Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msugrl2010

espoma cactus/citrus mix?

msugrl2010
11 years ago

Hello,

Has anyone ever used or is currently using the espoma cactus/citrus potting mix? (picture of it is below)

http://ecogardensupply.com/Espoma-Organic-Cactus-Mix-4-qt.html

Does it work well? I don't have the resources to make a gritty mix, so this might be what I use for my 2 small citrus trees.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Comments (7)

• krismast
    11 years ago

From what I've found online, this mix contains peat moss and sand, both of which I believe are a no no, according to what I've read here. I know that people have had good luck growing in peat based potting mixes, but it takes a lot of work making sure you don't overwater, which is the biggest reason people fail. That's what happened to me. I focused too much on not overwatering that I actually underwatered and it dried up and died. If you want something to drain well it should have a good amount of pine or fir bark or grit. Maybe you can track down a good quality orchid or bonsai potting mix?

Kristopher

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I have no luck with that, and then or course I have to bring mine in for the winter in which I have to watch that any mix I use does not takes days to dry out, and that one did.

Mike

• msugrl2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kris and Mike,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely avoid this mix and go with the 70% perlite and 30% soil mix, seems like the best option for me ;)

msugrl

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Depends. Mike and others who have to over-winter container citrus indoors will need to use a much faster-drying mix. For those of us doing citrus in containers outside year 'round, and are in hot/dry climates, we HAVE to use something that is more water-retentive. I could never use the 5-1-1 or Gritty Mix for my outdoor citrus. I'd kill them all :-) I water about every 2 to 4 days, depending on how hot it is. I use EB Stone's Cactus Mix which has sand and peat, and the wood particles are much finer. I also use Osmocote Plus with micros, as well as fertilizing every 3 months lightly with regular citrus fertilizer and my citrus in containers are thriving. My pots will still dry out significantly, even with this mix, during the summer months, when it is very hot and we have no rainfall. I even have wood chips as a 2" topping to help retain moisture. If I used the mixes that others use, I'd have to water at least twice a day, and I'd never remember to do that, plus, I'd be wasting water, and since my water bill in the summer months is about $400/month, better to be more water-conservative :-) So, kind of depends on where you live, and how you manage your container citrus :-)

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

400$$$$$$ a month Patty!? Ouch.

You might as well catch all the rain you can get and store it in a manmade pond!
    Now, if I got that little rain and could hardly that much water, you know where I would be, right?
    In your pool...lol

Do you know that all the stores around me stop carrying that Osmocote!? Yes. Why do places always get rid of wonderful products any way. They could hardly keep this stocked, and now, stop selling it:-(

Good to see you and I hope you had a nice few days off:-)

Mike

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

I agree with Patty. It all depends on your climate.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i think southern California water is more expensive b/c they have to reroute water through a very long series of canals/aqueducts.

the past few summers i've been using close to $200/m, but most of that is on the lawn.