Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Topwork graft - above or below old graft line?

Posted by serge94501 Sunset 17 Alameda, (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 8:20

I have 8 tiny Walmart citrus trees (mandarins, all) and my plan is to graft more desirable scions on top. Is it better to cut below the original graft line and just topwork the rootstock or to work with the originally grafted material (andarin wood) or does it not make a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Topwork graft - above or below old graft line?

You can do it either way; if you leave some of the mandarin and graft to that, the mandarin part then becomes what is known as an internode (you can google that) The problem with internodes is you now have three varieties, namely the rootstock, the internode, and finally your preferred variety; and the odds are that they will not all grow at the same rate, leaving you with a somewhat ungainly plant.
Sometimes growers will intentionally graft in an internode, in cases where the desired scion is not compatible with the desired rootstock.

o

Thank you, John. I think I will try a couple of each and see how it goes. I have done about 10 grafts (some with help, some alone) and so far it looks like only 1 took - my least interesting one. Oh well.

o

Serge,

With citrus the most success is with T-budding; it is almost foolproof, even I can get more than 50% success.

o

Do you do multiple grafts on a tree/branch to hedge your bet? I have to say i am a little bummed at my success rate so far.

o

Hi Serge,

Maybe too late to be of help, but my suggestion would be to graft above the original graft union. One reason is that it gives you room to try again if your graft dies. The other reason is that it gives you more room to try multiple grafts. If you do not want the variety above the original graft union, just pinch off the suckers; you will have to do that with the rootstock anyway.

Best regards,
Dan

o

Thanks, Dan! That's what I ended up doing. I hope I didn't roast the grafts in the hot weather we had :S I will unwrap and check in 2 more weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here