Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellusionz

'Cutie' type citrus search in Florida

ellusionz
10 years ago

I am looking for a completely seedless and easy to peel type citrus plant like the yummy lil cuties you'd buy in the store. I had purchased a clementine but way too many seeds in it. While searching on here I came across the recommendation for a Kishu mandarin and heard some raves about a Tango mandarin. Could anyone give me more insight about these or another type that might match what I want?

Also, I need to find a way to order it for Florida as I've noticed most places are in Cali and won't ship to me since we do citrus here.

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

The "Cutie" mandarin is a marketing program to market small, seedless, easy to peel mandarins. The "Cutie" is actually a compilation of 2 to 3 different mandarins (to extend the sales season), so, depending upon what time of year it is, the "Cutie" can be a Clementine, usually Clemnules (they are seedless, not sure what you may have purchased in the store, but remember "seedless" means you might still find a few or an occasional seed), the Tango and the W. Murcott Afourer mandarin. Yes, the 'Seedless Kishu' is an exceptionally flavored and completely seedless mandarin, and my favorite of all the mandarins (very close second is Clemnules for me). If you can find any of those 4 mandarin varieties, you'll be quite happy with your choice. And you are correct, California cannot ship into Florida or vice versa. I would contact your local nursery to see what they can get for you.

Patty S.

• australis
    10 years ago

If you wanna get the classic big round fleshy orange, then get Washington
    or one of their modern offsprings
    Lane Late
    Newhall
    if wanna get pink oranges
    Cara cara
    if want red
    Red Washington (Sanguino)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

australis, the "Cutie" here in the USA is actually a (series) of mandarins sold in the state of California, not an orange :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Pacific: Cuties Mandarins

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Ellusionz,

If you are anywhere near Dade City Florida Floyds citrus nursery has the Kishu. They are more geared to commercial sales but will sell retail even a single tree. Very nice folks.

• ellusionz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've actually located a kishu at two places. Brite leaf will have it in late 2014 but I'm impatient and came across harris nursery who will have one ready in like sept or oct. Thanks for all your help!

• BamaBay
    10 years ago

I think you should look into Satsumas. They won't do quite as well in south Florida and have seeds but they are insanely easy to peel.