Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stickstring

Should I re-pot my meyer cuttings?

Hello to all,
On 6/1/14 I took some meyer lemon cuttings and began the rooting process. Two of the 6 rooted. They are in small clear water cups filled with perlite and 10% peat and have a ziplock bag over the too of them for humidity. I do not know how many roots are enough roots to allow for a re-pot without killing the cutting. I can see two roots on both cuttings. One cutting has a root that starts in center of cup, works it's way out to edge of cup, all the way down and now starting it's way back up, while the second root has worked down the side of the cup 2 inch's or so.

Does anybody have a picture of rooted meyer lemon cuttings at the "safe" to re-pot stage. I have been really babying these cuttings as I am praying I get atleast one to survive and would hate to pull them out of the growing medium and into the Al's 5-1-1 mix to have then die due to insufficient roots.

Thank you!

Comments (21)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

What I do is stick those pots into another pot and wait until next summer to repot letting those roots fill the pot and possibly reach into the other...

By then, you can repot with no ill affect at all and have a beautiful healthy plant where the roots belong in darkness)

MIke

• stickstring ( Sonoma County, CA 9B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, thank you for the response. I suppose my problem is they are currently not in "pots" but very small clear drinking cups. I will attach a poor picture although you can see the cup in the background. I am worried the roots will become rootbound. Although I could be completely wrong and they may be fine. Not sure.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Original Author
    9 years ago

This was one of my cuttings that I had high hopes for. I went to our ranch for a few days, got home and all the leaves had dropped off (new growth). 2 days later the cutting turned black and died. When I pulled it, it never grew roots. Only two of my 6 cuttings took roots, although seem to be doing great.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Wait till the roots just start wrapping, then transplant.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the help. My plan is to slowly make cuts into the ziplock back covering the cups in order to slowly start "hardening" the cuttings. When should I begin this process? I was thinking a two week process? Should I wait for a bigger root system? Or is this process ok to begin now that I know roots are present?
    Thanks

Original Author
    9 years ago

Any thoughts?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Any thoughts?

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

You already hardened them as soon as you took these pics without the bags...They will be just fine especially this time of the year with humidity in abundance

Mike

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike thank you for taking the time to help me out . Much appreciated. I attached a few pics of the roots of my two meyer lemon clippings I have taken. They are currently at 2 months. When the roots first made it to the edge of the cup and were visible, they seemed to be growing at a very fast rate. I saw noticeable differences every two days. The last two weeks or so I have seen no change whatsoever. Any thoughts or reasonings for this? I still keep them covered in ziplock bags.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This picture and the one above are from one of my cuttings.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a pic of my second rooted cutting

Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the second pic of my second cutting. Sorry for the poor quality pics. That's for the information. I have really been trying to soak up as much info as possible. These cuttings mean a lot to me and I have really been trying hard to make sure I do everything right. I only have these 2 left out of 6 I originally started with.

Thanks !
    Nick

• yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago

stickstring,

how are your cuttings performing, are they a big trees now.

• yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago

stickstring,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulties and I am sure you will overcome it and you plants will be ok.

Pls keep informed and Thank you very much

Original Author
    6 years ago

There go, this is how she looks today.

• yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago

stickstring,wow wow, oh my my my it's so beautiful, oh my i am jealous (in a good way).

Thank you

Original Author
    6 years ago

Yovan, Thank you for the kind words. If you would have seen this small tree 3 months ago you would have laughed, or would have been upset with the neglect it has gone through. Early June it did not have a single green leaf attached, curled, dried, and brown. Mid June every leaf had fallen off and the tree was a stick with branches. Early July it began flushing new growth and hasn't stopped since.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

When did you repot it into the root maker? Was it when it began flushing new growth around the mid-July period? I'm wondering if I should plant my one year old Meyer in an air pruning type container too

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Stickstring, I remember when you first started them and when you came for advice..Bravo my friend!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Kvetch,

I potted into air pot about a week after original pictures were taken. Roots were visible so I went for it. The pots I use are AirPots. love them.

Mike! I bet you do remember! The annoying guy who wouldn't leave you alone with all his questions!!! Haha. The success of my air layers and cutting are most definitely due to you and your willingness to help! To this day I still go back and re-read your posts to me and emails, when I forget answers to questions I've asked you! Thank you again my friend!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths