Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I re-pot my meyer cuttings?

Posted by StickString Ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 12:22

Hello to all,
On 6/1/14 I took some meyer lemon cuttings and began the rooting process. Two of the 6 rooted. They are in small clear water cups filled with perlite and 10% peat and have a ziplock bag over the too of them for humidity. I do not know how many roots are enough roots to allow for a re-pot without killing the cutting. I can see two roots on both cuttings. One cutting has a root that starts in center of cup, works it's way out to edge of cup, all the way down and now starting it's way back up, while the second root has worked down the side of the cup 2 inch's or so.

Does anybody have a picture of rooted meyer lemon cuttings at the "safe" to re-pot stage. I have been really babying these cuttings as I am praying I get atleast one to survive and would hate to pull them out of the growing medium and into the Al's 5-1-1 mix to have then die due to insufficient roots.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I re-pot my meyer cuttings?

What I do is stick those pots into another pot and wait until next summer to repot letting those roots fill the pot and possibly reach into the other...

By then, you can repot with no ill affect at all and have a beautiful healthy plant where the roots belong in darkness)

MIke

o

Mike, thank you for the response. I suppose my problem is they are currently not in "pots" but very small clear drinking cups. I will attach a poor picture although you can see the cup in the background. I am worried the roots will become rootbound. Although I could be completely wrong and they may be fine. Not sure.
Thanks,
Nick

o

This was one of my cuttings that I had high hopes for. I went to our ranch for a few days, got home and all the leaves had dropped off (new growth). 2 days later the cutting turned black and died. When I pulled it, it never grew roots. Only two of my 6 cuttings took roots, although seem to be doing great.

o

Wait till the roots just start wrapping, then transplant.

Steve

o

Thank you for the help. My plan is to slowly make cuts into the ziplock back covering the cups in order to slowly start "hardening" the cuttings. When should I begin this process? I was thinking a two week process? Should I wait for a bigger root system? Or is this process ok to begin now that I know roots are present?
Thanks

o

Any thoughts?

o

Any thoughts?

o

You already hardened them as soon as you took these pics without the bags...They will be just fine especially this time of the year with humidity in abundance

Mike

o

Mike thank you for taking the time to help me out . Much appreciated. I attached a few pics of the roots of my two meyer lemon clippings I have taken. They are currently at 2 months. When the roots first made it to the edge of the cup and were visible, they seemed to be growing at a very fast rate. I saw noticeable differences every two days. The last two weeks or so I have seen no change whatsoever. Any thoughts or reasonings for this? I still keep them covered in ziplock bags.

o

This picture and the one above are from one of my cuttings.

o

This is a pic of my second rooted cutting

o

This is the second pic of my second cutting. Sorry for the poor quality pics. That's for the information. I have really been trying to soak up as much info as possible. These cuttings mean a lot to me and I have really been trying hard to make sure I do everything right. I only have these 2 left out of 6 I originally started with.

Thanks !
Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here