Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long should i hold on this lime tree ?

Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 3:51

I have this Lime tree (suppose to be grafted and monthly production of lime) for 4 yr now. What the group think should I keep holding on it or have life and replace it ?

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long should i hold on this lime tree ?

The color looks good; it looks a little like it wants more light/sun. What kind of fertilizer are you using and how often? Where do you live; and what variety of lime is it?

For esthetics, I would trim back the long shoots about halfway back to the main canopy; and the shoots touching the walls about 4-6 inches from the wall.

o

Johnmerr, sun no issue here it is sunny here every day (SaudiArabia)
I am using NPK. recently i been adding a pinch of small pellets every 2-3 week after which it did show a nice growth as you see in the photo.
I did trim back the shoots as you advised.
It is grafted i wonder why no lemon so far it is almost 5 yr old. my wife been pushing to for termination
what do you think
Khourshed

o

I think it's a beautiful tree, but personally, I only have trees that serve my purposes. That is to fruit, flower, and smell good.

If it does not flower or fruit after you have exhausted all possibilities and that is your sole reason for it, I would terminate or give another tree that preferred sunny area and give that tree another spot for its beautiful greenery. You never know, after 5 years, it might surprise you if it is grafted as you said.

By the way, it's nice to meet you :) hoping all things are ok across the pond for you.

Miike

o

Thanks Miike, i will look for MgSo4 it was recommended here i will not let here go with out trying it may be it will do the trick

o

update with my Lemon tree;
responded very well to Jobe's Organic Citrus fertilizer
now do i need to trim it or let it go?

photo

o

It's beautiful. If it were mine, for balance I would take out the center shoot of the tallest shoot, leaving the fork; I would trim back the other two long shoots about 4-6 inches to encourage branching. Other than that, I might reduce the Nitrogen a little; your leaves are large for a lime and very dark green. Sometimes too much Nitrogen encourages growth rather than fruiting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here