Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eureka Lemon Tree question..

Posted by Bullieblack Miami, Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:48

Hi Guys, I have been reading this board for a while and thought I would finally join.

I am a novice to all of this but am so far successfully growing various citrus plants.. I have calamandons, persian lemons (small 1 gallon) Key Lime, avocado, Navel and Valencia orange trees and a eureka lemon tree. I have been dealing with the usual everyone on here deals with, aphids, leaf minor etc..

I have a question about my eureka lemon tree... it is a couple of years old already and I purchased it from a nursury in early may. The tree was infested with leaf minor which I have solved.. the true is flush with new growth now and has lemons on it that don't seem to ripen...

I was wondering if the lemons were affected by the leaf minor to create this burnt look on the lemon? or is this from sunburn?

I would post more pics but I am not sure how to upload more than 1.I am greatly enjoying growing all these Potted plants as it is very rewarding watching them grow and ripen..

any opinions on these lemons and if they are ready to be picked? thanks in advance guys and I will keep doing research to develop my green thumb even further.

This post was edited by Bullieblack on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eureka Lemon Tree question..

Here is how the tree is doing now..

o

This is the tree when I originally bought it in early may. all the leaves shriveled up.. the tree must be at least 3 years old

o

Your lemons won't be ready to harvest until about Dec./Jan.; I don't know if they will get yellow in Miami, but they will get a lighter green; if you have a brix meter (refractometer), you can pick them when the brix (sugar %) gets to 6.5 or 7.
The damage to the fruit appears to be from physical damage; I wouldn't stress about. On the other hand, do you see the small holes in the lemon on the left in your first photo? That is bird damage; small birds often pick at green lemons and limes for the citrus oil which they apply to their feathers to drive off mites.

o

It is funny that my Eureka Lemon is totally variegated so I am sure the fruit will be striped. Guess there are different kinds.Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here