Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heyjude2012_gw

What to do about branch damage

HeyJude2012
10 years ago

Hi everyone-I have a very small Moro blood orange I bought almost 2 years ago that was basically a tiny branch with a couple of leaves on it. It was doing really well and grew very straight and tall and then finally kinda bent over and another branch started growing out of the side so it looks like I have two branches now.

I got home from work last night and one of my huge brandywine tomatoes decided to party with my Moro. It had fallen over onto it and the tomato cage was lying on the bigger Moro branch putting a good bend in it right where it bifurcates with the second branch. it doesn't look like its torn at all, just bent. I propped it back up with a tomato cage.

Any thoughts on what else I should do? I have some green tape-should I bind it at all? Leave it alone and hope for the best?

I am not very happy about this. I had just moved my brandywine so it could get more sun (container gardener) and look how it repaid me.

Jude

Comments (9)

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

Those Brandywines are tasty but aggressive aren't they! Mine have surrounded a Meyer.
    I'd do the same. Support it / push it in the direction that you want. Yes, i would use some green tape so it stays put in the direction / shape that you want. Longer term you will want to avoid the support to force it to grow strong on its own.

Hopefully some of the shaper / trainer experts on this forum can offer advice....

George K.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Can you submit a picture?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I think I would leave it alone; good chance it will recover with its own support. Last week I had a giant flor linda vine fall on top of my garden Meyer; it looked pretty bad for a few days, but now it is back to "normal"..

• HeyJude2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I got home late last night and ran outside to take a picture. I removed the tomato cage support and the tree looks perfect. I even put a little pressure on it to see if it would fall over. I put the cage back for now and I'll give it a couple of days with it. Darned thing bit me. I didn't realize it had such big thorns!!!

That Brandywine could have fallen over in any other direction and wouldn't have hit anything. Crazy!

Yes...I have leaf miners. The trees on the canyon rim have leaf miners and the ones close to my patio door don't have leaf miners but they have aphids. Working on both. It's never ending.........

Oh, and I've had it a year not two. My concept of time is no longer functioning. :)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Thorns??? on a tree that size??? For my garden Meyers I cut off the thorns with a nail clipper; after that they don't "bite" me; same for my new efforts at container citrus. Every time one gets me, I cut it and any others I see.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Looks like I am not the only one to remove thorns on my citrus! Thanks John for posting that! I got tired of moving my trees and getting "bit" also!

Andrew

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I definitly leave the thorns on my citrus trees. I think they make the tree. But then again I am not harvesting yet. Your tree looks fine. just let it do what trees do.

• HeyJude2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow! My thought processes never extended to the personal grooming of my tree :))))). I love the idea of clipping the thorns. Maybe I can get some use out of the nail clippers I bought to use on my cats. They run if they see them in my hand. I don't think my tree will do that. Lol!

That tree actually has 2 little baby oranges on it. I'm thinking its probably too small/young to be able to have fruit mature on it. Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much. Jude

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I am in favor of growth over fruit any day. The fact that it is a blood orange with big fruit instead of a nagami kumquat with small fruit makes it more important to remove the fruit. The fact that it is a sweet fruit instead of a sour fruit, it will demand for more resources making it even more important. to remove. The fact that it is in a pot and not ground limits the tree even more to its ability to produce fruit. last but not least, the extreme amount of sun, heat and dry air will work against you if you ever forget to water your little treasure.

May the growth be with you