel
Orantique Tangor
Valentine Pummelo (coming soon)

I also currently have 13 different figs, a couple of weeping santa rosa plums, a couple of poms, and a genetic dwarf peach. They are all in pots, waiting for either plusher pots, or to be stuck in the ground when it cools off here a bit.

o

Wow, very nice lineup, Carly! No grapefruit yet, though I see, besides the pummelo coming. Maybe a Cocktail or a Melogold grapefruit?? And 13 fig trees, holy moly that's a LOT of figs, lol!!

Patty S.

o

Whoops, I forgot the cocktail. I did snag one a few weeks ago at your recommendation. I plan on keeping the figs as smaller, shrubby looking plants instead of large trees, and maybe a couple of them in pots. Only 4 are of bearing age so far.

o

Karly! I want a Cocktail, ever since Patty suggested one. I wish I could just drive to get one. It is so expensive to ship them:-(

I wish I had saw your thread earlier than this. Where in the world was I? Oh yes, drugged out and in pain. I never paid attention and I apologize. Are you for real? Al these trees? Lucky you. I did see some of your beauties.

Mike

o

• Posted by Karly30 8b- Los Angeles area (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 19:35

You are too funny Mike, I'm sure I'll be able to forgive you one day. ;) Our new house has very little "keeper" landscaping, so I have a lot of space available. Our lot is very close to a half acre, with that holding our house, a pool, a patio, and a small barn. Some of it gets eaten up by a hillside. Still plenty of room though. Hopefully in a couple of years will will be able to afford to take out some more of old landscaping that needs to go and replace it with even more unique edibles.

I'll post some more pictures of the yard and trees when I can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here