Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rishel_gw

Blood Orange From The Wild (Seedling) Interesting Read...

rishel
11 years ago

Hey everyone, have a question...

This is my blood orange tree, it was taken from the wild, from a swamp area. Let me explain a bit more. Behind my house is private property, about 50,000+ acres of private land (swamp, wetlands, and high-n-dry areas, all wooded). There are hundreds of wild blood orange trees growing, literally everywhere. Generally you find 2 to 12 all within a 40 foot area, literally clustered. And the blood oranges on those trees are phenomenal, the best I have had.

The land owner had me transfer some from the wild to his house area (about a mile away), essentially relocating them to around his house, and they are responding and growing remarkably.

In that process he lets me take some and put them at my house, so I transplanted one that was 12 inches tall. Fast forward about 18 months and its now approximately 8 foot tall. I keep trimming the top (twice now) to a height of six foot to get it thicken up, which is working very well.

Anyone have any experience with a similar situation, a seedling take from the wild, and have it produce? I am wondering what the chances are that this will be successful?

These blood orange trees have been growing wildly on that property for over 62 years, and they are literally everywhere, even places you would not expect.

I've seen smaller blood orange trees (much smaller actually, half the size) with blooms on them and more, and yet so far on this one... nothing.

Thoughts? Its a gorgeous tree, but the spikes on this guy are off the charts, literally the length of my palm, more than 4.25 inches.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville