Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Container Time

serge94501
10 years ago

I have a lot of Citrus in the ground...well, not compare to some of the folks here, but a lot for me let's say:

Calamondin, Clementine, Improved Meyer (1), Cara Cara Navel, Improved Meyer (2), Dancy Tangerine, Bearss Lime, Golden Nugget Mandarin, Key Lime, Nippon Orangequat, Yuzu.

Some are doing better than others, there are pesky pests, water and fertilization/soil issues, destructo-kids running around the garden, etc. Thing is...I have run out of space to plant in the ground. I *do* however, have plenty of sunny deck space. Although my wife warned me "NO MORE CITRUS!!!" I could not help myself and got a Seedless Kishu, a Kaffir Lime, and a Meiwa Kumquat.

I am going to have to keep these in containers.

There is a lot of information here I have been reading even though I never kept citrus in containers. I have a few questions, though, and wonder if some more experienced folk could chime in.

1. I got 5 gal plants. I am going to use LARGE containers. I don't see the need to up-pot incrementally and will just start with the size I ultimately want. Problems?

2. 5-1-1 or gritty mix? People say use one or the other. Which one would be best?

3. Was planning on watering with a very small application of Foliage Pro 9-3-6 every time. I note that this is 3-1-2 which has been noted as the preferred Meyer ratio, and not 5-1-2. Will this be OK?

4. My zone is Sunset 17 - am I going to need to pull these inside at some point in the winter?

5. Any sage advice?

Thanks!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz