Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs

Posted by maggyby zone 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:09

Does anyone know what these are. There seem to be a lot of then on my burning bush and sometimes I see them on my citrus trees. Thanks .Maggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs

I can't see any bugs, Maggy. Can you get a closer photo?

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patti. I will try.

o

Japanese beetles.

o

You are right Al. Japanese beetles . They seem to be everywhere. Will they harm my citrus trees Patty or Al ? I imagine I need to get rid of them. Thanks for responding . Maggy

o

First, Rhizo's name is not "Al" :-) But, they will eat just about anything in their path. They're pretty horrid (non-native) beetles. Fortunately, we do not have them (yet) in California, but they were terrible in Indiana, when I lived there. I'd cover your citrus trees just to be safe.

Patty S.

o

My apologies to Rhizo.. My mistake. Thank you Patty. I was just doing some research and I see Ontario has an invasion of them right now. Is there a way to eliminate them ? Thanks. Maggy

o

Maggy here is my kishu mandarin , very happy as you are . Very green and I was wrong there are 2 branches , it is about 18 inches . There are leaves on the root stock , those will be coming off tomorrow . Going to send off a nice email to dave tonight . I can't believe how nice it is considering it was in a box for 5 days . The tree was very well protected . Going now to have a drink and toast it . I hope you had a great afternoon and don't burn the hamburg.

Brian

o

Hi Brian. What a fine looking tree. I am so glad you are happy with it. Dave has some great plants and he is such a nice man. He will appreciate hearing from you. I sent him a nice note. So " cheers" to our new trees.
After a few drinks our hamburgers have become toasted fresh tomato and bacon sandwich's and fresh corn on the cob. Hamburgers tomorrow night.
My greenhouse is coming at 8am. Enjoy your evening. Maggy
PS. My husband thinks we are weird toasting a tree.

o

Thanks Maggy I am glad you posted again I was not sure if this was your post at first then I said to myself how many maggyby are out there . It was the different zones that made me a little unsure . Your husband probably finds having one toast weird , tell him I had many multiple toasts for my tree . Big day tomorrow very happy for you . Take lots of pictures please . By the way the prime rib turned out delicious . I can't believe when I read you message I was drooling for your toasted bacon and tomato , that's probably my second most favorite thing . I cannot eat a tomatoe sandwich without bacon. Well good luck tomorrow morning guys .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, funny about the zone as I didn't change it .but depends on where you look .windsor is 6b or 7a .
Glad you enjoyed your prime rib. You likely saw that we have Japanese beetles. They are eating everything. Only worse I had two nicely developing oranges on my Washington orange tree. Tonight one was lying on the ground with teeth marks in it. Some critter tore it off the tree. I saw a rabbit in the front yard earlier or it could have been the squirrels. The greenhouse will be here at 8am. Should be interesting getting it in my back yard ,over the fence.
Can't wait. Have a good night.Maggy

o

Don't worry Maggy about getting the GH over the fence they are very light . I just want to give you a big Thankyou for all the effort you put into finding my Kishu . I am very happy I would say my collection is pretty well complete . You see what happens when you toast to many times , spelling tomato becomes very difficult . Did I here you say rabbit stew? Have a great night

Brian

o

smart weed is by far the tastiest plant for Japanese beetle. They will swarm it and leave every thing else alone. Spray the smart weed with an insecticide and also shake the plant free of it beetle in to a bucket with some water so the plants is not overwhelmed. It was my cure and has worked for me for the last 42 years.

Steve

o

Here is the new winter home for my citrus.

o

Beautiful Maggy . Looks just like mine . I can already smell the margarita's . Make sure you take good care of your lime tree .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, I am excited. Will have to "toast" some more tonight. After toasting last night we were playing cribbage and I kept counting wrong. Yes margaritas sound wonderful with fresh limes. The man I bought it from was so kind to deliver it set it up and fasten it to the insulated floor( much to my husband's relief) .
Brian I am very happy you got your Kishu and I am glad you like it. Now I have to decide what to add to my collection.
Steve I will have to see what smart weed is. My sandcherry tree is just about destroyed.
Have a great day. Maggy

o

Wow Maggy you have a gorgeous front yard . You really lucked out with that purchase and installed amazing , what a nice man . Maggy here is a list of my collection that I have to place in my greenhouse in the fall . Kishu , tango , minneola , blood orange , page mandarin , Shasta gold , Washington navel , Valencia , meyer lemon 2 , Bearrs lime , satsuma mandarin , Murcott mandarin , key lime , variegated lemon and not to forget a huge sago palm , Phoenix roebelenii palm 8ft tall . Imagine all these trees inside a greenhouse your size . I think my collection has been completed now that I have my Kishu , very happy . Very pleased with the tree and highly recommend Sage Garden in Winnipeg Manitoba . Maggy I have not seen those bugs in my garden YET thank goodness . Sounds like it might be a big problem . Just kick them all into the backyard lol. Have a great afternoon . It's all cloudy here a good day to work in the garden.

Brian

o

Oh Maggy forgot one my Clemenules one of my favorite . See what happens when you have to many . Off to repot my Kishu now . There is no way I could sit in the GH and have a margarita , jealous you will be able to .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, it is actually our back yard . We always say when we look outside we feel like we are at a cottage. It is lush and green and private.You have quite a list. Wow! What is your favourite? What is a clemenules. I have not heard of it.
We are sitting in the backyard now having caesars. The puppies are enjoying it outside. Have a great day. Maggy

o

Maggy your sure it's not your front , was just joking because you mentioned you were going to place it in your front yard . Your backyard is beautiful you do not need a cottage when you have that . Caesars you just gave me a great idea . The sun is back out looks like it might be a nice day . My pup hates it when it is hot and sunny , but better sun than thunderstorms . Clemenules is a clementine widely grown in California . Said to be the best , sweet like candy . Similar to Kishu but larger .

Nice to see you guys relaxing , you have had a couple of big weeks . Enjoy the afternoon .

Brian

o

Brian, I should have known your were teasing me about the front yard. Do you have anything in your greenhouse right now? Mine looks lonely out there by itself. But I am surprised that is is getting lots of sun since the last few hours. The Clemenules sounds so interesting. Where ever did you find it ? I would love to have one of those.
The Caesars were sooooooo good. Yes we have had some stress re the flood. Last week the adjuster was on vacation. This week the restoration guy is on vacation so nothing has been done except the cleanup. It is a long process.
You are so lucky you don't have these bugs. I also have some critter that is stealing my peppers and fruit off my orange tree. Not sure but
I Suspect the squirrels. Two years ago we went away for the week end and they stole every tomato off our plants..
Did you get you baby planted.? I am going to do mine tomorrow.i found some neat plant caddy's on wheels at Princess auto for $ 9.99 each. Great for moving the plants about in the greenhouse. I was so lucky to find such a nice man and his wife who not only transported the greenhouse across town on a trailer but also assembled it on the insulated floor. Amazing. Have a great day Enjoy . Maggy

o

Time to come in from the sun . Maggy we have absolutely no shade in the backyard . I think that is why my trees do really well . If the temperature is 80 it is 90 in our backyard. Maggy I grow all my tomato's and green peppers in the greenhouse in the summer . They really do well in the heat and you do not get unwanted critters eating them , it really is the way to go . You also get your tomato's and green peppers a lot earlier . I bought my clemenules at Richmond nursery about 4 years ago , they used to carry a lot of grafted citrus . My clemenules as very big now and I did get lots of fruit last year . This year it is slower I am sure do to the weather and it is just now flowering . I did see clemenules at home depot this spring with the rest of their citrus , so check out home depot in Toronto when you guys go . I can't decide what to have for supper so I guess hamburgers , that is what I usually have when I can't decide . Hope you are relaxing .

Brian

o

Maggy this is a picture of my clemenules on the left hand side and my murcott on the right .

Brian

o

Brian. You have a lovely yard. What beautiful trees. I will check out home-depot in Toronto ,although it may be late in the season now. But you never know. Do you start your tomato's and peppers in the winter in the house? Do you have them in there now? Are you saying I could put the one's in pots in there now? I see the greenhouse had about 6 hrs of sun today. It sure was hot in there with the vents and door open. Oh! If my trees can only look half as nice as yours. Imagine citrus trees like that in our climate. Thanks for sharing. I love your pictures. We are having hamburgers tonight. Maggy

o

Hi guys..I haven't forgotten you..

I just wanted to stop by and let you know I neevr got to go away..On my first day of vacation yesterday I spent the day at the Hospital with my mother..

I had to rush her there and she is still in there..Will have surgery on Monday..Thank goodness I will be around..

Her Gallbladder is coming out and possible stones in your bile duct and or pancreas..

Patty, if you see this I hope you comment on how people recover from this and if that is something to worry about..You do have a way with helping others in things other than citrus)

I'll be back and will read this thread over Maggy..Hello Brian..

MIke

o

Mike, I just read your message. I am so sorry to hear that your Mom is in the hospital. I know this must be stressful for you . I am sure Patty will answer you .in the meantime ,if it is helpful to you I was a registered nurse for my entire life it seems. The gallbladder surgery these days is so much simpler than it used to be. They do it through a couple of very tiny incisions in the abdomen and the recovery is much quicker and easier with a very short hospital stay. If there are stones in the bile duct sometimes they use ultra sound to dissolve them . I am sure she is in good hands Mike. A prayer for you and your Mom. Thinking of you. Maggy

o

Mike my prayers and thoughts are with you and your mom and Maggy is right she is in good hands . Doctor's do miracles today . Maggy I knew there was something very special about you it takes a very kind and caring person to have done what you have done all your life . It has really shown here on the forum your always trying to help and you are extremely kind , it is always a pleasure talking to you . That goes with Mike , always there for you when he's asked and very kind and friendly . Sure is nice to know people like you guys.

Maggy I would love to start my vegetables in the greenhouse but there is absolutely no room in there and it is getting worse I keep buying and they keep growing . It sounds like a good idea to put some of your peppers and tomato's in there now if you get 6hrs of sun . I would also close the door half way to keep some of the heat in there . They really respond to heat and there will be no critters munching on them. I repotted the Kishu and it looks fantastic and I kept it in the full sun , no problems very green .

Have a nice night everybody and Mike try to get some sleep tonight everything will work out good .

Brian

o

Brian, You have a very kind heart and I know your support and reassurance will mean a lot to Mike. It has been such a pleasure to communicate with both of you. Thank you Brian for your kind words .And Mike my prayers are also with you and your Mom. I am confident that she will receive excellent medical care . Hope you are doing o.k. I sent you some medical information to your email that I hope will be helpful.
Brian I put my peppers and tomato's in the greenhouse today. I imagine I need to get a fan set up in there soon. I left the vents open for the night and the door closed.
Have a good night . Maggy

o

Hi Brian, I planted my Kishu and Kaffir lime this morning. I was surprised by the developed root system they had. They should do well.
You were so right about the other half getting upset. My husband was complaining this morning that I am ignoring him and spend too much time with my trees. Guess I will have to make sure he is not neglected. I will have to play with my trees while be is at work during the week It is very hot and muggy here now.Maggy

o

Good morning Maggy . We had a good soaking this morning and the air is as thick as peanut butter . If the sun comes out it will get very hot and humid . Great that you repotted your babies . Maggy aren't they healthy looking , they do have an amazing root system and the roots were so white and healthy looking . It must be nice to know Maggy that there will no more critters robbing you blind of all your hard work and you will see that your tomatoes and peppers will look perfect no blemishes and they will have that perfect shape . Maggy it is very funny how grown adults can get jealous and feel neglected from just a few plants I did say few right . They need to find a hobby and eating food is not a hobby . We are lucky to have this as a hobby it's not that expensive it's very rewarding and it keeps us out of trouble . Maggy here is a picture of my kishu this morning , loving the rain .

o

Maggy here is a picture of my GH raised 18 inches , that's the reason my trees are so tall . Have a nice afternoon Maggy.

Mike I hope everything went OK last night . Take care buddy.

Brian

o

Good morning Brian, Your Kishu looks really good. Here is a picture of mine planted . They are nice trees. You green house looks a lot like mine. I imagine having it raised keeps the plants from being on the cold ground. A good idea. I am going to contact someone I know who is an electrician and see if he will install a separate plug on the side of the house so I won't have to worry about it.
Yes it is funny about people getting jealous over a few trees. .My husband is a really nice man and I wasn't expecting him to have an objections. It is a great hobby but not everyone feels so passionate about it so we can understand that. I just get so excited.
I had an email from Mike. He is doing o.k. What a nice guy.
Maggy

o

Whoops

o

Here are the tomato's and peppers playing in the sun. Maggy

o

Fantastic job Maggy , are you sure your not a pro or master gardener ? I am sure we could learn a few things from you. Your mix looks fantastic , is that your5-1-1 mix . Your tomatoes look so tall , they will be happy in there . We raised the greenhouse also because we get a lot of snow here in the winter and when it all melts in 2 days you can imagine all the water . Our floor is a couple of skids with plywood over them . You can imagine trying to lift those plants in and out with the height of the greenhouse . So when they come out they stay out no matter frost or hailstorms I have no choice . I am glad you were talking to Mike and everything is OK good news. Jealous of your sunshine , last day of my holidays and we have rain. Wonderful.
Enjoy your sunshine Maggy .

Brian

o

My husband always says my plants look like they are on steroids. I am by no means a master Gardner. I prepare the soil with compost that I buy from the city called black gold, add a bit of decomposed sheep manure and a bit of bone meal a few weeks before planting .I fertilize with fish meal and kelp every few weeks. I like to use organic if possible. The plants seem happy .
Yes that is the 5-1 -1 mix. I really like it and the citrus seem to as well. I still haven't repotted the Meyer,lime or Washington orange as they were repotted by the nursery when I bought them . But I think they are not happy in the nursery mix. Either they are too wet or two dry .
Building the raised floor of your greenhouse is a good idea. Lifting those plants must be brutal.. When do you put them outside.? We are going to Portugal for three weeks in May but I might have to leave them in the greenhouse as we may still get frost. I would hate to lose them.
Our day started out with rain but became muggy and hot . We are not looking forward to the cooler weather later this week.
Brian I can imagine going back to work tomorrow will be difficult. Hope you had a nice vacation. It goes by quickly,doesn't it ? Enjoy your evening.
Mike keep us up to date and hope all is well. Maggy

o

Maggy you do have beautiful plants . Mike and yourself are lucky that you have someone who can take care of your babies. I usually take the plants out on the long weekend in May . This year May 08 the earliest . I really watch the long range forecast and there was no frost in the forecast , they got it right but did I ever take a chance . Well back to the routine tomorrow :-( . I will have to wait until the middle of August for my next one , then I will take a few days in September to bring plants inside GH . Tremendous job . I will be thinking of you tomorrow playing in the garden while I am at work :-( . Maggy it is very hot and humid right now , choking . Have a great day tomorrow Maggy and you to Mike .

o

Hi Brian, I don't actually have someone to take care of my plants for 3 weeks . I have a problem in the greenhouse already. Earwigs have taken up residence,not on the inside,not on the outside but inside the panels,which have little holes . I don't want to take off the panels to try and get them out .
They are ugly things. Any suggestions ? The Japanese beetles in the front yard do not seem to be bothering the citrus. They seem to like the sand cherry and burning bush.
Sorry you have to go back to work tomorrow Brian. Someday you will be able to retire and you have that to look forward to in the future.
Oh! I hate those creepy earwigs living in my greenhouse walls. Have a good night and you too Mike .Maggy

o

Maggy earwigs gross . They might have come in with your plants . Wait until you see all the spiders you end up with in there . Do you remember there was an old tv series in the early 70 's I think it was Night Gallery and they did a episode on earwigs , let me tell you I still check my pillow at night making sure there isn't one on there . Have a great night . You have been a great friend while I have been on holidays .

Brian

o

Brian, earwigs make the hair stand up on my neck. I think I will have to take the panels out get them rid of them. I read I can tape the panel edges with foil HVAC tape to seal it.
Spiders .Lord have mercy! I am scared of spiders. Don't tell me they will live in the greenhouse No way I am going in there with spiders. Do they bother the plants ?.I am not familiar with the night Gallery series. It's a good thing.
I have enjoyed chatting with you too Brian. It has been a pleasure. Good luck on your return to work tomorrow
Take care. Maggy

o

Mike. Just to let you know I am thinking of you and your Mom today. Hope all goes well .Prayers .Maggy

o

Maggy how was your day in the garden ? Missed mine. Was a beautiful sunny day here but now looks and smells like rain . Maggy wait until you come face to face with a spider happens everytime when I water in the fall , they kind of disappear in the winter . Just make sure you wash your plants really good before you bring them in . Very funny your not going to go in there , send your husband in there first and wait for the OK . They don't do any harm to the plants not to sure about earwigs . I don't think there is going to be any way of stopping them , they are going to come in through the door and your venting window at the top . We are just lucky snakes aren't to common . Have a nice night Maggy.

Howdy Mike thinking of you . Keep us informed .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, How was your first day back at work ? Bet it was difficult to go back. My husband didn't want to go back after just a week- end off. It started out raining here and then turned into a beautiful sunny day. My lime tree is getting so big I may have to cut it in the fall so it will fit in the greenhouse. Unbelievable. A couple of years ago I planted some kaffir lime seeds. They were in one pot and of course they will not bloom. So today I repotted them.That is why I bought the grafted one from Dave but here are the ones from seed.
The tomato's and peppers do like the greenhouse. They seem to be thriving. I may put them outside when we go away for 5 days so they won't bake while we are gone. The squirrels are stealing my flavourino tomato's from the garden. My husband will put some chicken wire around them tonight.
I did see a spider in there this morning . I suppose I will get used to them. The earwigs just hang out inside the panels so they don's seem to be inside. If we had snakes that would be it for me. I have a few frogs in my little pond and sometimes they hide out in my pots. Nothing like the ones that Mike has.
Well it's BBQ steak tonight. With fresh new potato's and Italian flat green beans. Have a great night .Hope we get an update from Mike. Maggy

o

WOW double WOW Maggy beautiful . This is really the first time I have seen your Kaffir lime from Dave's very nice . The other picture of it didn't show it as well .Your seedlings look very nice to congratulations. You will see Maggy that you will have to cut them right back just to fit them in the greenhouse . Maggy I am so tired it is hard to get back into the swinge of things and it didnt help that it was so beautiful outside today. Your supper sounds so delicious , my mouth is watering . Frozen pizza for us tonight , to tired to cook . Maggy just leave the greenhouse door wide open when you go away that way they won't cook . If you have the plates for the pots that are in the greenhouse fill them with water and that should get you through the 5 days . Enjoy that beautiful supper and have a nice night .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, I am sure you are tired. It takes a few days to adjust after vacation. We sat outside and had a few drinks . It is very calm but humid. My husband made a wire cage for my tomato plant so hope it keeps the squirrels out. They swiped most of the tomato's off it today. I had to stop putting food in the bird feeder because.they would eat all the food.
Here is my lime tree. By Sept it will be even bigger.
Cooking dinner now. Enjoy your evening .Maggy

o

What a beautiful lime tree Maggy. Is it a bearss lime ? Your right I think by next year it will need a little trim to get it back into the greenhouse . It looks like it will be a major margarita producer. I would have loved to have had a couple drinks tonight but I would of ended up on the floor , for the night. I am glad you guys are relaxing life is sweet isn't it . I can smell your steak from here and it smells really good . Enjoy

Brian

o

Brian, I never dreamed I would get this involved in growing citrus trees . I am so glad I did because it is a great and relaxing hobby. It is a Persian lime which I believe is the same as a bearss lime.? Thanks to you and Mike and others here I have had a lot of help. Having the greenhouse is great but it felt a bit intimidating at first but I know I will enjoy it. Life is sweet when you strive to enjoy the simple things .Nature has always been where I find peace and joy. Watching things grow is so amazing.
Have a restful night. Tomorrow will be easier. Maggy

o

Hi Maggy . You were right felt much better today . Don't worry about the greenhouse it's a piece of cake. You will do fine I bet you will end up giving us a few pointers . Dull day here , great weekend coming up sunny and 80 degrees . Look out cottage here we come . Going up to the lake Friday night . Maggy did you ever think of taking up writing as a hobby ? You really should you are so well spoken . Hope it was a nice relaxing day for you and I hope they started work on the basement again. Here is a picture of my navel , their is fruit growing at all kinds of stages . Have a great night .

Brian

o

Hey Maggy and Brian...Thank you for your thoughtfulness and kind words...Thank you.

Today was a good day for me...It was my favorite citrus weather! Very warm, tropical, humid, very humid, and 3 thunderstorms toady with 5 inches of rain..Now it smells so nice outside since I live next to a forest..It smells earthy and of pine..Every flower on my citrus trees send a fragrance throughout my yard that permeates through the air...The frogs are croaking and I can see fog through the trees just fueling more storms..
The citrus trees and all my tropicals are reacting greatly to this weather especially in the 5.1.1 mix..I feel some are not going to do so good in the peaty mixes..Darn it, I should of transplanted earlier while I had a chance.

Then, most of all, my Mom did ok with her surgery..! It was her pancreas and other things we were worried about but the Doctor said to relax and that she would be ok..Thanks again for your thoughts!

Brian, I see what you did with your greenhouse..That is the best idea I've seen yet..I wish I would of thought of that!
How did you put those pieces of wood together to be stable for the house? What did you use? Did you secure the greenhouse to the wood and how? I love it! I need to do that..

Yes spiders are common, but you get so use to going in there that you don't even notice anymore..Besides, the more spiders the better since they will kill anything that could harm your trees, including earwigs..I have yet to see a spider although I do see webs in the corners..

You know, you guys should hatch some preying mantis in there..I did and I still get a couple of adults here and there eating bugs...

Maggy, I love your tree and Brian , nice catch on that Fikishu! Nice. I have two of them and they are my favorite..I never tried a Clemenules...Yours is HUGE Brian..Now I want one..Beautiful.

It's very muggy tonight and I love it! I have to get going though because I have to get my father up at 4 a.m. for is flight to Puerto Rico..He will stay there for a few weeks and enjoy my favorite weather 24 hours a day..Now if you want to see citrus trees, you have not lived yet until you see my yard down there..lol

I wish I had enough energy to stay up longer, since it is so nice chatting with the both of you, and I say that because no one else seems to be interested...lol

Have a wonderful night..All that talk of food made me almost too hungry to go to bed..

By the way..Off subject..Have any one you got Comcast or HBO? Let me know.I'll recommend a great series for you..I never watch T.V, but boy o boy..lol

Maggy, I meant to tell you that my Mom thanks you dearly for the info and the both of you for thinking of her))

Mike

o

Hi Brian, I am glad today was easier at work. It was a beautiful day here but going down to 50 degrees tonight. What a nice picture . You tree is beautiful. Isn't it so satisfying to see it producing all the fruit . I am anxious for mine to reach that stage but am enjoying them along the way.
It is great that you guys are going to the cottage on the week- end. It will be like being on vacation again. And something to look forward to.
Sat. is my birthday so we may go out but I enjoy a quiet evening at home just as well. Next week end we are going to Toronto. We will visit my son for a couple of days and go citrus tree shopping. It will be difficult to decide what to buy and depends on what I can find. Then we are going to St. Catharines for 3 days to visit my husband's daughter who lives on a vineyard with her husband and two children. So it will be nice to see everyone and spend time with them.
I am loving the greenhouse already and I think it will be a great learning experience.
Have you heard from Mike? Hope his Mom is o.k.
Thank you for your kind words Brian.
Take care. Maggy

o

There you are Mike. You sound so much better and sounds like you really enjoyed your day. Good for you. When you speak of your trees I can hear the passion you have and I can almost smell the blossoms and hear the frogs croaking. You paint a very vivid picture . How joyful .
I am so glad to hear your Mom's surgery went well and I am sure you are relieved and can relax a little now.
Do you have any pictures of your citrus in Puerto Rico? They sound beautiful.
I have HBO Mike so would love to know what series you recommend.
So good to have you back Mike.
Warmest wishes to you and your Mom. Maggy

o

Mike I am so thrilled to hear your mom is OK . I hope you are getting lots of r and r . You are right after a heavy rain everything smells so nice especially citrus blossoms . Mike the beams are just resting on each other. The greenhouse is screwed down tightly to the beam. This way I get an extra 18 inches height . We might have to add an extra beam this year because my Palm will not fit in there anymore . Now clemenules is a beautiful tree but I will warn you Mike if you ever buy one and you get scale in it oh my be prepared to do alot of work trying to get rid of them , there are so many tiny leaves. On my holidays I spent over 3 hrs on mine trying to get rid of the scale. I would truly stay away from any citrus with smaller leaves if you already have a scale problem. Take care Mike and try to enjoy the rest of your vacation .

Maggy how are you liking this fall weather . I bet you were out there this morning handing out hot chocolate to all your plants . You must be very excited about becoming 1 year older . That's how we celebrate birthdays at are age by doing nothing , not like when we were young. You must be getting very excited for next weekend's big citrus shopping spree and of course family . Sound's like lots of fun. By the look of things we are in for a heat wave next week , now watch our tree's grow. Have a nice night Maggy .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, yes my vegs in the greenhouse were cuddled up together this morning trying to keep warm. It has been chilly . The citrus look happy though. We are fighting a losing battle with the squirrels . Yesterday they took most of the tomato's off 16 plants I had in a raised garden. My husband put a wire fence around it last night. The back yard looks like Fort Knox. Well fortified. They have already swiped a orange off my tree so it might be challenging to keep them at bay.
Getting another year older isn't that exciting but yes I remember the days when I would have loved a good party LOL! But now I just love quieter times.
The extra depth of your greenhouse sounds like it really helps. I am going to have to keep mine trimmed .
The shopping trip next week- end will be fun.I do not know what kind of tree (s) to get. I was thinking of looking for the clemenules but not crazy about getting scale. I had scale on the kaffir lime cuttings and I battled them for a long time..I have 7 all ready and with the three cuttings that makes 10. So much for limiting my self.
Mike I also hope you are relaxing and enjoying your vacation. I bet you are playing with your trees. Have a nice night both of you. Maggy

o

Maggie hello . I hope I did not scare you off from purchasing a Clemnules . It is just that I had a major scale out break that almost killed my tree. It is an on going battle with the scales on that tree but slowly they are becoming few and far between . I spent many hours cleaning that tree when I was on holidays . It was another tree that gave my clemenules the scale . There was just so many tiny leaves , for now on I am going to try to stay away from citrus with smaller leaves . The picture I showed of my clemenules above was taken last year . Today my clemenules is making a rapid come back , full of new growth and flowers . My clemnules is a very beautiful and productive tree .Here is a picture of it taken 10 minutes ago .
I Your right Maggy I used to be able to party to sunrise now i am lucky if I can make it to sunset . I find as I get older all I want to do is stay home and relax and watch a good movie and let's not forget my other hobby eating .

They are starting to change the forcast for the weekend , instead of sunshine there might be rain drops . Wonderful.

Maggy have a great night.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, your tree is so beautiful. I love it. I had scale on some of my indoor plants and they are hard to get rid of for sure. Have you every used neem oil.? I have some but haven't used it. I read somewhere that you should treat the trees with it two weeks before bringing inside.
What a beautiful sunny morning. I was outside at 6.30 this am to feed my plants. They really like the dyna gro,foilage pro but I am always confused as whether or not to water them first and then feed the dyna gro solution. Or just give the dyna gro.
The tomato's in the greenhouse are getting ripe and are doing well.
You made me laugh Brian. I can identify with barely making it to sunset. And tv and eating are two of our favourite hobbies. So funny.
I hope you get some sunshine while you are at the cottage. Looks like we are going to have a nice week- end. Have a great time and enjoy. Maggy

o

Happy birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday to you . Happy birthday Maggy. Beautiful day here . Hoping it is a beautiful day in Windsor . Have a bloody caesar for me today make that two you are old enough right? Are you having prim rib for Supper? Maggy I do not use dyna grow so I don't know . I do know on fertilizer packages they usually say to water first then fertilize then water again . I use MG fertilizer and I sprinkle a little on the soil then water , haven't had a problem yet.

Maggy did you already blow out the candles on your birthday cake ? There is a lot of smoke in the air around here , the sky is very milky looking.

Have a great birthday Maggy .

Brian

o

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . You make me laugh Brian. Thank you so much for the birthday greeting. You are very thoughtful. I appreciate that. So far it has rained most of the day but I think the sun is coming out. I went "hooking" this morning so that was fun. I plan to have some Caesars later. Too early to drink yet . We are having Thai food later and some seafood appetizers. My husband is out getting my lemon cake. So that smoke you see must be something else.
Thanks for the info about watering. I bought a little folding truck dolly to move the plants in and out of the greenhouse. It is so cute.
I called plant world In Toronto and they have a lot of citrus. Lots of different Mandarins. I likely will come home with more trees. I made a mistake as we are going Aug 2nd. Not next week- end. Just wishful thinking.
You have a great relaxing week- end with your wife .I hope the weather continues to be beautiful for you. Enjoy and thanks again for the birthday wishes. Going to party now. Maggy

o

** "I called plant world In Toronto and they have a lot of citrus" **

You citrus'ers are so lucky. There have been no citrus in Cincinnati for 2 months and at that, only Meyer lemon, key lime, and satsuma of unknown variety. ooooooh aaaaaah I was impressed.

Steve

o

Steve, we actually can rarely find citrus here in Windsor . Toronto is a 4 hr. Drive from here but there are many options there. I did have a Kishu and Kaffir lime shipped from Winnipeg ,Manitoba. Now that I have a greenhouse I am trying to find new trees but soon space will be an issue. .Have a nice evening. Maggy

o

A 4 hour drive takes me to Knoxville, Nashville, Cleveland, Akron, Detroit, Chicago, Terre Haute, Toledo, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Charleston, Indianapolis, Portsmouth, Dayton, And of course good oll Cincinnati. I might be able to find a citrus tree. Or I could go up to near Lancaster PA to the

Shady Maple Farm Market
1324 Main Street
East Earl, PA, 17519

And buy some Sweetlee tangerines to eat and harvest the seed and grow something that looks like

Steve

o

Maggy I hope that you had a great birthday . Good news the smoke has lifted , coincidence maybe lol. That trip to plant world sounds pretty exciting . Have you ever thought about purchasing a minneola tangelo , they have beautiful foliage and fruit . The only plants still on my bucket list are the gold nugget mandarin and the sumo mandarin , one day maybe if one of my existing trees die . Absolutely no more room in the greenhouse . I use a moving dolly to move around my heavy trees , really comes in handy . I am just excited about August as you are , holidays in the middle of the month. Hot week coming up the trees I am sure are going to put out new growth . My blood orange is putting out a strong second flush , hopefully I will get some flowers from this one . I guess they are going to start work on your basement again .You must really miss it. Gloomy day here going to the basement to watch a movie . Have a fantastic night Maggy

Steve your sweet lee is beautiful . Very healthy looking. Steve you have so much more access to citrus then we have . You can order from many citrus mail order suppliers . Up here in Canada we are jealous that you guys have so much more access and different varieties of citrus then us.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, I am glad the weather co-operated for your week- end..Awesome.
I had a lovely day yesterday. Very low key but pleasant . It was very relaxing .of course my favourite part was eating and having a few drinks .no cooking .
My husband went to the market yesterday and came home with two bushels of pickling cucumbers. I am preparing to make dills and bread and butter pickles. In a few weeks I will be preserving tomato's. I make salsa,chopped tomato's ,roasted tomato sauce etc. every year.
The greenhouse is full of plants now,the peppers and tomato plants love it.
I had never thought of buying a minneola tangelo but if I see one I will . It sounds interesting. The plants from Dave are doing really well.
You must be looking forward to more vacation in Aug. the trees will love the hot weather.
Before winter I must find out what kind of heater you got from Costco. When you put your bubble wrap inside do you put the bubbles facing in or out? Do you take down the bubble wrap in summer?
We are getting a new plug installed outside to accommodate the heater and fan for the greenhouse.The guy was here yesterday and will come back mid week to do it.
We really miss the family room downstairs . It is very comfortable. Hope they return soon to do the work..
Steve your tree is very nice. .Brian is right you ,you do have a lot more access to citrus trees than we do here in Canada.
Well have a nice evening. Maggy.

o

I have a friend that just bought a farm within 3 hours of Plantfolks citrus suppliers. A quick drive to pick up my Meiwa trees on poncirus might not be that far off. I might sound strange but I can not bring my self to buy a tree over the mail. I would like to pick up my own. Thanks Brian and Maggy for the compliments.

o

Maggy and Brian...Been thinking you of)

Thank you for all your concern, I really appreciated that.
My Mom is home now but still not well. She just had to have 2 teeth removed too because it just started aching her badly..She is still weak...

Did get to take a few hours and drive to the beach in my convertable...It was awesome until the fog rolled in at 6pm and the temp dropped to 64 degrees! I never saw it that cold for July before..Just wacky weather.

Beautful trees you all have..I love them very much..

Brian, WOW and thanks for your input...You need to get that pool cover if you can..I need to raise my greenhouse if I knew how..Was it easy?

MIke

o

Hi Mike. Glad to hear your Mom is at home.. She will be weak for awhile but she will get stronger . . Glad to hear you are getting some relaxation. Sounds like your weather is still cool. We had 86 degrees today and tomorrow will be 90. The trees seem to love the heat. I spent all day making and canning dill pickles. 36 jars to be exact. Brian do you think that should be enough for the Caesars this winter ? . Still trying to get the outside electricity sorted for the greenhouse. Can't decide whether to use bubble wrap or solar blanket for insulation.
Tonight I spent sometime playing with my trees. They are growing and I do so enjoy them. I can't wait to see what I can find in Toronto next week- end. I am going to need a bigger greenhouse . Have a good night. Maggy

o

Mike I am so glad to hear that your Mom is getting better . There is probably nothing worse then a toothache . I am frequent visitor to my dentist office and it is always a filling here and a filling there . There is so much maintenance as we get older . So much for looking forward to the golden years . I hope you are enjoying your holidays . The weather here as been up and down like crazy , one day it is 90 degrees like today and we will be lucky to hit 70 tomorrow . Big storms through the night tonight , I guess I am sleeping in the basement tonight . I am glad you got to play around in your convertible , it is such a free feeling with the roof off . Last fall we bought a new SUV with a panoramic sun roof , the sun roof is huge almost like driving a convertible . It's so nice to feel the sun and wind on your face . Mike I would love to try the pool cover but I won't be able to get around to the side that is beside the fence . The greenhouse is probably less then 2 inches away from the fence . We didn't think it through when we placed the GH . It is almost impossible even to remove the snow on that side of the GH . Mike the wood beams is easy to do , but the wood was expensive , it cost me almost $ 300 but well worth it . The beams are 8 ft long and 6 inches high . My GH is 18 inches off the ground , makes a big difference in the size the trees can grow , but lifting them in and out is a real treat .After you place your beams in a square get somebody to help you lift the GH and place it on top of the beams and screw the GH to the beams .Then use some caulking and go all around the GH where it meets the beam.It's very easy Mike , we will probably have to buy 4 more beams and raise it again , my palm tree is getting way to big . Mike I hope you enjoy the rest of your holidays , take care buddy .

Maggy did you say caesars? Now I feel like one and I have to go to bed soon , oh darn this work thing , come on August . Maggy the heater was a Delonghi I think that is the spelling . It works fantastic . I have used the same heater for 5 winters . It swivels back and forth , has a thermostat and a remote to set the temperature . It wasn't to expensive , I believe under $ 60 . Heard from Dave last week . What a nice man , I would definitely purchase from him again in the future . Maggy super hot here today and tomorrow very cool and August is beginning to look like it is going to be very cool. It sounds like your tomatoes and peppers are loving the GH . You won't believe how fast they will grow in there . Did you get rid of all your friends (earwigs) ? Don't kill the spiders Maggy , they are very useful and they won't bother you. Your big weekend is coming up , have you made any decisions ? I would not go grapefruit they need a tremendous amount of heat and up here we just don't get that. That's going to be a lot of pickles do you make the sweet ones to? Were do you find all the time , you must be worn out by the end of the day . It sounds like you have a lot of hobbys , well you will never get into any trouble you don't have the time to . Enjoy your night Maggy

Brian

o

Hi Brian, thanks for the info on the heater. It seems Costco doesn't have it anymore. Perhaps I can find one somewhere else.. I definitely want one that has a thermometer that I can set for a specific temperature.
Yes, Dave is a very nice man. He is originally from Nova Scotia. I have bought some nice plants from him over the last 10-12 years and have been pleased with everything.
Yes I ended up making 47 jars of dill pickles.. I usually supply my friends and family with gifts of my homemade concoctions. I can asparagus in May and often make jams .this week- end I will pickle yellow beans with a little hot pepper very nice in the Caesar as well. .August. I will do diced tomato's,salsa,various tomato sauces.and make a really good roasted sauce with tomato's ,garlic and red peppers .it is my favourite.
It is cloudy and windy today but muggy. The wind blew my lime tree over. No damage though. The insects seem to love the Meyer lemon blossoms. So it is a battle keeping them away.
Today I designated to rug hooking so that is what I have been doing since this morning. Had to take a break as my neck is getting stiff. My puppy thinks he is helping me by sitting on my lap. He is constantly stealing my scissors and hook.
Work is going to start on our basement again. Friday we are going to pick out floor tiles.
Mike hope you are still enjoying your time off and that your Mom is recovering well. How are your trees doing in the cooler weather? Would be nice if you could raise your greenhouse like Brian did his. Sounds like it creates a lot more height.
I am thinking of buying a couple of mandarin trees in Toronto. Maybe Page Mandarin,or Satsuma . I have gold nugget,and Clemenules on my wish list.
Have a nice evening. Maggy

o

Maggy hello . I will watch for heaters when we go to costco . We almost live there. No wonder you were getting so frustrated with the critters in your garden , you don't waste a thing , good for you. We only grow tomatoes and green peppers and celery. The celery is for our budgies . Most of the tomatoes end up on the ground next year's compost but I Love the green peppers I can eat those like an apple . Speaking of apples are apple tree is coated it is one of those 5 in 1 varieties . Lots of plums this year also . The plum tree is growing so fast it is starting to cover my greenhouse . When I find the energy I will cut it back . We have been eating ice cream with fresh raspberries out of are garden . Maggy the raspberries are delicious this year and producing like crazy. You should have seen the light show this morning at 4.30 when I got up to go to work. Mike would have loved it . Here we had no rain but lots of lightning just to the south of us . Right now it is very cool might have to pull out the sweaters for my trees tonight , it's going down to 50 tonight . Your choices for new trees are very nice , I to am very curious about the gold nugget . I have a page very pretty tree but definitely not my biggest producer . I also have a Satsuma , first couple of years it produced like crazy , now I am lucky if I get a couple of fruits on it . It's been that way for 3 years now but when I do get fruit wow are they delicious . My valencia is coated in ripe fruit maybe this weekend I will make fresh homemade orange juice. Glad they are going to start work on the basement . You probably are going to have to stay down there while there working to make sure they are doing a proper job . That's sad . Maggy have a fantastic night .

Mike have a great night . I hope you do not have to pull out the sweaters for your trees to . They are saying next week even colder :-( . I think your right Mike we are in for an early fall . Definitely not convertible weather .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, Thanks for checking on the heater. I am still waiting for the electrician to install the outside plug.
I didn't grow the cucumbers,my husband got them at the farmers market. We ran out of dills last winter but won't have a shortage this year. We only grow herbs,tomato's peppers and garlic. My dog Buddy loves green peppers and he will sneak in the greenhouse and steal them.
So you have apple and plum trees,lucky you. The raspberries sound yummy. Especially on ice cream.
Funny two nights ago I woke up and the lightening was so bright and steadily lit the sky for a couple of hours. It was weird.
You get up at 4.30 to go to work ! Wow! . That is early. Do you live far from your work? I am afraid I would be comatose at that hour.
Brian it is difficult to decide what trees to buy next. I guess it will also depend on what I can find in Toronto..
I think the restoration company is sending the flooring company to install our floor. We are going tomorrow night to pick out the tiles. They will only replace the value of what was there so we might upgrade to something else. We sure miss the family room. We spend a lot of time there ,especially in he winter. We had a gas fireplace installed and it is so cosy.
It is sunny here today but windy and cooler than it has been.next week it is supposed to warm up again. Soon it will be time to get the greenhouse ready for winter. I think we are going to try the bubble wrap this year. . Although Mike the solar cover sounds like it is a good idea. My husband thinks it would be too hard to keep it on. ( he is not handy) .don't tell him I said that!
Hope you are having a great day. I consider every day a good day if I wake up breathing. Maggy.

o

Hello Maggy what a gorgeous day here , it was a 10 out of 10 , the only way it would have been better is if I had been off . Maggy I think your selection for new trees is fantastic you will love them all. If you ask people what there favorite variety of citrus are all the trees you picked would be in the top 5 , you can't go wrong there. Yes Maggy I am pretty well comatose the whole afternoon then I start waking up in the evening just in time to go back to bed. I live not far from work about 20 minutes from downtown on a good traffic day .I get up at 4.30 to water my trees feed the pup feed our birds then i leave around 6.30 . It is hard to get up early but its nice getting back home early , miss all the heavy traffic .Back to the cottage tomorrow night for some R and R . Your right Maggy soon we will have a GH full of trees .Long range is pointing to a very early start to fall , hoping that falls through . Maggy the bubble wrap is tricky to . The sides are very easy to do but the top can be very challenging . Sometimes half way through the winter the bubble wrap starts to peel off the top do to all the humidity .. Water and packing tape don't mix very well . Looking forward to a nice spaghetti super with a nice glass of wine . I will be so happy for you when they finish your basement . I don't know what I would do if I lost my basement , it's my escape from the world . It will be done soon Maggy keep the faith . Have a restful evening Maggy .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, It is a beautiful day here too. My husband says the same thing . That it would be better if he was off. I admit I had a nap this afternoon with the puppies.
Sounds like you have a busy morning prior to going to work. But I can tell you enjoy that time to take care of your trees ,dog and birds. Did you tell me you wash your trees everyday?
I think the citrus I am thinking of buying are good choices. I did a lot of research ,especially on the citrus form ,finding out what is popular and with your suggestions of course. I found an article that lists the various types of citrus and their characteristics which was also helpful. I can hardly wait to go on our excursion . My husband is very good about these trips. When I started rug hooking he drove me all over Ontario to get supplies ,wool etc. We make a little adventure of it. He seems to like the greenhouse and the nice tomato's we are getting .
Brian ,do you use packing tape to hold up the bubble wrap? We are still looking into the solar cover as well .generally our winter's are quite mild but who knows ,we could get another brutal one like last year. I lost a lot of the perennials ,herbs that usually come up very year. My garlic are very small,likely due to the cold.
Your dinner sounds good. I had planned to make spaghetti but our freezer door accidentally was open last week- end and we lost all the meat,lobster tails ,roasts etc. I could have cried. I try not to think about it. An expensive loss indeed. We are getting spaghetti and veal Parmesan from the Italian restaurant maybe can add a bottle of red wine.i think we have some we brought back from Portugal downstairs,if I can find it.
It is nice you can go to the cottage and relax. Have a great time.
Maggy

o

Maggy....Thank you very much again for your concern..Mom is getting a bit better but very lonely and depressed..I'll have to work on that..Not to say that she had to have a tooth pulled yesterday besides that was killing her..
I hope her spirits get better, that is my concern..She use to knit slippers for others to give her a sense of joy, I hope she starts again.

Please, really look into the pool cover thingy...It' is much easier than you may think...The only challenge is to throw the whole thing over the house if you do it alone..After that, securing it is a sinch..Some where here I posted a pic of it secured, I can try to find it for you..Besides, it's thick..That's the key..It insulates better than bubble wrap.

Brian..How in the world did you lift that house to place it on those beams? That's my concern..How would I do that?
Thanks for your kndness and I must tell you that my weather is absolutely strange...Today feels like fall and yesterday, over 90 with hail and thunder..It's not a nice hot consistent summer this time around, after a frigid unbearable winter! If this pattern keeps up, we will get frost in August and frigid by October..A short growing season..Not good, while the west keeps their hot weather plus mine and burns to death in that drought...

By, does it sound like you have a beautiful yard full of goodies!!! Nice..

Gotta go guys, I am at work..BUt I must say it's nice to see at least people like you who like to socialize..Too bad there isn't more of us...lol

MIke

o

Maggy please tell me you didn't have to throw out prime rib roasts . What a shame all that delicious food . I think your way past 3 in the unlucky department . Toronto will fix that problem. Speaking of unlucky I just gave myself a haircut from hell , everytime I try to fix it gets worst . I am that close to shaving the whole thing off . Bubble wrap can be very difficult to put up and stay up , the sides are fine it's the top that's very tricky . I do use packing tape and a glue to try to hold it . Some years it stays on some years it doesn't. I hope your wine and spaghetti dinner was delicious mine was but I felt like a beer instead of wine , it's all good . Maybe next time I won't have a beer before I cut my hair . I hope you have a great night Maggy .

Mike glad to hear your mom is recovering but I feel her pain with teeth . Mine are always causing me some kind of grief , I don' t understand I brush my teeth once a year like everyone else right lol . Beautiful here today another polar plunge next week , lovely. Mike my Greenhouse is very light but it still was a 2 man job . I would love to see how you cover your greenhouse . I am more curious to see what the cover looks like. Mike I hope you have a great weekend .

Brian

o

Hi Mike and Brian. It is another sunny ,beautiful day here. I just finished feeding and caring for my trees. I noticed that most of the buds have fallen off my lime tree. It had about 40 buds but seems only 10 are left. Not sure why? It looks healthy.
Mike I am sorry to hear that your Mom is feeling depressed. She certainty has been though a lot .Often the trauma of unexpected illness and even anesthetic can cause mood changes. Hopefully it will improve soon. I can tell you are worried about her. Sounds like your vacation is finished .
Thank you for the encouragement re. The solar cover. I think if you can find the picture of it secured it would help a lot. I am still thinking about using it.
Brian, actually the prime rib was the only thing that was still frozen. It was sad to throw out so much stuff but not worth taking a chance getting sick.
Your hair cutting incident is hilarious . Too funny.My husband says you can get a hair cut in Windsor for $17. I sure wish it was that cheap for women.
Are you thinking about the solar cover as well.. Sounds like the bubble wrap has it's problems.
The dinner and wine was really good. Maybe a little too much wine ! Feeling a bit sluggish today but was fun at the time. It was such a nice evening we sat outside for a few hours. Almost like being in the country with all the trees and we can't see the neighbours at all .
Hope you have a great time at the cottage. Have fun. And have a great week- end ,You too Mike.warmest wishes. Maggy

o

Still trying to find my darn pics!

But here is an ,example forum for you ))

Here is a link that might be useful: Solar verses bubble wrap

o

Here Maggy and Brian. This is the one I have. I think they sell to Canada and cheap

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool cover

o

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info re the solar cover. I will look into it. Do you think sometime if can find the picture of yours secured that you could send it .
Have a great week- end. Maggy

o

Maggyby,

I have a 12' x 16' greenhouse that sits on railroad ties and is about 3 ft above ground level. Fortunately my door is at ground level, the door adjustment being made when it was originally installed, so I don't have to lift my trees over the wood base like Brian does. The raised base does give me additional head room, which is especially good for hanging plants. It greatly increases the capacity of the greenhouse. I put up the shade cloth etc. by myself by tying a rope to one side through a grommet, attach a weight or the rest of the rope rolled into a ball, and throw the ball or weight over the top of the greenhouse. Make sure you use a soft weight that will not crack the greenhouse "glass" if you miss and don't clear the roof when you toss it. ;>). I then find the rope on the other side and use it to pull the shadecloth or cover over the roof. I then tie it down with bungee cords. My sister keeps hers tied down by spreading deer netting over the top and tying that down as her greenhouse is more exposed to the wind than mine. It is pretty easy. I have gas heater vent pipes that it sometimes gets caught on but I can usually get it free with a long stick. If your greenhouse is attached or semi attached to your house like my sisters is, you can throw the cover out one of the house windows if there are any on the same side and work from above. I usually don't even have to climb up on a ladder, and the peak must be 11 or 12 feet tall. I grow mostly orchids and citrus inside. Lately the citrus are crowding out the orchids and I now need a bigger or additional greenhouse. I also grow many plants under lights in my basement. I am enjoying your threads and enthusiasm.

Cory

o

Maggyby,

I have another idea that may help you keep the bubble wrap up in the inside of your greenhouse if you decide to go that route rather than the pool cover. I have used spring-tension curtain rods stretched between the greenhouse "glasses" ribs in the roof and sometimes even the sides. They help to support the bubble wrap from sagging after it has been up a while. Interior shade cloth or sheer curtains can be supported this way also if you need to provide temporary shading for some plants. Install them at the time you are putting up the bubble wrap as it is a pain trying to get them up later once the plants are in there. As Brian says the tape often comes loose from the humidity and sun. I also use a special tape that is made for freezing conditions which holds up much better than normal packing tape. I get it at HD or Lowe's. I think it is made by Frost King. It is worth the extra expense and holds up outdoors even for more than one season.

Cory

o

Cory, it is so nice to have your input. It is very much appreciated. I really find it helpful to know what has worked for others. Neither my husband or myself are very "technically" inclined so this information helps. I am thinking the pool cover might be the way to go but haven't exactly decided. The tape that is for below freezing is another option for the bubble wrap.Normally here in Southern Ontario our winters are fairly mild. Last winter of course was the exception. It was colder than it had been for many years. I want to do what is best for the trees and protect them. This has been a learning curve for me but now that I have a few citrus I really love everything about them. Very beautiful trees . I started with 3 trees a few months ago and now have 7 . That number will increase once I go to Toronto next week- end. What citrus do you have? I see you also grow orchids. They are so beautiful. Funny how soon the greenhouse doesn't seem big enough anymore.
I am not sure I can get the tape here in Canada but we are only 10 min. From Detroit. So can always look there.
Thank you again for the information and helpful suggestions. Maggy

o

Hi Cory

Could you post some pictures of your setup. I have layed out the plans for my lean-too south side of house and I am looking for ideas to make for a better set up.

Steve

o

Maggy so glad the prime ribs were saved . Maggy it is a beautiful hot day here . We sat out on the patio till about 10.00 last evening it was so beautiful , perfect temperature and no mosquitos . My Kishu is starting to grow new branches all over . How are your new babies doing ? Looking forward to the cottage . Take out on the way up , almost 2 hrs drive . Lots of good ideas from Mike and Cory . I would try Mikes idea but the GH is way to close to the fence and we have a plum tree at the other end of the GH. I am quit interested in this tape that is good for below freezing temperatures , thx Cory I am going to check it out next week .Mike thx for the pictures and the great info , hope you have nice convertible weather this weekend. Maggy you have a great weekend maybe prime rib and a caesar tomorrow , nice cold beer waiting for me at the cottage . I think Maggy we will have to stop talking about alcohol people will think we have a drinking problem lol.

Cory Steve you guys have a great weekend.

Brian

o

Maggyby,

I had 4 dwarf citrus that I grew in containers for many years that were taken away by the ocean along with several hundred orchids and a good portion of my beach house during Hurricane Sandy. When I was looking for replacement trees I got so interested in all the varieties available on the internet that I now have 28 trees in 5 gallon containers, 10 in 3 gallon pots and a variety of about 30 seedlings I have grown from seeds from fruit from the grocery store. So, I understand how quickly your collection is growing. I have all the varieties you and Brian, Mike, and Steve have been talking about including a Dekopan (Suma or Shiranui) and Xie Shan I bought from Harris Citrus in Florida this Spring. The citrus trees are taking over most of my greenhouse growing space (in northern NJ) and thus my orchid growing space now. Steve, my greenhouse is stand-alone, about 25 ft. from my house. I heat it with two vented gas heaters and I ran gas, electricity and water from my house to it underground. Right now the greenhouse is empty while I clean and disinfect it for winter and the return of all the plants. All the orchids are outdoors hanging in the yard under trees, from closet rods run between tomato ladders that I disassemble and put away for the winter. Maggyby, I am not that handy either, so I make use of common stuff I can use for tables, shelving, and hanging racks so that I don't have to use much construction skills. I like things that are portable so that I can change my growing areas configurations as the best setup seems to change annually with the growth and types of my plants in my collection each year. I always wonder how I will fit all the plants back in the greenhouse or under the cellar grow room lights each autumn when I have to bring them back inside. It is so much easier to care for them outdoors. The citrus trees are lined up mostly along my house's foundation or scattered around the yard with my various tropical container plants among the trees and bushes in the yard. I really enjoy the many growth cycles the young trees go through each year and check them all a few times a day to see what's new be it foliage, flowers or fruit. I learned from Mike's posts about the great benefits of spraying with fish emulsion. I had a scale problem on my orchids that I just could not eradicate before I tried the fish emulsion. Now I use it regularly on all my plants and haven't had scale for two years. I also use his rosemary essential oil formula for spider mites. My trees are planted in the 5-1-1 mix and I fertilize with Dyna Grow's Foliage Pro, Osmocote Plus minors slow release granules, as well as the Alaskan Brand fish emulsion. Steve, I had a 3 year old Meiwa kumquat that suddenly died when I brought it back in the greenhouse in last autumn after growing really well last summer and it was covered in fruit. I haven't figured out what happened to it as it died suddenly and never came back. I guess they are tricky. I have a Fukushu kumquat about the same age that was not affected by the move inside at all, and its many fruits ripened throughout the winter. None of my other trees were affected by the move either.
I hope I don't have any casualties thus autumn. Steve, your rooftop garden is beautiful. Do you have one of those rubberized roof under the soil? Did you have to put additional bracing to hold the weight of the soil? I have a garage with a second story space that i have always thought about adding sky lights in the roof and making it an additional cooler growing growing space. I have worried about the floor getting wet and also being able to hold all the weight of the container plants. It would be a nice area to grow my cymbidium and other cooler growing orchids and plants. Everyone, enjoy your vacations and weekends and continued growing of your citrus trees.

Cory

o

Cory. You're an image of what I like to do a grow. Nice to have you !

I love all your ideas and boy do I hate the thought of cooler nights ahead so quickly. I have been very in tune with the weather and weather pattern around my parts and it spells doom for my plants this summer. A very short growing season. Cooler than normal temps for us while the western half of the stars fries. I wish they would share their heat into the fall. But all the weather stations around her agree with me that the polar express is not done with us this summer leading to an unusual cold August Just thinking about it makes me shudder. I already cleaned my greenhouse and now I'm making room on the porch to bring in my trees at night within a couple of weeks.

I love Orchids too. I have dozens of them. They are what still occupies my greenhouse. I hate the thought of having to make room for other plants yet to come in. I never have a pest problem in there thank goodness.
I love the idea that Brian has of setting my house up higher like yours but I have no idea how I'm am going to lift it.

Do you have pics of your orchids? Do you have a favorite? Mine are all fragrant. One I'm in love with.
You sound like you have it algal together. 5.1.1, slow release, foliage pro and oils. Great job! Lots of trees. Nice. Sorry you lost one like that. It happens for no apparent reason no matter what we do. Strange. I just lost one too.

Brian and Maggy. Hello! Boy do I wish we could all get together. The next time Any of you are in Mass. Please let me know. I would love to have you for a visit.
Brian. You can help me lid my house up. Lol

Maggy. My mom had a small drink of vegetable and fruit and vegetable protein made in the blender and then got sharp pains. Strange. I think it's because it blouts you. She also thanks you for your kind words Along with Brian's.

Steve. Hope you are well too. I was trying to find your roof set up. I like it too. I wish I could grow my plants on mine. It's the only spit with more than 5 hours of sun. You do have a great idea with that one. Please link us to that post you made with pics of your roof top garden. I like it.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

Mik

o

Good morning,Brian,Mike,Cory Steve. Wow? A lot of very good information here. Cory I agree with Mike,it is good to have you here. So sorry to hear Sandy was responsible for your loss of trees and part of your beach house. How unfortunate. It is nice to know you have replaced your collection. You have a large amount of citrus now and of course your orchids. I also would love to see pictures.
Mike thanks for the link re bubble wrap vs solar blanket. Very interesting. What size solar blanket would I need for an 8x6 greenhouse. ? I am still struggling with a visual of how it would fit. Do you cut out the vents so you can open them when it is warmer? Do the bubbles go on the inside or facing out.? I hate the thoughts of cold and snow as much as you do but normally we are warmer than Boston. Mike thank you for your nice thoughts and invitation . How sweet of you. I can only imagine how much fun that would be. A group of citrus enthusiasts together.
I am not surprised you Mom got pain after have some vegetable,fruit shake. It takes a while for the body to adjust and the liver takes over the function of that the gall bladder used to accomplish . If you want I can send you so post operative diet information or perhaps the hospital has provided it. Does you Mom have any hobbies? . I find rug hooking extremely relaxing and satisfying . I often lose track of time and become totally absorbed in the activity. Not to mention the creative aspect. I am kind of like that with my trees as well. So I know you can understand. A hobby can be very therapeutic. I would love to see your orchids as well.
Brian, hope you are enjoying the cottage. You are right ,we don't want to give the impression we like alcohol. At least I am sure it is in moderation. Wouldn't want to create a false impression.
I have a couple of questions. Both my Meyer lemon And lime trees are dropping their fruit. Could it be the mixture they are in? It is staying quite wet. I haven't put them in the 5-1-1 mix yet as I am having trouble finding bark. When you sterile and clean the greenhouse before winter do you use bleach?
It is so nice to be part of this amazing forum and to read your posts. So interesting and what great people you all are.
This is the week we go to Toronto and can't wait to see what new trees I can find.
Still no progress on our basement. Picked out the tiles on Friday and have to wait until they are ordered and arrive. Such a slow process.
My best regards to you all and enjoy your day. Maggy

o

Hello Maggy I hope you had a great weekend . I had such a relaxing weekend at the cottage , I feel like mush very therapeutic . Very off and on weather this weekend , one minute beautiful sunshine then big black clouds with huge downpours . It is normal for some fruit drop , actually a fair amount of drop . When the tree gets larger it will hold on to more fruit . For me some trees may drop up to 60% which still leaves me lots of fruit. Some of my trees like clemenules barely lost any fruit last year which is not good almost killed my tree last winter was not big enough to support all the fruit it had on it . When you have to many fruit on the trees they do not grow to full size and they really don't taste great . This year I thinned out the fruit on my trees , it's all about quality not quantity . Have you seen any decline in the health of your tree other then fruit drop if you have I would repot soon . Maggy maybe you could hook a blanket to throw over the GH for those real cold nights in the winter lol. Believe it or not Maggy on those cold nights when the temperature drops below minus 10 F I throw a sleeping bag over the top of the greenhouse . You cannot believe the difference it makes the temperature inside the greenhouse will rise 5 degrees very quickly .

Mike that sounds like it would be a blast Maggy would cook the prime rib and I will make the margarita's . Mike how heavy is your GH . My GH is very light . You should not have a problem lifting the GH with a friend . I have to put in a new floor this year in my GH , totally rotted . We are also debating whether or not to buy a bigger greenhouse maybe a 6x12 .Mike 65 degrees tomorrow with rain a sign of things to come . Hope you and your mom are doing fine .

Cory it is so nice to have you on this forum . Thankyou for all the great information . I can't imagine what you went through , when I read that you went through Sandy I became emotional. You are a very strong and positive person , it's so nice you have found your way here , there is so much we can learn from you .

Everybody have a great night.

o

Hi Brian,I am so glad you had a relaxing week- end . It does sound wonderful. The weather here this afternoon has been mainly stormy. Lots of rain,thunder and lightening and high winds . My lime tree got blown over so I had to rescue it It was grafted in 2010 so it is 4 yrs old. I am not too worried about the fruit dropping as it does otherwise look very healthy. The canapy is getting big so it does get blown over . I brought it inside for tonight. I do need to repot it in the 5-1-1 mix. I was hoping I could wait until after my trip to Toronto. Brian do I continue to fertilize even when there is fruit starting on the tree. ? Do you stop fertilizing once they are in the greenhouse? The two trees I got from Dave are growing new leaves already. They are nice trees. I brought them inside also as I thought they might be too delicate for the strong wind.
Mike as Brian said the greenhouse is very light. My husband and the man we bought it from lifted it over our fence .Yes what a time we would have in Boston. I would definitely make the prime rib.
I didn't realize that too much fruit on the tree is not a good thing, but that makes sense. Interesting about the sleeping bag over the top as well. I keep trying to decide bubble wrap or solar cover.
Brian if you get a bigger greenhouse will you keep this one as well.? Funny how I am getting used to seeing the spiders . They usually hide when I am around. It has become a routine visiting the greenhouse every day. Almost all my tomato's outside are now gone, taken by the squirrels,even though we put up a wire fence. They are hard to deter . Frustrating .
It is really nice having Cory here. It is hard to imagine going through the devastation of Sandy. Thanks Cory for all the information and hope you will be able to show us some pictures of your trees and orchids..
It seems like the week- ends go by quickly. I canned yellow beans yesterday,bathed the dogs,rug hooked,cooked and before I knew it the day was over. Today was for relaxing and no agenda. Nice.
Mike hope all is well and that your Mom continues to improve.
Take care you all. Have a good night. Always nice chatting with you here. Maggy

o

Maggy hi is there anything you can tie your trees to ? All mine are tied to something . Yes keep fertilizing until you bring your trees in. I don't no where you find all the energy can you lend me some . You will have to let me know the different varieties of citrus you see . It sounds like you are going to have a great time ,I am so jealouse . Have a great night Maggy . I have to go DODO 's now up at 4.30

Brian

o

Hi Brian, thank you so much for the advise. I tied those babies to the railing by the front Door. I used some cotton cord that I have for binding my rugs. It is soft so won't damage the trunks . Today is very dark,dreary and windy. Not to mention cool. I expect it to rain any minute. Mike was right the trees seem to like storms. They are growing like weeds.
I was amazed how fragrant the lime tree was inside . Every time I walked by it I could smell the lime scent.
In just a few days I will be able to check out the "trees in Toronto" .I am excited and of course we get to spend time with our kids and grandkids.
Getting up at 4.30 must be difficult. .i would be a zombie. As far as energy I don't really have a lot either. I enjoy doing the canning and pickling,preserving.
Brian do you have a floor in your greenhouse. ? My husband is starting to like having the greenhouse and he was happy when I brought him fresh green peppers for his salad last night.
Today is a good day for rug hooking. I am making it for a friend.
Have a great day.Maggy

o

Hello friends,

Thank you for encouraging me to join in with your postings. Maggy, I also hook rugs but I haven't made any for quite a while. Maybe you have inspired me to start again. I actually have a large one that is about 3/4s done that I just haven't had time to get back to. I started "hooking" when I was 5 years old. My mother and grandmother hooked rugs and all my sisters and cousins. Many of my mother's and grandmother's rugs are pretty worn out so I mostly don't have them on my floors any more. My mother used to repair my grandmother's so I should repair all the worn ones I still have. My grandmother's were real works of art as some parts of the designs are raised. Mine are just one level. Back to the greenhouse and citrus. I am currently using liquid dish soap and water to clean off the algae, which is very thick this year as I keep the humidity high and the coating that came on the panels has long since worn off I think. Other years I have used diluted Physan or bleach (10 -1) to disinfect, but this year I am thinking of trying vinegar instead; no bleach spots on my clothes and maybe easier on my lungs to breathe. I'll let you know how it works. The past few days it got to 115°F in there even though the extractor fan and other fans were going full speed. So I gave up on the cleaning until it gets to be a cooler day, like today as it is raining. I have a lot of the ceiling to do which is a messy job. I don't have a real "floor" in my greenhouse. I was advised to put down a 1" size blue stone layer about 6 - 8 inches deep if I remember. Nothing to rot out, I can spray it down with water to increase the humidity in the greenhouse, it acts as a heat sink to keep temperatures from rapidly swinging, and the larger size stones are supposedly easier on your legs for standing long times than smaller stones. My railroad tie base is partially underground too to act as insulation. The downside is that when I knock plants over it is hard to pick up the soil and bark chips. It is very time consuming to pick them out of the gravel/stones. I also can not just sweep out all the debris of fallen leaves and stuff that accumulates. But, picking them up is not too hard. I also lay those rubber mats that fit together like puzzle pieces in the pathways which help a lot with cleanup. I was afraid they might get moldy or slippery, but they don't. I also have a hydrofogger on a humidistat to keep up the humidity. Brian, if you do get a larger greenhouse, keep your old one if you can. I always wish I had another one or mine was large enough to provide a different temperature climate in a closed off section. I would love to have a cooler one and a warmer one, especially for my orchids as I grow both cooler growing species such as cymbidiums and odontoglossoms and warmer growing such as vandas, phalaenopsis and angraecums. It is hard to keep them all happy in one greenhouse, although mostly not impossible as there are microclimates in every greenhouse. Brian, I had never thought of tying my plants to something to keep them from blowing over. I could even sink a stick in the ground nearby and tie the plant to that. I have slid a stick through the pot and out one of the holes to try and stabilize them which works pretty well too. Mike, I hope your mother is feeling better each day. Steve, I haven't attempted to post photos so will have to read up on how to do it when I get some time. I am not much of a photographer but do take pictures with my phone as a record of plant growth and bloom times. I have the impression that I have to download them to some photo website and post through there rather directly from the phone like sending them with an email. I will have to look into that. I mostly use a smartphone now and don't connect with my laptop that much. My trees are all growing but not as good as I would like. I think Mike is right about the weather being too cool at times this year. I put mine out probably earlier than I should have this Spring and had to bring them in again several times because of freezing temperatures. I think that has slowed them down this year. We had a cold spring. Also, this summer has either been too hot and then suddenly too cool and I think they may be having a hard time adjusting to the constant change. They are growing, but the growth is not as lush as other years although the growing 5-1-1 medium is in good condition and I am fertilizing with Foliage Pro, Osmocote Plus, and fish emulsion and they are getting enough sunlight. I don't think my orchids are doing as well either although I am getting nice multiple blooms on some. I expected more growth on my cymbudiums, but again maybe all those 90°F+ days has slowed them up as I think plants stop growing above 85°F. Maggy, enjoy your vacation and tree hunting expedition. That will be fun.

Cory

o

Cory, you hook rugs. How awesome is that. And since age 5 .Wow! You can tell I am very excited. It is so special that you have your Mother's and Grandmother's rugs. They are heirlooms and I agree they are works of art. I am not so fortunate to learn at an early age but started about two years ago. We have a small group of ladies here that meet every second Sat. I absolutely love it. Do you prefer traditional or hooking with wider cuts? I really am drawn toward the smaller cuts and fine shading. It gives definition to the rug and a great way to be artistic. Almost like an artist painting. I love bright colour .i would love to see pictures of your inherited rugs. Also your orchids. I promised my self I would continue to learn new things and that is how I discovered rug hooking and growing citrus in containers.
Brian, imagine having two greenhouses for your trees. That would allow you to have even more.
Mike I have a couple of questions. Could you elaborate on spraying with fish emulsion. How often ,etc .Also on another post John mentioned that feeding citrus when they are in bloom could cause the blossoms to drop and the tree to not set fruit and grow more leaves. Due to too much N I think. Could you comment on how that relates to dyna Gro or do you continue with feeding every week when trees are outside. Do you stop feeding in the winter? How is your Mom? Hope she is getting better every day.
The electrician was here this morning. He will install an outdoor plug outlet sometime in Sept. He told me to buy a 12.2 extension cord. Have no clue what that means or what gauge etc. I hope one of you can advise me.
It is cold here now as well. I do believe summer is passing us by.
Brian what a great idea it was to tie the trees.
Cory. You seem to have everything under control . Your greenhouse sounds like it functions well. Do you insulate for winter? I have a treated wooden floor that is insulated . That should help some. Thanks for the cleaning tip. I think I will not use bleach either as I have asthma . I use vinegar a lot for cleaning inside so it should work fir the greenhouse.
Take care everyone.Maggy

o

Hi Maggy it iso cold and damp here it feels like September . Maggy I am happy you tied up your trees you will never have to worry about them getting blown over and damaged . All mine are tied to either the pool or to railings with bungie cords . It took me a couple of years to figure that out , I used to have a many of trees damaged by the wind knocking them over. I am re doing the GH floor with plastic skids . In the past I used wood skids and plywood not a bad way of doing it but only lasts about 4 years . They are calling for a beautiful warm weekend this long weekend definitely back to the cottage we will go . Not as nice as going citrus shopping . Your right Maggy , Dave's plants are amazing tons of new growth all over my Kishu. Maggy I am not sure but I think my cactus is going to flower , buds all over the top. I just took this picture about 20 minutes ago , the sun is trying to peek out.

Cory I would love to keep the other one for starting my spring flowers and vegetables but I just don't have the room . It is amazing how well geraniums do in the GH in the winter. My better half would rather have flowers in the GH instead of the citrus I think and if we get a bigger one I will just keep buying more citrus and there would still be no room for the flower's.

Brian

o

Brian, what a beautiful picture.looks like paradise. Definitely a labour of love.I can see why you and you wife like to sit outside . I can understand your wife wanting to grow flowers in the greenhouse . That was the same with the guy I bought the greenhouse from. He had it full of tomato's and she had flowers hanging everywhere. If you get the new greenhouse you must make room for your wife to grow her flowers.So you grow cacti. In my other life I had a collection of orchid cacti. They would bloom and fill my house with such colour. And some were scented. I couldn't bring them when I moved. It will be so neat if your cactus flowers. I want to see pictures of it in bloom There are so many things I would like to grow but I would need a gigantic greenhouse. I am surprised my lime tree didn't get-damaged in the high winds. I would never have thought of tying the trees. Thank you.
I am making Yorkshire puddings to go with the prime rib tonight.They are in the oven now.
The weather here is cold and fall-like as well. Not nice. The nice dinner will be a mood Enhancer.
You have a long week- end at the cottage. I think that will be as great as citrus shopping. Nothing like relaxing and no worries. I will let you know what trees I find.
Yes Dave's plants are great. I will check to see what citrus he has in the future.it was really nice of him to mail them to us and to let us have them before they were ready for selling. He is a very nice man.
I have to go play cards with my other half. We played three games of cribbage last night and he won all three. Time to even the score. Enjoy your evening. Maggy

o

Maggy did you say Prime rib ? Ah the advantages of retirement . Good call if I had been home today I probably would have cooked one myself , like you said mood enhancer . Thankyou for your kind words . Sometimes I wonder why we go up to the cottage when are backyard is like a cottage . It's a very relaxing backyard to look at after all the work . Were those Christmas cactus you used to grow ? Love my cactus , when we bought it 9 years ago it was the height of the pool . It takes 3 people to bring it in . Revenge is sweet Maggy here is hoping for you tonight in your crib tournament . We used to play crib along time ago very fun game . I think I am going to have to look for my crib board . It's been so long I don't know if I can remember how to play . I guess I will have to Google that .

Hope you have a fantastic rematch and a great night.

Brian

o

Maggy,

Growing orchid cactus is another thing we have in common. Most of mine are relatively small now as they are replacements since the storm. My sister has really large plants that are full of flowers every year. Speaking of storms, I hope that tornado that hit the Boston area did not damage Mike's property. I hope he checks in later tonight to tell us he is ok. Brian, your yard is just so beautiful! Just perfect! And your citrus trees are so nice. Mine are still sticks compared to yours. I used to have geraniums on all my decks and everywhere around my beach house in window boxes. I overwintered them on my two unheated south facing sun porches along with my cooler growing orchids and tropical plants. They grew and bloomed very well there. I put bubble wrap on the wall of windows across the front and sides for added insulation. But everything was lost in the storm. I miss that extra growing space. I start geraniums from seed every year since I was very young. It has turned into a tradition for me, but the past few years I have had a hard time finding the seed packages in the stores and had to order them over the internet. Geraniums do really well in the 5-1-1 mix. I was astonished how fast the seedlings grew when I first tried transplanting them into it a few years back. Maggy, I'm not sure what you use to hook your rugs. We have used various things. My grandmother used very fine yarn and hers were sculpted and very fine detail. My mother would use various things depending what she could find. Just after WWII they would get burlap covers from army mattress covers and that was used as the backing to hook into. She and her sister made rugs for their floors as things were scarce and expensive. Initially she and her sister used worsted weight wool yarn. Their sister in law also made rugs after learning from them. All their rugs are so different styles. Different yarn heights, probably due to different hand size, and the hand drawn patterns reflect the different personalities. All of their designs seemed to get more abstract and colorful as they got older. After a while my mother started using strips of wool fabric instead of the wool yarn. She and I also braided rugs from wool strips from the family's no longer used wool clothing. It was fun to look at the rugs and remember the family's old outfits. We also made some of cotton strips too. We made one for a present for my cousin when she first got married as she needed a rug for her living room. She liked it so much that later she enlarged it for her new larger living room. Our rugs have gotten a lot of wear and tear as we are large families. I guess I just took them for granted when I see people hanging theirs on the wall. When we were young children and our house was for sale people would come and ask if the rugs were for sale. People were more interested in the rugs than the house. We got a good laugh out of that! If we had sold the rugs we would have nothing for the floors in our new house. None of us are active rug hookers at the moment, actually for many years now, but usually when one starts something it gives incentive to the others. Unfortunately most of the rugs are pretty much in tatters as they were well used and I think the burlap backings just wore out from old age and much use. I imagine the backing materials are much stronger materials today. We even made stair carpets. I have also used the prefabricated latch rug backings more recently and a latch hook, but the original rugs were burlap and we used a crochet hook. We all knit and crochet, sew, do embroidery and cross stitch, and quilt but now more as a hobby than need as in the old days. All my gardening takes time from my handwork. I inherited the gardening genes from my mother too.

Cory

o

Good morning ,Sun is shinning in Windsor once again. A beautiful day but the nights are really cool.
Brian your backyard is like a beautiful paradise. We often feel like we are in the country when sitting out because of all the trees around the perimeter . But yours is exotic .almost like being in the tropics. It is really nice . .
Cribbage is a fun game .sometimes we play with another couple.I am waiting for our basement to get fixed before I invite them again. ( that might be the 12th of never) .The cactus I used to grow were not Christmas Cactus .they were(Epiphyllum) orchid cactus . The flowers grow along the sides of the leaves and they are beautiful. This is a picture of one from the internet.
Cory I can't believe you also grow orchid cacti. Now that we started talking about them I have decided that I can grow some ,especially since I have the greenhouse now. They can hang from the top . So I am going to look for cuttings. I need a bigger greenhouse.LOL! They are difficult to find in Canada. When I was still in Halifax a very nice gentleman from South Africa whom I met on the garden web sent me over 30 cuttings from his garden. They were so beautiful. We corresponded for over 10 years . During that time he moved to Calgary with his wife and 5 children. A lovely family but around 2009 he got lung cancer and passed away .so very sad. I wish I hadn't had to leave those plants behind but when I moved here in 2007 I couldn't bring them. I can understand how difficult it must have been for you to lose the things that were meaningful to you. I have never grown geraniums from seed .Maybe I should try. I have a grow light that might be helpful.
Your story about your families rugs is so interesting. The history of rug hooking is very fascinating. Yes,people used their old woollen clothing to make rugs . and some still do. Have you ever heard of the Glenfell foundation in Newfoundland. After WW 11 Dr. Glenfell asked women to send old nylon stocking and the ladies of the community dyed them and made rugs,which they sold to raise money for charity. Apparently women from all over the world sent their old nylons. Those rugs now sell for high prices as they are very sought after. In fact I am going to make my next rug out of nylons which I will dye . I actually have a Glenfell pattern. It is a polar bear on an ice flow .Presently I use 100% wool! which I cut into strips. I actually have 3 cutters with different sized wheels I use to make my strips. The wool is very expensive about $30/ yard. However when I decided to start rug hooking I found a lady in Ontario who was selling all her equipment ,including about 5 large garbage bags of wool. My husband was so kind to drive me 4 hours away to buy it.I also found my cutters second hand as they are over $300 each. I have a floor Frame with gripper strips that hold the material while I hook. I have a portable one that I take to the group or when travelling to a workshop etc. I use linen as a backing or rug warp. Burlap is much less expensive but I don't care for it. It sometimes frays and it does not hold up well for wear as you know.I know these days some people use other fabric besides wool. Some use yarn as your grandmother did. It is fascinating hearing about your family rugs. You sound like a very creative family. How nice to be able to pass on the craft and tradition. Each of those rugs tell a story.
Mike hope you are o.k. Your weather has been not so good I hear.
Brian in just a few days we will be citrus shopping. How will I ever decide what to buy. I think I am going to run out of room. What a shame you can't keep your present greenhouse if you get a new one.Then your wife could have it to grow her flowers. I noticed last night that my husband was in the greenhouse eating cherry tomato's .I think he is liking the idea of it.
So far today I have done nothing except eat and play . I had better make an effort to do some housework. Or at least pretend. Have a great day.Maggy

o

Maggy hello I guess you didn't win the grudge match , I haven't heard you bragging and I was hoping for you. That is a beautiful epiphylum cactus . The flowers are gorgeous do they have a scent ? They would look so nice in your new GH. Thanks for your nice words Maggy about the backyard , it is my tropical get away and you only see half I also have a huge palm tree and a lychee tree .
Maggy your cactus I am sure I saw one of those this year at one of the many Nurseries I visited this year , I wish I could remember which one. Another cool cloudy day here but I will take it when I hear what is going on in the rest of the continent , crazy stuff . I hope you are alright Mike . This is the reason I am terrified of thunderstorms because you just never know . When I was young I thought thunderstorms were kind of cool , but I never owned anything back then . 3 more days Maggy very excited for you and I can really sense your excitement. I hope you have lots of fun .

Cory thx for the very nice words . Your trees will be just as big soon enough my friend. As you know citrus can grow pretty fast and then it will be oh know now where am i going to put these. I hope your weather is better than here very cool and damp . Geraniums are probably one of the easiest plants you can propagate . Every year when i bring them out of the greenhouse I always manage to break a few stems . I just take those stems and plop them straight into the ground and within 2 week they are rooted . Probably just as easy as propagating figs .

Everybody have a great night

o

Hi Brian, you don't really expect me to brag do you? Normally we are pretty close ,win some. Lose some. My luck has not been so good lately. The cactus does not have a scent but there is one called Queen of the night and it scents the whole house. It only blooms one night a year. I don't know how I will fit everything in the greenhouse. I also have a big bay leaf tree and a lemon bay rum tree to go in there. Depends on how many trees I buy but might have to over winter some things in the house. I am fascinated by the citrus trees though.I think it is the challenge of growing them and the fact that they require care in this climate.I still have 9 little clove trees that eventually will be huge,a big allspice tree and the cinnamon tree I cut completely back is growing new leaves. The spice trees grow well inside the house and the greenhouse might get too cold for them. Are you getting your new greenhouse before winter? Do you grow the Geraniums from seed?
Well no cooking tonight. Leftover prime rib. Easy .
I have never been scared of storms but do have a respect for Mother Nature and the unpredictability that can occur ,as Cory has experienced.
I am really looking forward to the trip .It will be good for my husband to get a break. Good thing we have a van. Lots of room to bring home all the trees.
I too am wondering if Mike is alright.
Take care. Enjoy the evening. Maggy

o

Well well well Maggy I do recall some one bragging about how they make the best prime rib in the whole wide world lol. I am taking it you lost , that's okay it's not always about winning . If you won all the time your husband wouldn't want to play with you . To funny that you guys have a van to , sell it right now or you will be in the same prediction as me too many plants lol . That's why we bought are new SUV , there is not as much room to place citrus in . But I still manage a way to buy new ones , through the mail , I never thought I would resort to such measures . I think the greenhouse if we buy would be next spring . We were thinking of putting a nice one where the pool is , and it already has all the electrical hook ups there . We just don't use the pool anymore and it is a lot of work . This year we have only been for a swim once a lot of work for nothing . If you like geraniums Maggy you did the right thing by buying th GH . They are so easy to grow in there and are very easy to root from stems . I do not grow from seed . So your up to about 7 trees now to go into the GH this winter your catching up to me . Maggy just remember citrus trees grow very fast and in no time they will completely fill your GH . I still have not learned that , I have absolutely no room and I bought the Kishu. This collecting thing really is a disease a good disease but still a disease . Ah we only live once . Jealous you got to play in the garden today and that you again ate prime rib for supper . I sure miss playing in the garden . Well you have a fantastic night and day tomorrow and try to get some sleep , I am sure your trying to figure out what varieties to buy on the weekend .

Brian

o

Man, I started reading bthis just before I left work and couldn't finish! JUst to let you know I am thinking of you all and I'll be back to answer questions and give an update..

Have a wonderful night friends!

MIke

o

Maggy,

Thanks for telling me about how you hook your rugs and the cutting equipment and frames you have. Your rugs must be beautiful. I would like to see them. We didn't have cutters to make the strips. We just cut them with scissors. How wide are your fabric strips? It sounds like maybe you use a punch hook? We do not use a frame either but I guess we could. Do you cut your loops like we do? Sometimes we don't cut them though. Always experimenting. When I was in Nova Scotia I wanted to see some rugs, but one of the places that had some was closed when I got there. I had once seen an article in a magazine about them and I think I may have ordered some patterns although I don't think I ever used them if I did. I once crocheted an oval shaped rug out of nylons just for the fun of it and I had a lot of nylons with runs in them. It came out fairly well. I thought i could use it in places that got wet. I don't know what happened to it...probably wore out. It was not as pretty as the wool hooked rugs but it still was nice with the different shades of brown. Your epiphyllum is beautiful. Did you give them to someone when you had to leave them? Could they send you cuttings? I probably could not send you cuttings from the US unfortunately. They are hard to find here also, but Logees has several different ones. That is where I got some of my replacements. They are very small yet though so it will be a while before they begin to bloom. I read that Mike goes to Logees too. I have a few citrus trees from there too. Brian, I grow most of my geraniums from cuttings but I like to start new different ones from seed every year just for fun. I was holding hundreds over every winter before the storm. They bloomed very well all winter on the unheated sun porches at my beach house. I don't have very many now, just a few i have grown from seed last year and they are nothing fancy. I did buy two yellow ones from Burpees this year. I hadn't had yellow ones before. If you put the new greenhouse where the pool is you could keep your old greenhouse too. It is true though that the more space you have it just gets filled up with more trees and plants. That is how it is with me. I'm glad we have heard briefly from Mike.

o

Hi Brian, just wrote a whole lot and my ipad battery died. So have to start over. Your right it isn't about winning. My husband still remembers when we were dating and I was visiting from Nova Scotia. I think I won 9 Games in a row and he says he could hear me chuckling as I walked down the hall . Too funny.
We have have an SUV. Hope the plants will fit inside. I have been doing some research today ,calling Toronto nurseries. I called Humber Nurseries,Plant World ,Sheridan Nurseries and Verneers in Welland. This is what I found available
Satsuma mandarin,murcott ( honey) mandarin.moro blood orange,tangelo,not sure which,key line,ponderosa lemon,lisbon lemon,
Ponkan clementine,kumquats and the nursery in Welland has a tangerine mandarin tree? 6 ft. $90. Not sure what that is.
So what to buy? I am thinking of Satsuma mandarin,not sure about Murcott,,key lime ponkan clementine ,tangelo or course I can't buy them all. What do you think ? I have to remember I have 7 trees plus my 3 kaffir limes I grew from seed and two bay trees to go in the green house. Is it better to buy bigger or smaller trees. ?
Do you keep you geraniums in there in the winter?
My husband had a pool for many years and said the same thing. Too much work and too little use. Will you keep your old greenhouse if you put the new one where the pool is. Would you have to have the pool removed? That sounds like a big job.
Well Brian,just too more sleeps..I am getting too excited.
Cory, yes Nova Scotia( my birthplace) and New England ) both have rich histories of rug hooking. It is nice to see that the art still exists. I use a rug hook,looks like a crochet hook . I do not use a punch. My strips can be from 1/8 to 1/2 inch depending on which cutter wheel I use on my cutter. I prefer a small,more delicate cut.
The orchid cactus are beautiful. I am sure I can locate some . The ones I gave away are not to people I have contact with. I am resourceful. Thank you for thinking about sending them from the US but you are right that is not possible. Before 9/11 I used to send and receive plants from the US but not anymore. Do you still have your beach house or did it get too damaged?
Mike. Glad you checked in. Looking forward to your update. I know we are a chatty bunch and there us a lot to read.
Warmest thoughts to you all. Maggy

o

Hello all.....

Well, it's feels like fall again with nights into the 40's about these parts...I keep telling people that if we can not get rid of this POLAR PLUNGE that happens every other day, then watch out for frost and cold by the middle of August or September...This is ridiculous while the west burns...It's all messed up..lol
I am already preparing a place in the porch for early citrus bring in on cold night and I am afarid it's coming a heck of a lot faster than anyone thinks..
This is suppose to be the hottest month of the year, July, right?lol
Are you guys ready for the Polar Plunge Musical indoors outdoors dance?

Mom has bee out of her eliment lately and I think she is slowly getting better..I dyes her hair, she had her nails painted and is lossing weight..I guess that's making her feel better..She thanks you all for your thoughts..

Maggy, mo God!!! What a cactus!! I never saw so many flowers before like that..What's your secret? Wow
Maggy.....I linked you the when I sent it..I thinks it's a 16x24 length? I'll double check on that)
Once cover is completely on, I just slice the sides and bottom to where the vent will rise and that's it. Then every year after that you will know how the cover goes back on again.
The bubbles face down..It is so easy..Trust me..Worth every cent and worth every moment to redo it!
Thank you for offering to help my mom out..Please e-mail me something if you can.

I too use Physan and dish washing soap,,I never thought to use vinegar Cory...Please let us know what you think..I wash mine once in spring and in fall..I keep everything clean of algea...It can get out of control if not kept up after a few months..

The spiders are nothing..I never se them Maggy..lol..If they are there, I forget all about them..You get hardened after a while..

Brian..What's up? What is the size of that cactus???? My goodness!! That yard is amazing..How in the world did you get those tropicals to grow like that in your yard up there..? You kidding? You actually fit those plants in your greenhouse? They look taller than my roof..ha
Prime rib sounds awesome.....Thanks for being so kind.

Cory..Wow..Seems like you and I have about the same, well exactly the same orchids and many other plants..The same routine for our greenhouse and grow them so much alike...Sheesh, wish we lived closer to help each other out..Who knows our plants like us?
I love how you wash your greenhouse out..It can be tiring though..In my forties and I just about pass out after taking everything out, then wash, then put everything back..lol sometimes I find a frog or two in the pond in there.
I can't wait to see your orchids...I should post a few pics here if Maggy doesn't mind..Maggy, what do you think? Would you like to see a few?
How about the plants in my greenhouse?

I definitely need to raise it up more..I am so limited...Thanks to Brian, I am going to do it if I can find the time and help.

Well, everyone, enjoy the heat or should I say cool days while we can before they get even colder..The writing is on the wall..The west is too hot for any high pressuer ridge to move adn while they fry, we will freeze,,,NOT looking forward to that(((

MIke

o

Hello Maggy . I have lost a many of posts by accidentally hitting a wrong button and it is funny I usually loose the ones that took me a half hour to write , so frustrating . Your head must be spinning right now trying to figure out which varieties your going to purchase . It is very confusing when there is to much to choose from . To bad we don't know the large trees variety. Maggy did you ask them if they had any fruit cocktail trees ? They are citrus trees with about 4 different varieties on them . Satumas are good they don't need alot of heat to sweeten them . My favorite is the minneola or some people call them the honeybell . I love minneolas alot of people are not that fussy about them they think they are to much to tart. I love complex tasting fruit. The leaves are a beautiful waxy green . Some leaves look like grapefruit leaves and some look like orange leaves , kind of cool . You already have a navel which do extremely well in our climate . I had a fruit off my own tree last night and it was out of this world , juicy and delicious . Ponkan is very good . I bought one and it ended up being a lemon I mean a real lemon I guess they put the wrong tag on it. Maggy do you like blood oranges , very different taste and the trees are beautiful . Seedless murcott is a very nice variety very sweet but you already have a Kishu . I would love to run 2 GH but i couldn't afford the electricity with 2 running all the time. Geraniums do extremely well in the GH . They come out in the spring as nice looking as when they went in the fall. I see 2 sleepless nights coming up for you Maggy . Let me know what varieties your leaning towards . Have a great evening .

Brian

o

Hi Mike, we are also experiencing colder than usual temperatures,especially at night..I might have to bring my trees in the sunroom at night soon. I hear you about the in and out dance.
I didn't grow that cactus.i wish. It is a picture from the internet . I used to grow them and after talking to Cory I am thinking of growing a few again. They are beautiful.
I am glad to hear your mom had some pampering. A new hair dye,pedicure and losing weight are all things that make a lady feel good. I can send along done info. Would she like diet info or something else.? Thanks for the encouragement re the solar cover. My husband is worrying that it will be too difficult but I think we should try it. When you say bubbles face down you mean toward the inside right? Do you cut a hole for the door.
I would love to see pictures of inside the greenhouse and your orchids ,definitely . Unfortunately I have been unable to open the photo bucket ones.
Brian, yes my head us spinning. I have no idea what to buy. I really want a clemenules after hearing about and seeing yours .but can't find one. I might get the ponkan,satsuma murcott,maybe a key lime. I will check out the tangerine mandarin but it is a 6 ft tree. And see exactly what it is . Do you think that it too big ? I have never had a blood orange but the tree sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. I will write them down so I can remember I have never heard of a fruit cocktail tree. Do you have one.
I will be awake tonight thinking about all those trees. I noticed some of the Toronto Nurseries are a bit pricey.
I can understand not wanting to run two greenhouses. The heating would be expensive. I am anxious to get mine ready for winter. I need an outdoor plug ,an extension cord ,a water hose,a fan,and a heater.LOL ! And maybe go back to work! To support my addiction.
Have a great evening you guys. Maggy

o

Maggy....That's right...UYou thought of the hose for winter which hardly anyone mentions..That is the only real pain in the behind other than having to dig your way through the snow to get to the greenhouse..lol

I have to use it, then I drain it out completely so water does not freeze in it..Once I forgot and had to lug the 50 foot hose into my bath tub to let it melt so I could use it again.lol..Let me tell you, on a sunny frigid day when you spray in there, everything with water, it feels like an oasis in the middle of Siberia..
I have literally pulled my shirt off after making it humid in there and sat for hours reading a book in the middle of winter...It's my getaway when I can't get away to a tropical island..

You would be surprised at how many citrus tree bloom in the middle of winter..You are going to love it.

Yes, the bubble side of the solar cover is directly resting on the the greenhouse while the smooth side is exposed to the air.
I drape the WHOLE thing over the whole greenhouse and don't cut a door way..I wrap it up like a gift..I pull the front all together then bungie cord it closed..When I need to get it, I unhook the bungie cord and lift up the front and get underneath and then let it fall behind me..It really keeps the cold out..Kind of ackward, but you get use to it...

Darn, I wish I had a pic of it during the winter..It's somewhere on this forum...I couldn't find it in my photos...Trust me, it's really easy..IT is going on 3 years with this cover and still as new.

I am sorry I missed that part about the cactus..I saw the pic and assumed it was yours..Jeesh, it's so perfect..I have tried with these for year and nothing like that.

If you are into fragrant orchids, let me know..I can tell you a couple of the most fragrant you will ever smell...My all time favorite!

I hear you about not being able to sleep, thinking about your next purchase..Try ordering a tree in winter and having to be told they can't ship it until the cold weather breaks..What a pain..

Brian, I am really thinking of Clemenules after looking at yours too..They look so happy and easy to grow? Well that is if you know what you are doing.

Maggy, yes, my Mom is resting and I would love some suggested food for her to avaiod and for how long..She is so afraid to eat anything with oil and or fats, and is afraid to eat meats too..She is starving herself and that's not good either...

Hey, does it seel like all of a sudden we lost a lot of daylight? That and besides the hot weather, what a joke..I thought we would be rewarded with a nice hot summer after such a horrible cold winter..I guess the weather forcasters were wrong again..

MIke

o

Hi Mike, After reading your last post I am all excited again about the greenhouse. It seemed overwhelming to think of winter and all the adjustments . But I can do it.,if others can. Finding a 16x24 solar cover is a bit Challenging in Canada. But I will keep looking. Most of the websites are for the US . But you have convinced me the solar cover is the way to go.
I can picture myself in there in winter. The wife of the guy I bought it from told me she would take a chair. A margarita and a book and sit in there in the winter. Sounds like a nice escape indeed. Especially since this will be the first time in 5 years we are not going to the Caribbean we are going to Portugal for 3 weeks in May instead. Lots of oranges and fresh lemons there.. I have asked this question before but is it o.k. To spray water in there with the electrical heater and fan going?
I was also wondering about spraying fish emulsion on the plants. Can you tell me about that. Do you do it while they are outside ,regularly etc? I would love to know about the fragrant orchids ,yes indeed.
I will send you some diet post op info for your Mom . I will send it to your email instead of the forum.
Speaking of weather we just had a thunderstorm,unpredicted with large hail. The poor citrus trees. The weather is weird .bad winter and no summer. Maybe we should all move South.
Thanks so much Mike.for all the guidance.
I am dreaming about buying new trees .
Take care.Maggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here