Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone know about Citrus Blackfly

Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 13:11

Hi,

I'm here in Central PA and my name is Jim.
Recently I found what might be Citrus Blackflies on
our Petunias.
The sooty mold shut down 70% of the plant.
Check out pics and see what you think. Thanks...
Any info would be appreciated

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone know about Citrus Blackfly

Are they blooming at all? Or is that what you mean by "shut down the plant" -- in other words, not blooming?

If so, look for holes drilled into the flower buds. the tiny dots are likely frass -- caterpillar poop.

o

This was identified in another forum and I'll share. I thought it was caterpillar frass, too, at first. Citrus blackfly not a possibility (it's a warm climate pest).

Anyway, we overlooked the biggest clue seen in the first picture. Anybody see it?

The ripe seed pod of the petunia is spilling seeds all over the place!

Petunias should be dead-headed with regularity, or they go to seed. Seed development takes energy from the plant. Petunias also tend to go downhill in the heat of the summer.

Usually, a good haircut and some fertilization will bring some juvenile vigor back to a petunia.

o

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 16:05

Ok, here's the deal. I took samples to our local Agri office. The Petunia had botrytis blight. It did not have sooty mold. Botrytis blight caused the leaves to drop fast exposing the stems to intense direct sunlight all day.
And those are Petunia seeds. lol. Thanks Everyone for your comments.

o

"seed pod of the petunia is spilling seeds"
Arrrgh! So much for jumping to conclusions. (sigh)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here