Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Would you like to avoid bad pests? Try this. It works for me.

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I am sharing this with you based on my personal experience and rewards.

I tried this experiment to see if it made any difference and it did for me and others too.

For the past few recent years except for "last" summer, I would use a fish emulsion product, then a a hose end sprayer to hose down ALL my outdoor "and" indoor plants, including ALL my tropicals...

This includes my gardenias, citrus, clivias,plumerias,brovardias,olive trees,dracaneas,palms,bonsais,cactus, everything.

Years before spraying. I would have severe problems with pests, especially with scale, and "last" year, after summer again. They especially attacked my citrus and gardenias..I had to battle scale for weeks on a couple of my plants until all was eradicated...

Spraying fish emulsion kept, and still keeps the pest's away on our plants! Not only that, but it also encouraged and still encourages the leaves to stay a beautifully shiny green, while the natural oils suffocate anything that might of suck the life out of my precious possessions..It also improves the overall health of my plants, as I think whether they are in a container or in the ground, benefit in some way from a good feed of this stuff to the root system..

I wanted to share. You should see the fruits and vegitables, especially my tomatos and rasberries,that get hit with this stuff!

Two of my friends have done so now, and they too are having great results and completely satisfied over every year prior.

So much for the scale I had a problem with last year!

Not this year. No pest will be allowed to suck, or eat the leaves or bark on my plants. So far good, so clean..

Try it, it worked great for me this year again, and I will never ever go another summer without spraying fish emulsion on my plants at least once a week..Have you ever seen what happens to plants after a thrunderstorm or a good rain shower? Spraying them this way seems to have the same affect to my plants after it has been done. they perk up and are so revived...

Spray early in the am, or late in the afternoon..

Mike..:-0)

Comments (27)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Hi Mike, are you saying you just spray pure fish emulsion right out of the bottle on your plants and trees?

Does it make your plants and trees smell fishy?

• buylady
    13 years ago

Hey Mike i was wondering the same thing, we eat a lot crappy i usually dump the water on the plants dirt so to speak...boy does it smell yuck....Ok now i been looking for you done several plants monday and showed you the plants on nother forum so my Q. is i watered one of them today and it ran right thru so this being said how often do i water the new mix i learned from you?? thx again Mike for ALL your wonderful help

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No not like that..

I use a nose end spray bottle, like the Mircale Gro bottle that is attached at the end of your hose, then I fill it 1/4 to 1/2 with just emulsion..Then turn the hose on and sprinkle away..It measures the right amount of both emulsion and water coming out perfectly!

Everything smells a little fishy just for a few hours, but then gone..Not bad for such a great product and great reults..

Mike

• buylady
    13 years ago

hey, Mike i don't think you read all my post above bout watering????

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buylady.

I did not see your post..I am so sorry I missed it..
    I will be back after work..Promise..:-)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Mike I'm looking at the Miracle-Gro 100511 LiquaFeed Advance Starter Kit at Amazon.

Is this what I am looking for along with some Fish Emulsion?

Do you know if its safe to foliar feed trees with the Mirical-Gro fertilizer that comes with the kit?

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle-Gro 100511 LiquaFeed Advance Starter Kit

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thisisme, I would refill one of those containers with emulsion, and use it as often as I want..

What I use. I will post a picture of tomorrow for you..

I have never sprayed my houseplants with MG or other fertilizers since I already use FP and slow release for them..Besides, I am looking for pest free plants, killed naturally with the oils and shiny leaves clean leaves..

Hi buylady, I would leave the rains to water all they want and sit back and not worry, then I would hose water when they look dry..You can water as often as you want really, as long as your plants are outside, in full light or sun, and in that fast draining mix..Make sure you use slow release if you water a lot, since this is working out for me along with FP, unless you plan on fertilizing every time you water..

Great job!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few pictures of the plants sprayed this way and the products I use..They are and have been pest free...The blueberries are abundant and the foliage a shiny green, even befoe a rain storm..:_)

Pictures taken this morning, Saturday July 2

{{gwi:601153}}

{{gwi:601155}}

{{gwi:601157}}

{{gwi:601159}}

{{gwi:601160}}

{{gwi:601165}}

{{gwi:601166}}

• buylady
    13 years ago

oh ok OMG are those bluberries?? i have many plants out side planted in a patch...bought 9 new ones this yr...Ok back to watering i used that Osc???? mispelled LOL it is slow release...but my plants are NOT outside it gets way to hot on my deck no roof..ok now how did you do your acid blueberry pot to be acid enough to produce?? do i need m.Gro acid on my trees too i have it...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Buylady,

I use vinegar and just water in..My soil is already acidic enough. If you want to feed your blueberries Miracid, that is ok too...

I spray the all with Fish Emulsion every week to keep the green and very productive. Remember, that they like to be watered a lot to keep the fruit hydrated..

Have a great day, I am off to the beach..:-)

Mike

• buylady
    13 years ago

Ok Mike, i just found a forum on making new blueberry plants yipppee i won't have to buy any more if it works..thx so much Mike for the info AGAIN LOL...you sure are the most knowledgable person i found on here...YOU have a gr8 at the beach...

• buylady
    13 years ago

Looking for thisisme? i saw your post on another forum you grow fig trees?? oh wow are they outside an are they dwarf can they potted?? any chance of getting one from you to plant or a seedling for an exchange for what???

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Hi buylady any trees I will be getting rid of are to big to ship. I have a bunch on rooted cuttings I'm testing but I don't know if those varieties are keepers yet.

If I feel up to it I may root some more cuttings this Fall for sale next Spring but I'm pretty busy so I can't say for sure. There are other reputable members in the fig forum who sell fig cuttings and rooted cuttings and trees. Always buy from a reputable forum member if you can. Most nurseries have a bad record when it comes to selling figs. So many of them are mislabeled and it can take one or two seasons before you find out.

• buylady
    13 years ago

Ok well keep me in mind...i may go check thx for the info

• tanww888
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing the information. I can't find Neptune's Harvest product in my area. The only place I can get it is Amazon.com. Alaska fish emulsion product is the only one I can get if from Home Depot or Lowes. Do you think the Alaska product will work?

Thanks,

Johnny

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes..I have used it and still do...All "natural" fish emulsion is great. I like Neptune's because it is processed differently, is readily available here, since I only live 30 minutes from Gloucester where it is made, and smell less, I think anyway..Lol
    It doesn't smell like a batch of rotting fish on a deck..

Mike...:-)

• tanww888
    13 years ago

That's great. I'll try it and see if the ants and pests will disappear.

Thanks,

Johnny

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I'm kinda afraid to spray Fish Emulsion on my ripening figs. Their fruit absorbs water through their skin and I'm worried it will make my figs smell and taste fishy.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The fish smell only lasts for a few hours, and a couple of farms that use it say they use their's up till day of harvest...Not sure about figs though. Vegetables and local fruit though, including peaches, no problem..

• ashita
    13 years ago

Mike, your citrus are glowing with health! I'm wondering if this idea is going to help me!!! Problem is how long the effect lasts!

I am going away for 3 weeks in August, and am leaving my precious plants to the mercy of two (responsible) teenage neighbors. I know they will water properly -- I'm not worried about that -- but it's the swallowtail butterflies I am worrying about. I patrol morning and night removing eggs or small caterpillars, but I am sure the boys will not be as vigilant. Really those caterpillars can decimate my citrus. Does the fish emulsion keep them away? Or do you have any other ideas (organic)?

Ashita

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have never had this problem, I can not honestly say...It has worked for every kind of pest native to by area, the usual damaging ones that is...I mean, scale, spider mites, thrips, mealy, aphids and so on....

I have never experienced some kinds of insect many people here have but have heard from many friends all over the country and beyond that love it and say it definitely alleviates their insect problems. It wouldn't hurt to try..

I personally would use neem oil since it is stronger and tends to linger longer on the plant...I don't know of the caterpillars you speak of. So sorry.

You know, I would take this question and post it over at the Pest and Disease forums. I know a lot of people there that have expertise in the buggy department....Try it out...I would be curious as to what they have to say..

Good luck and congrats on finding reliable waterers at least...:-)

Mike

• ashita
    13 years ago

Mike, I searched for fish emulsion here in Tokyo, and have found one product which seems like it might be right. It is made from fish, is a foliar feed and its selling point is it's full of amino acids. Does this sound right to you?

Ashita

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

Do the blueberries and the citrus fruit smell of fish if you try to eat them (I know that you do not eat the citrus fruit that you grow, but you must have tried the blueberries?)? I use fish emulsion as a fertilizer but avoid foliar feeding with it because of the bad smell that might linger on the fruits.

• buylady
    13 years ago

hi all i don't no bout any ones else but thats why started growing my own fruit trees was for the fruit i haven't had all that many but i'm trying repot all of them..

Mike are your blueberries in pot or in the ground..mercy i've ordered fish emul...superthrive,rooting gel, but don't no how to use the superthrive can u help Mike..plants are looking a little better one the deck i think... send pics in few days..

• thisisme
    13 years ago

A word of caution here. At 1 Tablespoon per gallon Alaskan Fish Emulsion burned the leaves on my plums and cherries. The fruit trees with thinker leaves like apples, pears and citrus did fine.

Next time I think I will go with 2 teaspoons per gallon.

• buylady
    13 years ago

Ok gr8 i'll do that...thats like me yrs ago i was in to house plants an was goin to be gone for 3 weeks vac...so i watered them good with some kind of plant food MG probably came home ALL dead burned'em up LOL so i'm really causious w/it now..thx for the info

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello,

I haven't had any problems associated with the questions being asked me. No fish taste on my blueberries, in fact extra huge and planted in the ground, nor any of my tomatos or any vegi's for that matter...
    I have friends that eat my citrus fruit, that rave on how tsasty they are, but or course they do not eat the rind.
    I have use it on my peaches and pears up to a the day of harvest on my rasberries and nothing. I just rinse off the fruit, although none that had a fish taste that I didn't rinse either

As for spraying them, the dosage I use is what is set to come out of my MG jug. I always water very early in the am, then come back a coupe of our later when i am home, and spray all my plants with water again...If I do not respray, I still have no burn, because when ever I spray any kind of fertilizer, organic or chemical, and or pest sprays, it is always done hours before or after the heat of the full day sun..Not sure if the emulsion makes a diiference on my plants, but it is pure and cold pressed, a proccess that Neptune's Harvest brags is better than any other fish product...
    Just a habit I guess spraying hours from the heat of the sun with anything but just water...

Buylady, I do not know a thing about Superthrive. Tony does and she might be able to shed some light on this..

I hope everyone is having a great summer thus far, but I think I am about to enter into a drought period...Oh boy!

Buylady, I am so happy your plants are finally outdoors! maybe the good bugs will attack the bad ones, as long as you stay with natural pesticides...Focus on ridding the pests and your soil mix, and your plants will never look as good as you could ever imagine in such a short period of time..

Keep smiling and be strong.. Hi everyone!

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz