Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pergola-like structure/scaffolding over a lemon orchard??

Posted by castorp z9 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 13:49

I saw a picture of this first in a magazine and I was intrigued. I looked up another picture below. Can anyone tell me the purpose of this scaffoding or pergola like structure over an Italian Lemon grove? What is it called? I'm thinking about imitating it in my garden.

Thanks!

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: pergola/scaffolding over a lemon orchard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pergola-like structure/scaffolding over a lemon orchard??

Yes, I've mentioned these on my website page about Sorrento Lemons. See link below.
'The lemon groves require protection from cold winter winds, rain, hail and occasional frost. Tall wooden frames are built and sides and roof were traditionally covered in a kind of rush, twig or bamboo matting. Today black polythene mesh sheeting is being used extensively as a replacement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Lemon Groves

o
RE: Pergola-like structure/scaffolding over a lemon orchard??

Thanks for the information and pictures, Citrange. I've wanted to learn about this for some time.

I wonder if anyone else in the world grows citrus this way or the technique is peculiar to that part of Italy.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here