Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon or Oranges in Zone 6a/b

Posted by greentreetea none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 9:42

Hi,

I want to plant a lemon or orange tree in my garden to take advantage of both the wonderful blooms and the fruit thereafter.

Will I be wasting my time and money trying to plant citrus in my area (Zone 6a/b) or shall I give it a shot?

Any particularly suitable varieties I should look at?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon or Oranges in Zone 6a/b

Do you mean potted or in the ground?

Yes on potted- any variety you like.

Your in the ground options are severely limited to just about one, I think.
Linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trifoliate orange

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 9:58

Just a few hours below freezing can severely damage almost all citrus. Kumquats and a few Satsuma are pretty hardy but anything that could survive zone 6 winters wont produce tasty fruit. Trifoliate orange is probably the most hardy but you wont want to eat the fruit. If you want to plant straight into the ground you will need to fashion a way to protect them from the cold. Some have put up temporary greenhouses made from wood or pvc and covered with plastic. You would need to add a heat source also. One thing you can do to make it "look" like its in ground is to leave it in the pot and bury it, its commonly called plunging. A couple benefits to this is you can obviously move the tree during cold spells and the earth helps to regulate the rootzone temperatures. Some also suggest drilling extra holes on the sides of the pot to allow the roots to grow out into the surrounding soil. I have done this with a few plumeria and they seem to love it.

Mike

o

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think you'll be successful if you plant outdoors. Best bet is to go for a miniature plant that you can keep indoors during the winter. I'm sure the other forum members will have additional (and hopefully more useful) information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reconditioned Forklift Store

o

Or, you plant in-ground and surround your tree with a glass house that you can space heat all winter. I plan on planting one of mine in the ground in my greenhouse. Have you seen Fruitnuts?

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruitnuts beautiful in-ground greenhouse tree.

o

Don't we think that greenteatree is pulling our legs? I like your idea, Mike....plant a citrus and then build a greenhouse around it. lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here