Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bark rotting at base of tree

Posted by brass_tacks 8b/GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 7:27

My questions is ... Can I remove bark from ALL AROUND THE BASE of a tree, clean the area and smooth the area and paint with shellac and expect the tree to live?

Just noticed that after a rain that while the moisture on the leaves and wood was dry, the base of a few citrus trees had damp looking wood at the base of the tree. At closer inspection I could feel that the bark was somewhat soft and could be easily lifted with my finger.

The proceedure I described above is what I did and then I attached some plastic with silver tape above the wound to protect the wound and the plastic far enough so that any rain would not splatter the base of the truck.

I won't be able to get back to the thread before the PM, but I'm hoping someone will have some answers.

I might add that the trees had been loosing leaves -- more than the rest, and also these trees had large suckers that had grown that I cut off last year (at the base of the trees). The last reason I believe this happened is that each one of these trees had sunk below the surrounding soil -- a result of me digging a much larger hole than what was needed when I first planted the trees. The trees are mature. I was going to dig the trees up and replant them, but didn't get around to it. Now, of course, I'm sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bark rotting at base of tree

NO.

The very thin layer of tissue (called phloem) that transports photosynthates from the leaves to the roots and other parts of the tree body is located directly under the bark. As a matter of fact, we call it the 'inner bark'. The removal or death of this phloem tissue, when it occurs all around the trunk, is called 'girdling'. Perhaps you've heard of that term. It's a method of killing a tree or other woody plant. Death of a tree isn't usually immediate, as you have observed. It can take months or years.

Planting too deeply, piling mulch or soil up against the trunk, tree wraps, and other factors contribute to this problem in the home landscape.

You cannot protect the wound or do anything whatsoever to fix the problem at this late date. The phloem has ceased to exist and the essential transport system is gone.

Next time, measure the height of the root ball very carefully and dig the hole so that the root mass will sit HIGHER than the existing grade, not lower.

o

Thanks Rhizo,
That's the word 'girdling' I couldn't remember. So, if the wound would have happened in just one area instead of all the way around, the tree might have a chance. Is that correct?

o

Yes, if there is a reasonable amount of phloem tissue all of the way from the branches to the root system, woody plants tend to struggle along. IF all other factors are positive influences, and not negative.

With your situation, it sounds like the wood rotted even before you lifted the bark away. It's very difficult to separate healthy inner bark from the tree body.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here