Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Lime Questions

Posted by BradP316 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 10:15

I just bought a Mexican Lime tree and this will be my first fruit tree. I live in SC so my tree will stay outside during the spring/summer/fall and come inside during the winter. I have a few questions:

1. I transferred the tree from a 5 gallon bucket to a 20 inch pot. The pot I bought at Lowe's doesn't have holes. I potted it in Sta-Green Moisture Max potting soil to help with retaining water. I also sprinkled 4 teaspoons of citrus lime fertilizer around the edge of the pot like the nursery told me to do and watered it pretty heavily. Should I drill a few holes in the bottom of the pot to help with drainage?

2. Assuming I do drill holes in the pot, how often should I water the tree. The man I spoke to at the nursery said that these trees don't like alot of water yet I've been reading where people water them every day in pots.

3. I bought the tree with some fruit already set on the tree. Once the fruit start growing, about how long does it take for them to grow before they ripen?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Lime Questions

1. you may run into issues with the potting mix retaining to much moisture, causing root rot.

2. for someone like me, that lives in TX where we have long, hot, scorching summers, i may water everyday, but usually its every other day.

3. it can take around 3-4 months for limes to mature.

o
RE: Mexican Lime Questions

holes are a must in container grown citrus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here