Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Damage on Meyer Lemon Tree

Posted by bob_stl 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 10:14

Howdy folks! The leaf damage is on several leaves and looks like something went chewing straight across the leaf. They are all straight lines, one line per leaf, perpendicular to the main leaf vein. Would anybody happen to know what this is and how to stop it?

Thanks,
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Damage on Meyer Lemon Tree

If you can post a photo and tell us where you live, it would be a big help in answering your question. Also, is the tree in a container, or planted inground.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 15:57

i would say either caterpillar or grasshopper most likely. either way you will probably have to catch them in the act.

Mike

o

Picture required! Doesn't sound like catetpillar or grasshopper damage to me...but a decent picture would make a big difference.

o

Thanks guys. I live in St. Louis, MO. Well, Illinois side now but it started when I was on the Missouri side of the river.

Here's the pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The pattern does not look like any bug damage to me. It looks like someone spread on chemical or the mechamical demadge where the leave was caught in between two heavy objects.

o

Well, I know it's not mechanical because, the tree was just sitting on my apartment balcony and there was nothing to cause that kind of damage on leaves on different points of the tree. I don't think it's chemical because every leaf that has it, the lines go straight across the leaf, and there was a lime tree sitting just inches away that, I believe, only had one leaf with this marking.

o

Very odd, Bob. It does look like mechanical damage to me, too. I would watch your tree to see if it sustains further damage. If so, I would go out in the evening/early night and see if you can spy an insect or bug causing this. Or, you can send your photos into your local extension service to see if they have any ideas? Very strange.

Patty S.

o

Can we see the underside of the leaf?

o

I have this same thing occasionally on my garden Meyers; I think it is caused by a small worm (maybe a baby inchworm?); but I don't know for sure because when you see this damage the worm is gone. I have the same issue, but a larger worm that does this to my Canna lilly leaves; both are rather small populations and only affect a few leaves. They don't seem to cause any other damage; so I don't stress about it; still I am curious to know what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here