Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saorise_2013

poncirusguy can you help me?

Saorise_2013
10 years ago

poncirusguy I was wondering what brand and type of florescent compact bulbs you find works best for your citrus trees?I am sure you have probably posted this before but I cant seem to find it. :-/ Thanks for your help! :-)

Comments (6)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I use bright white or day light. I don't use the warm white. The light they put out is too yellow for citrus. You'll get your real big advantage if you inclose your plant in a bucket setup or the square box like mine. I get my bulbs on sale and look for the 18 watt models first but 13 watts is also fine. If you are going to open air the tree with a lamp shining on it. you will do best with a more powerful bulb '45+ watts' with a reflector on it and placed at a further distance from the tree. The watts I listed are the actual watts the CFL's use and not the equivalency the store lists.

The link below shows and explains about everything I have done to date

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Color is important but what is most important is lumens. that is the amount of light available to the plant. watts is good start because typically the higher the watts equals higher lumens but that varies from lamp to lamp. watts are a measure of the amount of electricity the lamp uses and not necessarily the amount of light available to the plant.
    But yes the higher the kelvin number is better. typically the warm color is 3500 and the daylight colors are around 4100 and higher.

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Saorise

Could you ,post some pics. the size and shape of the plant/s will determine the best setup.

{{gwi:570204}}
    Tall and narrow A 13 -18 watt CFL will work fine

{{gwi:39597}}
    more than one plant or wide plant this 4 ft square box uses 12 bulbs

• Saorise_2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks poncirusguy and Mike for all of the info. I really appreciate it. :-)

poncirusguy your setup for your plants is awesome! I was planning on using a floor lamp and shine the light on the plants when it gets dark so they have more light during the winter when they are indoors. Do you think this would work?I am living with my parents while I go to nursing school so they don't want me to have alot of grow lights in my room so I am trying to come up with a way that will work for my trees that wont get me kicked out of the house. lol!

Here are the pictures of my trees.

moro blood orange

{{gwi:600621}}

owari satsuma

{{gwi:600622}}

nules clementine

{{gwi:600623}}

There is a 1 foot long ruler against the trunk of the trees for reference but it is hard to see.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Very nice looking trees.

My 4 foot by 4 foot square with 6 ft walls will work fine. Paint the walls with high gloss bright white. The top should be aluminum food wrap. Another idea would be to use a clothing closet and set 5 feet aside for the plants. Paint bright white. Set the shorter plant between the two tall plants and hang a reflectorless highest watt bulb you can find bulb above the small plant. The light will shine down on the small plant and sideways and down on the other two. The light will hit the side walls to light the far side to give it light. Rotate the plants each day. The last suggestion I have now would to place the tree out jn the open room under a chandelier light for all to see while getting good light

{{gwi:600624}}
    chandelier turned upside down with lights angled outward attached to a standard ceiling fan.

Use a timer for your trees. They are very finicky to changes in light length and can lose there leaves

• Saorise_2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks poncirusguy those are all wonderful ideas! I will look into them and see what I can do. Thanks again for all of your help. :-)