Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Possible Cure for Citrus Greening

Looks like U of FL has found a possible cure for Citrus Greening. Much more study needed, of course, but this is quite the breakthrough.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of FL News: Breakthrough in Citrus Greening

Comments (2)

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Great news thank you for posting the link!
    I hope they can move things along faster than the usual FDA regulations style quagmire - its obviously urgent that we get a solution to the issue. But still safe to all.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I think they are moving to field testing, now, and that will be the telling tale. That, and if there is any residual of the chemical that may be on or in the fruit, that could possibly pose a toxicity problem after ingestion. So, much testing still to do. We all want things to move speedily along, most especially the commercial citrus growers around the world. But, the researchers are also aware of the potential liver toxicity associated with this drug when used in its original indication, treatment of gout. So, will be very, very interested in the future testing. First real promising and realistic treatment for existing trees, and huge, huge breakthrough. And, I suspect a rather inexpensive treatment as well.

Patty S.