Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Leaves on my Orange Tree, Help!!!!!

Posted by spinspin (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 5:36

Hello, Citrus Gurus,

My orange tree must have got some problem. Please see attached picture. The leaves of the left most tree turned yellow and the tiny oranges are dropping!

There was an accident about a month ago. A sprinkler head close to this tree was broken. Since the sprinkler was covered by mulch, I didn't notice the broken head until the leaves turned yellow. I guess that is caused by over-watering. I stopped watering this tree after I found out and fixed the broken sprinkler. I though the way could give some time to let the soil dry. It seems like the leaves turns a little bit greener, but the yellowish leaves have never gone.

Recently, I noticed that the leaves turns to yellow again! I was wondering whether it was caused by no enough water? I didn't water it for about a month. But if watering is a cause, how come the other two orange trees with about the same size next to this tree look very healthy? Could no enough water cause any problem for this size tree? If it is caused by any diseases, how come only this tree is infected while all three trees are so close to each other?

Please help! I am really anxious because I don't want to lose such a big nice tree. Its fruits were so sweet! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Leaves on my Orange Tree, Help!!!!!

BTW, I am in California.

o

Possibly some type of iron or nutrient deficiency, Maybe?I'm not sure if this might be the problem,but this is a product that I use with good success whenever I have issues with yellowing leaves. I'm not an expert(and I also live in Florida) which may or may not make a difference. This might not be sold in your neck of the woods, but I'm sure there will be a similar product that you can find. I use this product per directions on the package. Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: CHELATED CITRUS Nutritional Spray

o

Well you have certainly over watered it, stressed it and possibly scorched it when it was stressed. Short of doing a deep root moisture test you have to guess when its ok to return to regular watering. Once you feel it is safe to give it water again I would recommend fertilizing it with a moderate to high Nitrogen fertilizer, something that is 2-1-1 ratio, and has some trace nutrients too.

Giving it a bit of shade might also not be a bad idea since it is clearly in a healing stage. Which also means you should keep a close eye on disease and insects since its more susceptible to it in this state.

Good luck, keep us posted.

o

Thanks you all very much for your response. I will try to add some nutrient. But I am just wondering that if nutrient was the cause, how come the other two trees grow OK and did not turn yellow at all?

Also, for a 15 feet tall orange tree as this tree is, how robust it is? Would it easily die because of some damage? I though their root is deep enough to heal itself after the problem is fixed. I might be wrong though...

Thanks.

o

We planted a Valencia last spring and got a LOT of rain and have had yellow leaves for about 6-8 weeks (rain stopped two weeks ago). My hub says fertilize or even transplant, I say it's new and overwatered and probably a little shocky-let her rest.

Any suggestions? How did you go, spinspin? Thank you.

o

Looking at your picture, it looks like the yellow tree gets more sun earlier. Overwhelmed by sun? Maybe needs a little MORE water? Just guesses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here