Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Pruning a Blood Orange...

Howdy, growers!

I purchased this Moro in March, and re-potted in April.

Despite some chilly weather and a series of pest attacks, the Blood Orange is thriving.

However, one branch is extending dramatically off to one side. I've read here that citrus

must grow a certain number of nodes before they flower. Whether true or not, I'm thinking

that this branch needs to be reduced for balance's sake...and also to fit under cover

for this Wintering!

Blood Orange:

{{gwi:577703}}

The Good:

{{gwi:603415}}

The Bad:

{{gwi:603416}}

And the lovely:

{{gwi:603417}}

Josh

Comments (18)

• mgk65
    13 years ago

Lots of good growth.

The node count is necessary for fruits, but as I recall in previous threads, you got your tree from Four Winds, which means it is a grafted tree, thus likely already is at the required node count to fruit, when it is ready.

One thing that a branch will do is allow the trunk to develop and become thicker. You could wait until you are ready to fit under cover and then only cut back what you need. Once your tree has developed some more (couple of years from now) you can lop off the branch.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response!

Ah, that's great to know about the node count!
    So it's seed-grown plants to which the node count applies! Very comforting.

You're correct, this is a Four Winds' grafted Blood Orange.

I'll post pics when I prune the branch, which will be within a day or two.
    I don't typically do much pruning during the winter/wet season.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Mgk is very helpful Josh..Smart if you ask me...

What he said is so accurate.....It will already produce fruit and flower abundantly!

But I myself would cut that extending one now for my taste, because it will flush with new growth again as soon as you think...It is all about appearance, and you know what you want that tree to look like. That is what is fun about these trees, you can basically shape them any way you want.
    I have a ponderosa that I am constantly cutting back down to the trunk, to keep the trunk fat, almost a bonsai, that is still putting out fruit and flower.. Here is a a couple of pics..:-)

Well, I left my card reader at work..maybe next time..:-0)

Mike

Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I hope you'll post pics of that Ponderosa!

As for my tree...well, I decided to cut the branch this evening...couldn't resist... ;)

Sorry for the bad pictures. Sun was dropping behind the house.

{{gwi:603419}}

{{gwi:603420}}

Josh

• bigmario
    13 years ago

Josh,
    I have been following your moro tree posts and I think that will be my next tree once I get settled on how to do them in pots. Are you using the mix we talked about, with no peat, just bark perlite and pumice? We are going camping in aug. at south shore so will be passing by your way.

As far as pruning, I have read on other sites icluding fourwinds that citrus respond well to pruning and is actually good for them. That uncle of mine in Italy prunes his potted monsters all the time.

{{gwi:603421}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Mario!
    That's a nice, full tree...!
    I hope you have fun camping in the High Sierra. I'll be camping waaaaay up the coast at Patrick's Point
    in early August. I was born in Arcata, but haven't been back to visit for a few years.

Re: Mix
    I am using Bark, Pumice, and Perlite, with Osmocote 4-month release and Foliage Pro every few weeks.
    I am watering very frequently with the temps near 100°F ...everything just drains/dries so quickly.

When I pruned the branch above, there was the most wonderful citrus smell released from the cut!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Josh, I sure will as soon as I get home..

Have a great day!

Mike

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mike! I can't wait!
    I'm going to try to stay cool today....but I've got to sneak in a workout!
    There be no shelter here ;)

Josh

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Josh & Mike! About the extended branch, is that a water shoot or water sucker by chance? We saw it mentioned in another thread and it looked very similar. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks! :-)

• zecowsay
    13 years ago

Hey Mike, how long does it take your Ponderosa to recover from a pruning? I've heard citrus respond well to pruning and I've also heard to never, ever prune a citrus as it harms fruiting. I've got about 5 fruit on mine and I'd like to prune after they ripen.. my tree has a bit of a sprawling habit at the moment.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Gardenathome...No that is the real thing..It is growth that is true growth...Sometimes certain parts of the trees grow faster than others, and I will never figure why..

Hi Zecowsay. They never go through any kind of shock for me. There is no recovery period. Just a hair cut, and then new growth when it is time..It depends on whether you cut it just before a flush of new growth by luck, or just after, then you have to wait for new growth longer or anywhere in between.

I cut mine back in the spring, and it was only a couple of weeks before new growth appeared. For some, I had to wait all summer for it..

All my trees grow fruit and flowers anytime of the year, whether trimmed or not..

Mike..:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I forgot to mention one thing that is probably logical anyway..

The more you trim your trees, the less fruit and flowers you will get.

Sometimes one has to decide between the shape you want to grow your trees into, or just let them grow wild, hope they grow big fast. The bigger the plant equals more fruit and flowers..

Mike

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike. Ah, thank you. How do we tell if a branch is real growth or a water shoot?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Did a little research a while back, and here is the thread that talked about it I thought you would like...

Hope this explains a little bit and helps you out.

Have a great night.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Water shoot

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Thank you!!!

• darlene
    10 years ago

Hi, I have one Moro Blood Orange dwarf tree I've had it for 3 yrs. It's very bushy. Can I prune it and when . How much do I take off? I've got long branches on the sides of the trunk that has been growing too.Please help Thanks. darml@yahoo.com

• darlene
    10 years ago

darlene loux darml@yahoo.com pruning blood oranges

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello!
    Best time to prune would be after the chance of frost in late Spring.
    I can't really say how much would be safe to remove without seeing the tree in its entirety.

Josh