Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a Tahitian Pummelo in California

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:05

Hoping one of our California forum members can help me to locate a Tahitian/Sarawak pummelo. I am looking to replace the one that is doing so poorly. Not having any luck with some of my more likely retail resources - Walter Andersen and Armstrong. Exotica had one supposedly, but "grown from seed". A Tahitian pummelo is monoembryonic. So, that would be a crap shoot and probably at least 3 to 4 years before I got any fruit. Would like fruit next season or season after of course. So, any other suggestions in the S. Calif. area or mail order in Calif? Four Winds does not have them.

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a Tahitian Pummelo in California

You have enough heat units for a Chandler; IMHO so much better than the "competition"

o

Have a Chandler, John. And they are very, very good here. I'm just inland enough to get enough heat to make them sweet. I buy locally grown ones from fruit stands and our Farmer's Market. Just nice to have another pummelo. They're about my favorite citrus. I have a Cocktail pummelo hybrid, a Mato Buntan pummelo, 2 Valentine pummelo hybrids, and my poor little Tahitian pummelo that I'm trying to save. I'll probably add a Reinking as well.

Patty S.

o

Take a bud or two from your Tahitian and put it on Macrophylla rootstock; mine are 7 feet tall at one year.

o

Jeepers. Not sure if I can get Macrophylla rootstock, John. That's incredibly tall. I have pretty much figured out my pummelo failure issue. Due to Carizzo rootstock and it's susceptibility to soil pathogens. Which is why I want to try C35, plus it's dwarfing tendencies, always a plus in a dooryard orchard. But, macrophylla is also pretty resistant to phytophthora and does well in more alkaline soils (although my soil isn't really alkaline). And, I believe is more tolerant to salts in the soil, which can be an issue here, being only about 6 miles from the coast. Maybe I'll see if I can find some and to a little testing out in my yard. Just not sure if I'm up to all the pruning, lol!

Patty S.

o

I haven't been able to find any when I searched online. Have you tried calling four winds to see if they know of any companies that sell it? and maybe they would be willing to specially order one for you.

msugrl

o

Well, I do know that Willits & Newcomb grow the Tahitian, but they don't supply to 4 Winds I don't think. Pretty sure 4 Winds grafts all their own citrus, and they don't buy from a grower (at least, for the vast majority of their citrus). I have contacted them, but have not gotten an answer back. Same with Clifton's - no answer back from Clifton's. I rarely get an answer back from them, and the one time I did, John their manager was a little gruff. Kind of taken back. Plus, their prices are nearly double everyone elses. If I can find a retailer that will order from Willits, I can get the tree. If not, I may be going up to Bakersfield for Thanksgiving this year (we have family up there), and I will try to get over there to pick one up.

Patty S.

o

Patty! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you:-0)

I'll bet with your hard work, that tree will turm around before you know it. Talk about constantly thinking and caring for a plant, right? I do it all the time.
Now it's my Variegated rare true CC taht can't be found anywhere that I am worried about, and for days!

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here