Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Member Introduction & Video

Posted by rishel none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 9:56

Hello everyone! Very long time lurker here, decided to go ahead and register. Absolutely love the information on this website, and its community is fabulous. I have learned a wealth of information from the members here.

I live in North Florida, and am slowly working our citrus trees and hydroponics up. I have 2 lovely daughters and an awesome wife, and they all enjoy what we are learning and building at the same time.

Do not want chickens! Although the wife does, so this may very well be a losing battle :(

Looking forward to learning more from everyone, and interacting directly now that I am registered.

Below is a video of our citrus growth as of July 2012

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Citrus As Of July 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Member Introduction & Video

Awesome! That was fun, Christian. I 'll expect to see chickens following you all over the place in the next one, though. Unless, of course, the gators get them. Do you have gators in that waterway or is it seawater and not just brackish?

I'm going to make a couple of suggestions, if that's okay. Turf grass can be a real problem for trees planted in a lawn. Not only do the grass plants compete (very successfully) for water and dissolved nutrients, they also want to hog all of the rhizosphere. Many turf grass species win these underground battles with allelopathic chemicals. I would encourage you to remove a very generous circle of sod from under the trees...extending as far beyond the drip line as you are willing to give to the trees.

Replace the sod with 2 to 3 inches of bark mulch, making sure that you don't pile any against the trunk. One of the single most beneficial things we can all do for trees of any kind is to replace grass with mulch. If you'd like more information about that, let me know.

I'm also wondering about the staking on one tree, and concerned about how tight the tape seems to be. The tape needs to be removed PDQ and hopefully the tree doesn't need to be staked.

I didn't see a sign of any pest problems on any of your trees...everybody will want you to share your ideas and experiences. How long have some of these trees been in the ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here