Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

bark rotting at base of tree

brass_tacks
14 years ago

My questions is ... Can I remove bark from ALL AROUND THE BASE of a tree, clean the area and smooth the area and paint with shellac and expect the tree to live?

Just noticed that after a rain that while the moisture on the leaves and wood was dry, the base of a few citrus trees had damp looking wood at the base of the tree. At closer inspection I could feel that the bark was somewhat soft and could be easily lifted with my finger.

The proceedure I described above is what I did and then I attached some plastic with silver tape above the wound to protect the wound and the plastic far enough so that any rain would not splatter the base of the truck.

I won't be able to get back to the thread before the PM, but I'm hoping someone will have some answers.

I might add that the trees had been loosing leaves -- more than the rest, and also these trees had large suckers that had grown that I cut off last year (at the base of the trees). The last reason I believe this happened is that each one of these trees had sunk below the surrounding soil -- a result of me digging a much larger hole than what was needed when I first planted the trees. The trees are mature. I was going to dig the trees up and replant them, but didn't get around to it. Now, of course, I'm sorry.

Comments (3)