Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning/Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon

Posted by tcleigh 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 13:52

Hello all:

I have a dwarf meyer lemon tree in a big container (not sure how many gallons). it has stayed relatively small since i bought it 2 years ago. it had a lot of blossoms this year, so i was hoping for a lot of lemons, but all but one fell off. not sure why this happened, but the tree only has one lemon at present.

anyway, im moving at the end of july and my question is this: how can i prune/repot this tree to be able to transfer it to zone 6a? is it too late in the summer to prune? if i moved it to a smaller container, could i prune the roots?

i'm not worried about losing the sole lemon, i just would like to be able to move it without killing it. ever since it was overwintered last year, it has had blotchy, unhealthy looking leaves, so i think it might appreciate a good prune, but i dont want to kill it.

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning/Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon

Moving from zone 9 to 6 I would not do anything. You are not going to kill the plant. For 50cents you can get a new lemon. After you move in and understand where the tree is going to spend its summer then you can determine the best plan on root pruning/repoting.

o
RE: Pruning/Repotting Dwarf Meyer Lemon

thanks, dsieber!

my issue, however, is space. i know the tree won't die going from zone 9 to 6 in the summer, but i really need to minimize the space my plants are going to take up in my car on moving day! therefore, i was thinking about pruning severely and repotting into a small pot just for moving purposes.

any thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here