Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross grafting Salix X Citrus

Posted by weissenheimer European Zone 7 (franzerik@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 12:30

It is rumoured that a guy in Kosice (eastern Slovakia) has succesfully grafted a Citrus to an establised Salix (root stock) and it is growing on his property near (or on) the banks of the Hornad. Can this really be true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross grafting Salix X Citrus

I have no idea, but it is fascinating!

I grow a lot of Willow, and I suppose I could give it a try eventually... ;)

Josh

o

oh my..i've never gotten in to grafting any one no how its done??

o

Not a chance, plants are usually not graft compatible across families.

o

Must be a problem with the translation. It definitely would not work.

o

Well, it's one of those "friend of a friend" things.

I was just in Kosice (came back day before yesterday) together with my wife, visiting her relatives. I've become good friends with her friend's husband who (like me) is a bonsai nut. He mentioned it to me just before I set off to Moldova and when I returned to Kosice (only one day prior to leaving for home again he claimed that a work-mate had acutally seen the tree and that it's true. Too late for the two of us to find the address and have a look, of course. Anyway, he asked me if it could be feasible. What do I know?

OK, so the general feeling is that it is NOT TRUE, yes? I am going to pursue the story and insist that my friend find out where this tree is and for him to photograph the thing if it is in fact true. I'll let you know what I find out.

o

Right -- grafts between plant families never work. And willows and citrus are not merely in different families; they are in separate orders -- not at all closely related. So it will be interesting to see what the plant is actually grafted onto.

o

" ..... it will be interesting to see what the plant is actually grafted onto."

Indeed it will be! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here